Thread: Why video?

Default Why video?

Wondering why video is need in a camera?

Video camera, is a video recorder with a normal camera function, acceptable to me.

Camera, using negative/positive to digital, still ok to me.

Camera, using as a video camera? Not ok to me.

Cause, I wondering, a lens which can cost more than a video camera itself use for video purpose? Dont make sense to me.

Oh ya, still got those Pro video cam but those are not for us to use in daily outing!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: Why video?

...why not?

personally, i don't see the point, but i can see why others might want it.

e.g. if you are tired of non moving badly shot xmm shots, you can shoot a video of them moving around and posing...... (just kidding)

Cause the enthusiasts who buy cameras only form a limited percentage of the consuming public for cameras. The rest of the buyers buy cameras for the purpose of capturing moments, travel and general usage by the family. The market is competitive, dominated by different brands and every one of these manufacturers are fighting for an edge to attract the general consuming public. If video is deemed to give an edge to sell a product, the marketing guys will trump the engineers and enthusiasts everytime. Welcome to the world beyond photography enthusiasts.

for convenience. Imaging you are traveling, do you bring two device if you can bring one? The video output from DSLR isn't bad also, even can provide bokeh, which is hard to get with most consumer videocam.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...why not?

personally, i don't see the point, but i can see why others might want it.

e.g. if you are tired of non moving badly shot xmm shots, you can shoot a video of them moving around and posing...... (just kidding)
    Or take a video shot of GWC shooting XMM.

Cause from what I know. Video will wear out the censor faster. Therefore, isn't that a risk? Esp when you abt to take a photo, the color is gone.

although have the sensor always on will likely to generate heat or increase noise(?), but currently most DSLR "liveview" work similar to Video recording mode also, using the main sensor, especially micro 4/3, the sensor is always on, but seldom heard them complain about colour degradation. For other DSLR, most don't use the video function frequently. So it should degrade the image much.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Cause from what I know. Video will wear out the censor faster. Therefore, isn't that a risk? Esp when you abt to take a photo, the color is gone.

wear out faster .. then change sensor .. move revenue for camera makers / agents or even better - change to new camera and since u have invested in 'expensive' lenses, u have no choice but to buy back the same brand ...

Compact cameras have had video for years, and I'm sure people have found uses for it. Just like in cell phones, camera/video functionality is pretty common.

More features is good, someone will find it useful.

Secondary usage, more for convenience sake
    I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself

And we are paying good money for something which we don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua0718 View Post
    Secondary usage, more for convenience sake
    Maybe.

But video on mobile/PnS dont mean we need it in a DSLR. Who will use DSLR for video rather than photo taking?

With Video on mobile/PnS, we saw a lot of boliao video of ppl quarrel, fighting, kissing etc... on public. I doubt a DSLR user will use the video mode to record such, right? And if he does, try to get nice bokeh?

They need more features to justify charging you their price, video implementation is not that much more difficult once they can implement live-view. I am just wondering how is the voice quality like?

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    They need more features to justify charging you their price, video implementation is not that much more difficult once they can implement live-view. I am just wondering how is the voice quality like?
    Ya, sound. Video Camera, got special mic for 5.1 if not wrong. Camera, maybe just a normal mic ba. But I still dont like the idea of video appears in a DSLR, kind of weird.

Maybe due to the limitation of the lens. Like you using a tele lens, video mode?

or maybe some people like to see things alive and kicking LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl852 View Post
    or maybe some people like to see things alive and kicking LOL
    or extend bad photography to bad videography - chop people's head off but now you see the limbs moving! with sound!

I did one mistake with video once (using videocam) - capture the video vertically - I use tripod for photo camera which can tilt and then automatically when I see a scene that is better captured vertically than horizontally I tilt the videocam.

Only realise my mistake when show the video on TV. LOL. Now must tilt the TV also when showing that video footage.

Now I know why all video cam tripod and head NEVER have that vertical tilt. All stay horizontal.
    Last edited by aryanto; 16th October 2009 at 09:24 AM.

the trend is adding in video in DSLR... sooner, rather than later all DSLR from the entry to the 1Ds or D1s will have video capability..

I believe on some cameras you can capture photos while recording video, but does that mean the video recording is interupted? Say you're trying to capture a motorcycle jumping stunt, but instead of just photos, you want to record the event... now you have the possibility with a DSLR. Nice photos and HD video...

Because for the same price you get 2 functions.. Better than spending 2X to 2 items.
    Meow!