Thread: Neg or Slide?

Question Neg or Slide?

Hi hi.. there's no category on film right? so i try posting here for my upcoming vacation - egypt. i have not use slide before but would like to try. can share any pointers with me? what slide you normally use, why and the cost etc?

thanks!
    woos

I have not used slide for many years, but then the colours produced by slide will be much much better than negatives provided you get the correct exposure or almost +/- half stop.

Slide tolerence is very narrow as compare to negative, and it's definitely cost more. The printing cost for photographs may be triple also.

It depends on what you want at the end of the day.
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

i'm aware of the cons of slide but wish to try nonetheless. ya its its low tolerance to +/- that kept me away from it. what's good to start with?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woosy
    Hi hi.. there's no category on film right? so i try posting here for my upcoming vacation - egypt. i have not use slide before but would like to try. can share any pointers with me? what slide you normally use, why and the cost etc?

thanks!
    woos
    You can try the slide film by fuji. Velvia or provia. Both produce vivid colours. Think they shoudl be fine. No worries about the exposure latitude. Just do a normal exposure and you'll be fine. Not too sure abt the price though.

Personally I prefer provia 400.

Quote Originally Posted by woosy

thanks!
    woos
    Hi,

Just my 2 cents worth....

- I normally use Velvia 50 or the more recent Velvia 100 for daylight use. You can also try Provia or Sensia.
    - It cost around $10-13 per 36 exposure roll depending on where and u get it from.
    - Development cost would be average around $5 unmounted or $9 mounted per roll of 36 exposure. I suggest not mounting the slides first. Choose the good ones and mount them later.
    - Don't remember how much for the scanning to digital format but I remember it's pretty costly if you do it from the lab.
    - One thing to note is that keep your slides (exposed or unexposed) in cool place. Matter of fact same to all your films that you're bringing along. Especially when in Egypt where heat is a problem. Throw them into a ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. Take the film out about 30mins before u need them out from the fridge to let out the condensation.

Hope this helps and enjoy shuttering away in Egypt... lucky you...

b/w negative: kodak tcn400

colour negative: fuji: superia xtra100/200/400, reala100, nps400, press800 (for low light event)

colour slide: fuji: provia100/400

very few people use b/w slide

Hi, I've just went to Egypt during December, so maybe I can share my experience abit. I show mainly print film, and eventhough I brought along a few rolls of Velvia 50 and Sensia 400, I didn't get the chance to try them out.

Slow film is fine if you are taking shots outside in the daylight but you might wanna consider higher speed film inside some of the temples as they are all quite dimly lit. Try not to use flash inside, as the hieroglyphics on the wall would looked burnt out. The temples and tombs are also lit at nice, and looks nice and surreal. I had some good results using Fuji NPZ 800 handheld. Be wary of bringing your tripod into certain places as there might be an additional charge. And be careful of using Velvia to take portraits as the colour saturation might be a little too over the top for your taste, though I've heard the new Velvia 100F is much better for skin tones..

If you are planning to go snorkelling or scuba diving in the Red Sea, you might want to consider getting a disposable underwater instant camera (cheap option which was what I did) or you might ask around in the Underwater photography forum for options...

Anyhow, enjoy!

I'm not an expert on films but here's my little bit of experience using slide film...

I've used Provia 100F for some Botanic Gardens shots and the colors produced are stunning! Very saturated. One friend recommended Velvia for even more saturated colors. One put-off is the slightly bluish cast in grey tones (I don't know it's because of poor storage or the film charateristics, but I've read some other comments about this bluish cast in low light) and the high cost. Get your slides at CP, the price is pretty reasonable.

For processing, go to RGB Color for same-day processing (E-6 process) at $4.70 per roll.

All in all, slides are good for exaggerated saturation...and if you don't have money to mount them, they make a very good medium for personal enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    I've used Provia 100F for some Botanic Gardens shots and the colors produced are stunning! Very saturated. One friend recommended Velvia for even more saturated colors. One put-off is the slightly bluish cast in grey tones (I don't know it's because of poor storage or the film charateristics, but I've read some other comments about this bluish cast in low light) and the high cost. Get your slides at CP, the price is pretty reasonable.
    Blue cast is a "feature" of the Provia line. It's especially bad (and irritating) when you shoot Provia on an overcast day, everything will come out bluish and cold. I've since switched over to the warmer Kodak Ektachrome E100S, E100VS films.

Regards
    CK

thank you everyone for sharing with me. i very 'gan dong'.
    think i'll skip provia cause of the 'bluish' tone. you never know when the sky wants to be overcast. i suppose there's no velvia 400? personally i use only superia 400 neg all the time. i find 400 more of a all rounder than 200, especially in low light. (then again the desert can be very bright) How about sensia 400? Anyone tried it? kodak? i didn't like their neg cause then to be yellowish, not sure about their slide though.

storage: if i don't put in fridge is it ok? theft problem and not all hostel comes with fridge. does the quality suffers if i take it in and out of the fridge?

kodak tcn 400 : its not a strictly b & w neg? i bought a roll but never use. some people told me its b & w, some say the final photo will turn out sepia. can anyone clarify?

p/s: my trip not confirm yet, still waiting for tickets... don't envy yet. :P

cheers!

Try a roll of Kodak 100VS,my personal favourite slides.Brilliant colors and nice contrast.