Thread: Bounce Card for External flash?

Default Bounce Card for External flash?

I've just purchased HVL-F32X and I think I need a bounce card. How do you "make" one? How does a good bounce card supposed to look like? Anyone can take their homemade bounce card pix and show it here? I m really curious

Thanks in advance

actually any card that is white colour enough will do. unless u want 2b meticulous then u will spend unnecessary time fussing over a piece of card. can increase surface reflectivity by covering it with transparent talc. the size depends on your taste. some people use 2 square inch. some people use A3 size.

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    actually any card that is white colour enough will do. unless u want 2b meticulous then u will spend unnecessary time fussing over a piece of card. can increase surface reflectivity by covering it with transparent talc. the size depends on your taste. some people use 2 square inch. some people use A3 size.
    Hmm, ok.

One question: Is the card have to be over the flash head so whenever the flash head is tilted and the flash fires, the light should bounce the card? or the card is juz on top so whenever the flash head is tilted, the card tilts too?

can anyone enlighten me?

I have a home-made bounce card made from those plastic backing boards (~$3.50/pc at Popular and any good stationary stores), about A6 in size. Small enough to fit into the flash pouch.

I mount the card onto the flash head using 2 rubber bands (on a Canon 540EZ Speedlite), so when the flash head tilts, the card tilts as well. I usually tilt the head 60-75 degs off-horizon and bounce the flash off the ceiling, while part of the light will be bounced off the card to the subject.

The best effect is achieved when you have a relatively low and light-coloured ceiling, and you are quite near to the subject. The light bounced off the card and the ceiling will be diffused and will reduce the chances of hard shadows. However, using bouncing flash eats a lot of your flash batteries because it needs a higher output of light to achieve a correct exposure.

http://www.camera.canon.com.my/archi...lm18/index.htm

This is a good article on making your own bounce card and how to use it.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    I have a home-made bounce card made from those plastic backing boards (~$3.50/pc at Popular and any good stationary stores), about A6 in size. Small enough to fit into the flash pouch.

I mount the card onto the flash head using 2 rubber bands (on a Canon 540EZ Speedlite), so when the flash head tilts, the card tilts as well. I usually tilt the head 60-75 degs off-horizon and bounce the flash off the ceiling, while part of the light will be bounced off the card to the subject.

The best effect is achieved when you have a relatively low and light-coloured ceiling, and you are quite near to the subject. The light bounced off the card and the ceiling will be diffused and will reduce the chances of hard shadows. However, using bouncing flash eats a lot of your flash batteries because it needs a higher output of light to achieve a correct exposure.
    Ok, thanks a lot. I don't know how to mount it as the picture on that link is not Sony's flash so i m not sure where to mount the home made bounce card.

edit: so i juz put it on top of the flash head? so the light no need to bounce on the card itself? if that is the case, what's the difference does it make without mounting on top of it since the light will juz shine on the subject directly? Sorry if I sounded very desperate
    Last edited by arikevin; 19th January 2004 at 04:36 PM.

Hmm...it's difficult for me to show you an example between a direct flash and bounced flash because I don't have a digicam.

Anyway, to use a bounce card effectively, you'll need to tilt the flash. It's practically useless to not tilt the flash if you use a bounce card. The 2nd and 3rd pages of the article talks about how to use a bounce card and the difference it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Hmm...it's difficult for me to show you an example between a direct flash and bounced flash because I don't have a digicam.

Anyway, to use a bounce card effectively, you'll need to tilt the flash. It's practically useless to not tilt the flash if you use a bounce card. The 2nd and 3rd pages of the article talks about how to use a bounce card and the difference it makes.
    Hmm, as long as it's on top of the flash head and i tilt the head, I can achieved the bounced-flash effect?

yup, as what ah pao described. paiseh my modem conked out earlier

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    yup, as what ah pao described. paiseh my modem conked out earlier
    thanks