Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Payment from Client

Default Re: Payment from Client

don't give in..can't let gangsters win.

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    don't give in..can't let gangsters win.
    this way do, what good does it gain to the photogher. Better is to treat the money owed as an hong pao money to the couple. Treat this as a blessing to them and it will make feel a little better.

Anyway photographer still have not gave the photo album to the couple so he has no reason to go and demand full payment
    Last edited by kiwitan; 15th October 2009 at 05:35 PM.

U have pictures of him and his wife. Post here and show what a Cheapo couple they are.

Shame them in public. Such ppl deserve it.

O$P$.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene_ View Post
    Nah. . If i put down his name .. he might threaten me with a legal suit again.

Before his ROM, he did meet up with several photographers before he signed up with me reason being i was the most flexible in terms of timing and the cost.. which he explained he was on a budget.
    So i charged him a lill below market rate since he said he didnt want to spend too much and i even started shooting earlier and stayed longer than agreed to do more shots with him.

I had expected him to be reciprocal with his payment and stuff, yet he jus tried to delay meeting me time after time. Talk about being kind!
    eugene I shake my head when I read your post and the response. All the posters here gave good advice but there is one fundamental point being overlooked. Your question is not answered at all.

I have encountered this type of clients. There are many out there. It's a expensive lesson for you. Learn from the experience.

Now for the response:
    (1) Engage a lawyer to write a lawyer's letter of demand. That would cost you $200 - $400. Letter of demand is the first step where you are legally demanding for payment otherwise your lawyer will start to sue. In 90% of the time, they will immediately pay up because interest is charged for delay in payment.

(2) If he dispute, he will engage his own lawyer. It will be costly for him because his lawyer do not know what you are going to do next. Like i said, 90% of these people will pay up the moment they see a lawyer's letter.

(3) If it goes to court, you already have proof of work done which he cannot dispute. At the least he will have to settle it out of court. That means he compensate you only for what you spend for the photo shoot + transport etc. That will also mean he will pay for both his lawyer's and your lawyer's bills.

(4) As for harressment, he has to lodge a police report immediately. However if he lodge a police report after you serve him a lawyer's letter than it will not carry much weight so you do not need to worry too much about it. Instead your lawyer can counter sue him for threatening you. You felt "threatened" beause of his sms isn't it?

(5) Lastly don't apologise otherwise you are admitting liability which I hope you are not admitting.

Don't worry I've been there...done that...and survive.
    Last edited by hotwork77; 15th October 2009 at 05:48 PM.

Nah. . If i put down his name .. he might threaten me with a legal suit again.

Before his ROM, he did meet up with several photographers before he signed up with me reason being i was the most flexible in terms of timing and the cost.. which he explained he was on a budget.
    So i charged him a lill below market rate since he said he didnt want to spend too much and i even started shooting earlier and stayed longer than agreed to do more shots with him.

I had expected him to be reciprocal with his payment and stuff, yet he jus tried to delay meeting me time after time. Talk about being kind!
    Eugene, the first thing you need to know is that every client will be on a budget. no client will ever run up to you and say they have unlimited budget and charge as much as you want. A contract is super duper important. if you want to be kind, that's ok, just be kind after you have been paid. At this point in time, if you haven't been paid, you own the copyrights. As long as he has reproduced the image, ie post on facebook or copied it to another hard drive, he has violated your copyright. Depending on how much you want to ratchet up the pressure on the client, you might want to check with a lawyer if it's possible to press criminal charges for theft of copyright. People sing a very very different tune when they face the prospects of jail time.

this is a typical scenario of " twist and turn " from a seemingly normal client.

when one has in the business long enough or had live long enough, it is inevitable to bump into one or several of this type of human beings.

as reading from what you'd written, it had a indication that he knows the charactor of his blood brother well, so to say, you might not be the very first one.

so let's wish them a happy everlasting marriage and a toast to " eugene "!!!
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 15th October 2009 at 06:55 PM.

base on your confession,

you're a freelancer, quoting under priced for a ROM lunch assignment.

guess that you might be quoting a price like $400 or even less with this guy squeezing your neck.

he sees that you are hard up for the job, give it to you, knowing that you are freelancing and can't do anything.

twist and turn later, play dirty with you, just pay you half the amount. maybe his bro knows about all his tricks too.

so if you take the advice of hotwork77, engage the service of a lawyer, in the end you become the great loser even if you get the other half payment.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 16th October 2009 at 02:35 AM.

when u have a proper contract
    even if they paid up .. the copyright still belongs to the photographer!
    so u see the drift?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    so u see the drift?
    Hello soeypixels,

Under Singapore law, unless the contract explicitly states that the photographer owns the copyright, the rights belong to the client.

Z

so u see the drift?

This is totally untrue... If you received any form of payment, the copyright belongs to the person or company paying you.. unless it is stated in the contract that you still owe the rights...

U have done a fatal mistake in the first step. As a photographer, you should NEVER deliver images to any of your clients before full payment goes to you. Now the trouble starts. Whats more, You have no black and white Invoice when you submitted the images to him. What i normally do is that i will provide an invoice if the client wants to have the images, and let him sign on it, even if its a simple, basic piece of printed form. & if the client wants to have his pictures first like in your case, just tell them straight that your terms and conditions as a photographer, you have to collect either full payment or 90percent of it. Trust me they will be all right with it , as that is what i always do, there is no harm or afraid that you will lose face etc. It is even better to do it in front of other people or his friends.

My opinion, what i can is, just apologise to the family , and get the cash, nothing much. Unless you will want to drag it longer and not having your cash in the shortest period of time.

Kennie

so u see the drift?
    where u get this ideal??

My GF(whose also at the photoshoot that day) suggested I sms this client and tell him he can keep his pathetic $150 for his upcoming milk money.

Blog Entries

My GF(whose also at the photoshoot that day) suggested I sms this client and tell him he can keep his pathetic $150 for his upcoming milk money.
    And your rate is only $300??? Wow!

Sometimes, the rate you charge also at times determines the type of clients you attract.

Tomorrow's TNP headlines:

Client refuses to pay
    yet
    Demands Apology!

Just kiddin..

as my quess is correct, this guy is an experienced " old bird "

first he will squeeze the photographer by the neck to demand for a lower than market rate, aafter that when he get what he wants, then the other hand of his will move somewhere low and squeeze even harder this time. I'd met this type of bully or goons before...luckily my withdraw was fast before he could make his grab for my...

all this, part of growing up I suppose.

much wiser now.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And your rate is only $300??? Wow!

Sometimes, the rate you charge also at times determines the type of clients you attract.
    He is free to charge whatever amount that he wants to. Hopefully you're not saying that people who can only afford to pay $300 for their ROM are all unreasonable people.

Even if you have decided to let it go... don't tell him that. You lose whatever leverage you have if you decide to change your mind later on. The client can keep the thought of owing you money for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    Hello soeypixels,

Under Singapore law, unless the contract explicitly states that the photographer owns the copyright, the rights belong to the client.

Z
    Quote Originally Posted by hongwen37 View Post
    This is totally untrue... If you received any form of payment, the copyright belongs to the person or company paying you.. unless it is stated in the contract that you still owe the rights...
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    where u get this ideal??
    That is what he meant by a proper contract, to explicitly state that the copyrights are retain by the photographer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast