Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    btw if u r unfamiliar with dslr, don go and get those dslr that are designed for advanced users. U will spend most of ur time trying to figure out how to use them instead of actually using them. And most times ur pictures will not come out well cos u are using the camera wrongly, or has set some settings wrongly.

    Get a beginner dslr will be a better solution. Firstly their auto modes are designed with newbies in mind, so even without the user doing any settings, the camera will still take pretty decent photos. Secondly they hv guide modes, so when u wish to explore more in depth functions rather than just using auto modes, the guodes will explain briefly what functions u r choosing and how it affects ur photos etc.

    I also recommend u to choose a dslr which has images stabalization. This is invaluable for beginners, as it gives u 3 more f stops to play with, so ur indoor shots will be much clearer than cameras without image stabalization.

    Thus I recommend the Sony a330. It has image stabalization, live view (taking photo thru lcd screen. Not all dslr hv live view), guide mode, its light weight, and most importantly it cost only $800 and comes with lens.

  2. #22
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    If budget is not a concern, u might wanna consider getting the micro 4/3 dslrs like Olympus E-P1. Its a dslr but having the size of a compact. Very cute too, to see a dslr so small sized lol

    Or u can get a beginner dslr like Sony a330. Its one of the lightest dslr around, and it has a very good auto mode as well as guide mode, so beginners can still take stunning pics with it. But they're much bigger sized than compacts though.
    i saw how the EP-1 looks like...its cool and sound very good too..you have any idea how much does it cost?

  3. #23
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    btw if u r unfamiliar with dslr, don go and get those dslr that are designed for advanced users. U will spend most of ur time trying to figure out how to use them instead of actually using them. And most times ur pictures will not come out well cos u are using the camera wrongly, or has set some settings wrongly.

    Get a beginner dslr will be a better solution. Firstly their auto modes are designed with newbies in mind, so even without the user doing any settings, the camera will still take pretty decent photos. Secondly they hv guide modes, so when u wish to explore more in depth functions rather than just using auto modes, the guodes will explain briefly what functions u r choosing and how it affects ur photos etc.

    I also recommend u to choose a dslr which has images stabalization. This is invaluable for beginners, as it gives u 3 more f stops to play with, so ur indoor shots will be much clearer than cameras without image stabalization.

    Thus I recommend the Sony a330. It has image stabalization, live view (taking photo thru lcd screen. Not all dslr hv live view), guide mode, its light weight, and most importantly it cost only $800 and comes with lens.
    yeah, thanks for your reminder...i know nothing about DSLR. that's why tot of compact in the first place..dnt wish to spend so much and yet dont know how to utilise it.

    okie, will look at the sony a330....

  4. #24

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by fixie View Post
    If you MAINLY want to take pics of your boy, yes D40 kit would be enough. No need to buy any more lenses. Its been discontinued but if I'm not wrong one or two places may still be selling it, check the Nikon thread. Or theres always the internet.

    If not fussy about brand:

    Pentax K-M ~ $800
    Sony a230 ~ $700
    Sony a230 with kit lens now cost only $600 street price. Rrp $699. However I recommend her a330 as she's a beginner, she will find live view very useful for her needs.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian3105 View Post
    i saw how the EP-1 looks like...its cool and sound very good too..you have any idea how much does it cost?
    I didn't check the price from shops, but I think its around $1.6k for body with one lens, or 1.8k for 2 lens...

    Don take my word for it, its just my estimation. Best to check with shops

  6. #26
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Sony a230 with kit lens now cost only $600 street price. Rrp $699. However I recommend her a330 as she's a beginner, she will find live view very useful for her needs.
    really appreciate...for explaining to me about Sony a330...at least i can short list a few models and head down to the shop to look at...where is a good place to buy cameras?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Sony a230 with kit lens now cost only $600 street price. Rrp $699. However I recommend her a330 as she's a beginner, she will find live view very useful for her needs.
    good call. didn't think of the live view.
    Canon 1000D | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

  8. #28
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by fixie View Post
    good call. didn't think of the live view.
    Fixie / Android,

    is it advisable to buy 2nd? saw someone selling 2nd a330 for 1k ( neg) with quite a number of items...

  9. #29

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Ms colour in amk hub is a good place to buy. Cathay photo in peninsula plaza and marinated square is ok too, but their price is around $10 higher than ms colour.

    Btw if u do decide to get Sony, i'll advice u to get the extended warranty. It cost $2xx more and extends warranty by 2 yrs I think. But most importantly is u get the 50mm f1.8 lens for free (or u can buy the lens alone for $190).

    Reason is cos the 50mm f1.8 is a good lens for taking portraits. Its very fast at f1.8 (smaller is faster), coupled with image stabalization, it ensures tat even in low light ur photos will still be clear.
    Last edited by android17; 27th December 2009 at 02:50 PM.

  10. #30
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Ms colour in amk hub is a good place to buy. Cathay photo in peninsula plaza and marinated square is ok too, but their price is around $10 higher than ms colour.

    Btw if u do decide to get Sony, i'll advice u to get the extended warranty. It cost $2xx more and extends warranty by 2 yrs I think. But most importantly is u get the 50mm f1.8 lens for free (or u can buy the lens alone for $190).

    Check my blog http://sging.blogspot.com I took some cosplay photos using the 50mm lens. Those are one of the first pictures I took with my camera (bought last month)
    wow..saw the pics..to me its very nice already...so you are also using a330? actually additional lens are for? better zooming ?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian3105 View Post
    Fixie / Android,

    is it advisable to buy 2nd? saw someone selling 2nd a330 for 1k ( neg) with quite a number of items...
    Which thread? Or list out the items and we see if its worth it...

  12. #32
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Which thread? Or list out the items and we see if its worth it...
    * Set Made In Japan. Current DSLR A330 in the market are Made in Thailand.
    * Smallest body
    * Face detection
    * CCD sensor; total pixels: 10.75 million
    * Dust Reduction System
    * Black & White Mode with Color Filters
    * 2.7", 230,000-dot LCD
    * Auto Focus Live View Mode (11-point multi-area autofocusing)
    * Face detection
    * DT 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 standard zoom lens (model SAL-1855)
    * Sony SAL55200-2 SAM DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Lens
    Package/Accessories/Extras:
    - Everything in box
    - Package come with 2 Kit Lens (SAL-1855)(SAL-55200)
    - Bundle with Free Additional Battery worth $120 and Hard LCD Protector worth $25.

    Additional Comments:
    - Screen protector has been on since day 1.
    - Shutter count ard 9k?
    - Selling coz upgrading.


    he say 1k ( neg)

  13. #33

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian3105 View Post
    wow..saw the pics..to me its very nice already...so you are also using a330? actually additional lens are for? better zooming ?
    I was using a350. It has a higher resolution than a330 (useless for u and me actually, unless u wanna print poster sized photos) and it doesn't hv guide mode. But everything else is exactly the same, as in sensors, functions etc.

    I edited my previous post regarding the lens I used for my cosplay pics.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian3105 View Post
    Fixie / Android,

    is it advisable to buy 2nd? saw someone selling 2nd a330 for 1k ( neg) with quite a number of items...
    Not advisable.I just came back from the Sony Style shop in Marina Sq and the retail price of a brand new one with 18-55mm kit lens is just slightly above $1K and they do accept 0% installments if you pay by Citibank or DBS credit cards.
    Last edited by Galdor; 15th October 2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    start off with something like panasonic lx3.
    it has manual controls as well as auto controls...
    also has hotshoe for external flash.
    it has a fast len too


    I'm a Panasonic LX3 fanboy
    Checkout the newbie photos I took after about 1 week playing with it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/weizhen...7622569489954/
    Simplicity, it is just an encapsulation of complexity.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    U save $100 for buying that package.compared to brand new. But ask urself do u need a high zoom lens? If not I rather buy the 50mm which is so much better for taking portraits.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    U save $100 for buying that package.compared to brand new. But ask urself do u need a high zoom lens? If not I rather buy the 50mm which is so much better for taking portraits.
    Agree. With the extended warranty you get a 50mm f1.8 free. This lens is very good for taking pictures of kids who are moving about so fast.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  18. #38

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Not advisable.I just came back from the Sony Style shop in Marina Sq and the retail price of a brand new one with 18-55mm kit lens is just slightly above $1K and they do accept 0% installments if you pay by Citibank or DBS credit cards.
    Is there an error? A330 with 18-55mm kit rrp only $899, with ms colour selling $810. How can it be 1k.

  19. #39
    Member ian3105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Agree. With the extended warranty you get a 50mm f1.8 free. This lens is very good for taking pictures of kids who are moving about so fast.
    okie...thank you for pointing out to me..else i will be cheated!

  20. #40
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice for Newbie...DSLR or Compact?

    Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Is there an error? A330 with 18-55mm kit rrp only $899, with ms colour selling $810. How can it be 1k.
    Oops sorry. The price was for A380 not A330 cos my friend was comparing the A380 and the A500.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •