Thread: Need Advises on Lens and Flash

Default Need Advises on Lens and Flash

Hey Guys n Ladies,

Got myself a canon 350D and using the standard 18-55mm lens..Still learning the ropes around it..Thought of getting an 75-300mm Lens.Its reasonably cheap and since im still new,tot of trying this lens first,read the reviews..some pros n cons..Any advises?Coz i always take photos of human expressions and movable objects..

And for the external flash,im a lil Noob here...Tot of getting an external flash,but any specific type of external flash for canon to be recommended?The basic flash for a beginner.

Hope that help will come and will be able to learn the ropes from you guys..Thanks!

Default Re: Need Advises on Lens and Flash

i have 580EXII , but i would recommend 430EXII for beginners. Those are 2 flashes i have used and they are great.

Anymore advises around here?

18-55 IS + 55-250 IS + 50mm F/1.8

above is what i recommend to beginner Canon users who dont mind 2nd hand lens. They dont cost a lot yet are almost toe to toe with higher priced glass when used correctly.

as for flash, use the onboard one first to understand FEC. get a external flash only when you know why the onboard flash doesnt suffice.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Muqaddimah View Post
    Hey Guys n Ladies,

Got myself a canon 350D and using the standard 18-55mm lens..Still learning the ropes around it..Thought of getting an 75-300mm Lens.Its reasonably cheap and since im still new,tot of trying this lens first,read the reviews..some pros n cons..Any advises?Coz i always take photos of human expressions and movable objects..

And for the external flash,im a lil Noob here...Tot of getting an external flash,but any specific type of external flash for canon to be recommended?The basic flash for a beginner.

Hope that help will come and will be able to learn the ropes from you guys..Thanks!
    Human expressions can use lens like 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8, 135 f/2L. For moving objects, you'll need fast lens but what are the objects you are looking at? If you are looking at zoom tele-lens, I recommend 70-200mm f/4L IS USM or 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. The 75-300mm III USM is not a well recommended lens.

Flash photography is a big learning curve. Do it right and everything will be nice, otherwise, results will turn out debatable.

Btw, what is your budget for lens and flash?

Let your budget decide. How much are you willing to fork out?

Forget the 75-300; go for 70-300 or 55-250 instead.
    EOS

Thank you guys for all the replies...

Yup,got a few bad reviews i read up on 75-300 be it the USM or the non-usm version..

Budget wise is debatable,as im still new in this line..so i dun want to really just splurge money on things that im unsure of...still learning and taking tips from you experience people...as to increase my knowledge regarding the lenses...

So i got the 18-55mm IS lens...guess on the lookout for 55-200mm...and the 50m/1.8 lens..thank you so much for the help..

Guess the flash can be a later part as i learn the ropes more on the lenses first...thank you so much for the help..

Quote Originally Posted by Muqaddimah View Post
    Thank you guys for all the replies...

Yup,got a few bad reviews i read up on 75-300 be it the USM or the non-usm version..

Budget wise is debatable,as im still new in this line..so i dun want to really just splurge money on things that im unsure of...still learning and taking tips from you experience people...as to increase my knowledge regarding the lenses...

So i got the 18-55mm IS lens...guess on the lookout for 55-200mm...and the 50m/1.8 lens..thank you so much for the help..

Guess the flash can be a later part as i learn the ropes more on the lenses first...thank you so much for the help..
    yeah, i started out with 1000D and got myself a 50mm F1.8, with the earlier on 18-55mm kit lens.

now is also looking towards 55-200mm lens. other than canon, any good recommendations from third-party for same 55-200mm as well? probably cheaper too
    Canon 1000D, 17-55mm kit lens, 50mm F1.8, 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by kaijiehimself View Post
    yeah, i started out with 1000D and got myself a 50mm F1.8, with the earlier on 18-55mm kit lens.

now is also looking towards 55-200mm lens. other than canon, any good recommendations from third-party for same 55-200mm as well? probably cheaper too
    The 50mm f/1.8 is the only lens which combines low price and good image quality to that extend. Most other good lenses come with a higher price tag, some expensive lenses don't deliver what the price tag might suggest.
    Read the reviews (dpreview.com; photozone.de) and rent the lenses if possible.
    EOS

Thank you so much for the help!it really helps a lot...

The 55-250 is a much better lens than the 75-300. Only thing that it is an EFS lens and not usable on Full Frame.

If you don't intend to go FF, that would be a good telezoom of choice

have you bought a dry-box? if not i think a small simple dry-box is more important now than a second lens

but yes i would choose 55-250 anytime over 75-300.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr