Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera for newbie

Default Re: Camera for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shorty07 View Post
    but also wanna try to take some shots wif the effects...u know, like focus on one subject n blur the rest (watever term u call that..hehe).

so that's y wanna try at least a high end digi cam that is capable of that stuffs.
    This can be done with software like photoshop. You will have lots of fun doing this at your spare time on the pics whether they come from P&S or dslr.

I am not discouraging you from buying a dslr. One needs passion in photography and the time to enjoy it.

looks like a lot of u r really into dslr. my photography needs r pretty basic. taking pics of my kid, family, of the places i go etc. no special needs. so that's y i tot dat i don really need a dslr.as long as the pics i take turn out nice n clear...i'm happy enuf. but also wanna try to take some shots wif the effects...u know, like focus on one subject n blur the rest (watever term u call that..hehe).

so that's y wanna try at least a high end digi cam that is capable of that stuffs.
    So why not rent a dslr camera +50mm lens first?
    Alpha

lbl2009: yup true...after tinking thru i tink i'll jus settle for a pns or prosumer cam. too troublesome to use dslr. with the equipments, price n all that.

so guys...which pns or prosumer do u guys suggest...which can take shots almost as gd as a dslr...but w/o much hassle?
    check out Leica D-Lux 4 and C-Lux 3
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

lbl...if u discourage me fm buying dslr, i will accept. cos don tink i'll get a dslr. not THAT into photography yet.

rahskae...where can i rent camera?nvr know got such services.

rezzshaz...leica is an expensive brand rite?...my budget ard 700 only.

rahskae...where can i rent camera?nvr know got such services.
    Try to look here in the forum. Right off the main forum page we have a "commercial services offered" section.

If you had searched for "camera rental" you'd have found it too.
    Alpha

oh sorry abt that. very new to this forum so haven't gone thru each n every thread. anyway i was reading the other thread from a newbie also. over there ppl were recommending her the sony a330. how come no one recommends taht to me here?...hehehe.

don mind that actually. cos don tink i'll get a dslr. like someone mentioned in that thread, mayb can really truly explore a compact 1st, we nvr know how gd a compact is n mayb after using it to its full potential, a compact might jus b enuf.

cos even my basic fuji digi cam, after owning it for like 1yr+, jus realised more functions that can make my shots better.

oh sorry abt that. very new to this forum so haven't gone thru each n every thread. anyway i was reading the other thread from a newbie also. over there ppl were recommending her the sony a330. how come no one recommends taht to me here?...hehehe.

don mind that actually. cos don tink i'll get a dslr. like someone mentioned in that thread, mayb can really truly explore a compact 1st, we nvr know how gd a compact is n mayb after using it to its full potential, a compact might jus b enuf.

cos even my basic fuji digi cam, after owning it for like 1yr+, jus realised more functions that can make my shots better.
    And that's exactly why we didn't recommend it...

In her case, she needed to capture her fast-moving kid. The A330 is great for that.

If people come here and don't seem certain about what they want/need, the WORST thing we can do is recommend a DSLR. You should only get a DSLR when you feel limited by your current setup.
    Alpha

You can look at post #3 in this thread. I had already hinted to you in my post.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

you do realize that the Sony A330 IS a DSLR, right?
    Exploring! :)

rashkae...yup...not sure whether i can use a dslr...dat's y decided not to get 1.

galdor n zerocool...jus kidding la. i know a330 is a dslr...n i wont b getting 1.so no worries. cos most recommended me nikon n canon here. no fret. not getting any dslr. will jus settle for a gd pns or compact...n try to use it to its full potential. mayb a dslr in the near future after i've mastered some controls.

Get a P&S which has Aperture priority, Shutter priority and Manual modes. These DSLR functions allow you to get good pics in situations when the Auto mode can't do the job.

Panasonic Lumix LX3 has good reviews and followers in CS forum. You can find out more.

looks like a lot of u r really into dslr. my photography needs r pretty basic. taking pics of my kid, family, of the places i go etc. no special needs. so that's y i tot dat i don really need a dslr.as long as the pics i take turn out nice n clear...i'm happy enuf. but also wanna try to take some shots wif the effects...u know, like focus on one subject n blur the rest (watever term u call that..hehe).

To tell you, I bought my first entry level DSLR due to compact camera spoilt and to take better pics for my toys collection. However, after buying the SLR, I fell in love with photography and the SLR no longer serve the purposes of just taking pics for my toys. Now I have taken fashion show catwalk pics, scenery pics, close up shot pics, protraits, night shots etc. There so many things SLR can do which compact camera can't. The best is, SLR can still take amazing pics without a flash (which I hated flash cos my eyes are very sensitive to flash), but there are still moment I really need a flash of cos. Anyway, I am still an amature until now, currently into SLR for only 4 weeks.

SLR is definitely a choice you will not regret. However there are things to take note, for example like me, I did'nt know there SLR really needs lots of practices to master it, cos I was spoiled by the point and shoot cameras. Secondly, really need upgrades to a certain point, cos current equipment might not satisfy your shots anymore. Thirdly, you need some space in your house, all the space in my house is filled with toys that I hardly have space to even properly store a few lens in future. There are a few more factors but overall, it really fun to own one DLSR.

If you asked me, my DSLR is a Nikon D3000. Why I choose Nikon D3000? Cos I really do not know how to use a DSLR, so I trying out this first. Also, lots of my colleagues are using Nikkor lens, so I can borrow suitable lens and take advice from them for my DSLR.

So it depends how or what you want.
    Last edited by kkvolution; 16th October 2009 at 02:44 PM.

thanks for all yr advise. now i've totally ditched the idea of dslr. so looking at the likes for lx3, g11, sx1is n so on. will take note of the advices i got from here when deciding which to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    To tell you, I bought my first entry level DSLR due to compact camera spoilt and to take better pics for my toys collection. However, after buying the SLR, I fell in love with photography and the SLR no longer serve the purposes of just taking pics for my toys. Now I have taken fashion show catwalk pics, scenery pics, close up shot pics, protraits, night shots etc. There so many things SLR can do which compact camera can't. The best is, SLR can still take amazing pics without a flash (which I hated flash cos my eyes are very sensitive to flash), but there are still moment I really need a flash of cos. Anyway, I am still an amature until now, currently into SLR for only 4 weeks.

SLR is definitely a choice you will not regret. However there are things to take note, for example like me, I did'nt know there SLR really needs lots of practices to master it, cos I was spoiled by the point and shoot cameras. Secondly, really need upgrades to a certain point, cos current equipment might not satisfy your shots anymore. Thirdly, you need some space in your house, all the space in my house is filled with toys that I hardly have space to even properly store a few lens in future. There are a few more factors but overall, it really fun to own one DLSR.

If you asked me, my DSLR is a Nikon D3000. Why I choose Nikon D3000? Cos I really do not know how to use a DSLR, so I trying out this first. Also, lots of my colleagues are using Nikkor lens, so I can borrow suitable lens and take advice from them for my DSLR.

So it depends how or what you want.
    D3000 is a great camera. I should know, because it is the replacement of D40, my first DSLR, and I can't leave home without the D40.

thanks for all yr advise. now i've totally ditched the idea of dslr. so looking at the likes for lx3, g11, sx1is n so on. will take note of the advices i got from here when deciding which to buy.
    Pick one on your list, and one which you always want to take with you when you leave home or outing with your family.

ok i've decided to get sx1is. buying from a forumer here. the lx3 tho is a very gd cam, from wat i read the zoom is not that great. so...making a compromise...i choose gd pic quality, hd video capability (i take quite a lot of videos) n long zoom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12