Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Oops sorry. The price was for A380 not A330 cos my friend was comparing the A380 and the A500.
    so a brand new a330 from ms shop, will cost me 1k..with the 50mm lens and 2yr extended warranty?

Oops sorry. The price was for A380 not A330 cos my friend was comparing the A380 and the A500.
    Tell ur friend get a500 la. Street price without bargaining $1090 only

Quote Originally Posted by ian3105 View Post
    so a brand new a330 from ms shop, will cost me 1k..with the 50mm lens and 2yr extended warranty?
    Slightly more than 1k, cos its $2xx for extended warranty I digit exact cost. Or u can just buy the lens for 190. Default warranty is 15months btw.

Should be around there. Bargain to get the best deal.
    Forget to mention that if you are buying from MS Color, you would get a better price if you're paying by Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Tell ur friend get a500 la. Street price without bargaining $1090 only
    She's still undecided, but she is impressed with the cam.
    Last edited by Galdor; 15th October 2009 at 01:25 PM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Highly recommend the A330. Sony's fast AF liveview system is invaluable for taking children's pictures.

Should be around there. Bargain to get the best deal.
    Forget to mention that if you are buying from MS Color, you would get a better price if you're paying by Cash.

She's still undecided, but she is impressed with the cam.
    bingo, am impressed with the cam and read thru the specifications from the web. quite like it...so far top choice for me...all thanks you ALL for your advice....was thinking of getting DSLR for a long time..then until day before, went to Spore Flyer, i was so upset becoz i cant take good and nice pics....aarrgg....

Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Highly recommend the A330. Sony's fast AF liveview system is invaluable for taking children's pictures.
    thats what i really need!!!!

Ian if u want a compact dslr, go look at the Olympus e p1. Its so small and cute!

If u wan an easy to use dslr which won't cost u an arm and leg, get the a330 and buy the 50mm f1.8 for taking kid photos.

However if u r serious about photography and wants a pro camera, u'll be better off choosing a Canon or nikon and be prepared to spend a lot of money

Ian if u want a compact dslr, go look at the Olympus e p1. Its so small and cute!

If u wan an easy to use dslr which won't cost u an arm and leg, get the a330 and buy the 50mm f1.8 for taking kid photos.

However if u r serious about photography and wants a pro camera, u'll be better off choosing a Canon or nikon and be prepared to spend a lot of money
    of coz the Ep1 is CUTE!! the price is also really CUTE!!! haha..i like its classic/vintage outlook..so cool...

actually, the a330 is going to cost me arm and leg will upgrade to canon or nikon when i am more used to using DSLR or i begin to expect more from the quality of pics..haha...

of coz the Ep1 is CUTE!! the price is also really CUTE!!! haha..i like its classic/vintage outlook..so cool...

actually, the a330 is going to cost me arm and leg will upgrade to canon or nikon when i am more used to using DSLR or i begin to expect more from the quality of pics..haha...
    frankly... image quality wise all imaging companies are quite up to the standard already... changing camp just for higher quality is not a good reason to me... all current cameras can make good photos straight from the camera provided you know how to use it... main differences between companies are control, menus, color and contrast reproduction, ergonomic, and some other tiny things to make you happier shooter...

so in short, go out and test all those cameras you could afford and choose the one you like the control and handling most (note: try courts and harvey norman since they carry a lot of cameras under one roof, and they won't give you face if you try and not buying... can always check out those good reputation shops for better price... e.g. MS Color, TK Photo etc)... try to choose the camp you prefer most and stick to it... it's gonna cost a bomb to change camp when you got lenses and other unique to some brand's accessories...

hope this helps...
    Last edited by jaRv1s; 15th October 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    frankly... image quality wise all imaging companies are quite up to the standard already... changing camp just for higher quality is not a good reason to me... all current cameras can make good photos straight from the camera provided you know how to use it... main differences between companies are control, menus, color and contrast reproduction, ergonomic, and some other tiny things to make you happier shooter...

so in short, go out and test all those cameras you could afford and choose the one you like the control and handling most (note: try courts and harvey norman since they carry a lot of cameras under one roof, and they won't give you face if you try and not buying... can always check out those good reputation shops for better price... e.g. MS Color, TK Photo etc)... try to choose the camp you prefer most and stick to it... it's gonna cost a bomb to change camp when you got lenses and other unique to some brand's accessories...

hope this helps...

Totally agree on this point. To add, I would rather learn to push the limit of a compact camera before even consider getting a DSLR, who knows probably a compact camera is sufficient for me.
    Last edited by jctan77; 15th October 2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Simplicity, it is just an encapsulation of complexity.

Are you sure it's an "upgrade"? The A330 is better specced than many Canon and Nikon cameras in the same price range, and Sony makes the sensors for nikon cameras. If you think that Canon or Nikon automatically means better-quality pictures, you're very wrong.

Get the A330. With the live view and the tilting LCD screen (so your kid doesn't know you're getting ready to shoot, you can shoot from different angles) it will take care of everything you need.
    Alpha

I don't understand the need to defend the camera brand that one purchased, when someone else makes a comment that might seem naive or ill-informed.
    I don't feel insulted when someone comments that another brand makes better cameras than the brand I use.
    Oh well... ~shrug~
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I don't understand the need to defend the camera brand that one purchased, when someone else makes a comment that might seem naive or ill-informed.
    I don't feel insulted when someone comments that another brand makes better cameras than the brand I use.
    Oh well... ~shrug~
    It's called dispelling myths.

Does a different brand make better cameras? All brands have higher-end bodies that can take photography to a new level. Does this mean you have to switch brands to get better image quality? Absolutely not.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 15th October 2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Alpha

I agree with the point that switching camps from Sony to Canon/Nikon does not result in an increase in the quality of pictures produced, nor should it be considered an 'upgrade'.

But the general tone of the post, at least how I read it, does not sound like simply dispelling myths.
    Anyway, there's nothing more I can say before I run the risk of starting a brand war. So I'll just leave it at that.

peace. out.

lets go back to topic, before the thread gets heated up.

TS, one very important has being highlighted by Rashkae.

The Sony A330 is the only DSLR at $800 which comes with tiltable LCD screen. And this will be a useful function for taking candid photos. With the tiltable LCD screen, u can place ur camera at waist level, tilt the LCD screen and pretend u are messing around with the camera's function and secretly take photos. This is great for taking candid shots, as normally kids (and anyone for that matter) tends to pose and act unnaturally when they know someone is gonna take photos of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post

hope this helps...

yup, agree....thanks for your advice...will take my time to search and try out the cameras...

lets go back to topic, before the thread gets heated up.

TS, one very important has being highlighted by Rashkae.

The Sony A330 is the only DSLR at $800 which comes with tiltable LCD screen. And this will be a useful function for taking candid photos. With the tiltable LCD screen, u can place ur camera at waist level, tilt the LCD screen and pretend u are messing around with the camera's function and secretly take photos. This is great for taking candid shots, as normally kids (and anyone for that matter) tends to pose and act unnaturally when they know someone is gonna take photos of them.
    my apologies if i made some negative comments...pardon me as am totally new, and know very very little about dif brands and DSLR...peace ya....

android, will be heading dwn to the shops to try the a330 end of tis mth..haha..wait for salary first....

my apologies if i made some negative comments...pardon me as am totally new, and know very very little about dif brands and DSLR...peace ya....

android, will be heading dwn to the shops to try the a330 end of tis mth..haha..wait for salary first....
    yes please do go and try out the cameras in your hands and find out that suits you.

Do also think about what features are important to you, else you might get mesmerized by sales talk...
    If the salesman pushes a LiveView model to you, but you don't think LiveView is necessary, then don't get swayed. Camera shops can be intimidating

Also, don't limit your options to only 1 or 2 brands. All the brands out there make good cameras.
    My advice is to lean towards buying a camera brand that your family/friends might own. This helps. You can share knowledge, accessories, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    yes please do go and try out the cameras in your hands and find out that suits you.

Do also think about what features are important to you, else you might get mesmerized by sales talk...
    If the salesman pushes a LiveView model to you, but you don't think LiveView is necessary, then don't get swayed. Camera shops can be intimidating

Also, don't limit your options to only 1 or 2 brands. All the brands out there make good cameras.
    My advice is to lean towards buying a camera brand that your family/friends might own. This helps. You can share knowledge, accessories, etc.

ok, will take note and beware of being brainwashed! unfortunately, only my sil has got a Nikon...i dnt knw which model...other then that...i have one cousin using canon, but he is the professional type and we are not very close..haha...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast