Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: perspectives on the market...

Blog Entries

Default Re: perspectives on the market...

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post

cos ang mo is better than a stinkaporean!

i can't believe it when i heard it as well. i am sure local photographers are just as good if not better.
    Well it is true. They rather spend big $ to fly in Ang Mo from US.

Early last year I had a request to push back my aerial shoot by 2hrs. Reason being that they (heli company) need to squeeze in a slot for a shoot which was not carried out the day before because of weather. And also the particular photographer was schedule to leave Singapore that evening.

I relented, after all the timing was not so crucial for me and the weather forecast was ok for the day.

Well before I boarded the heli the pilot was very excited and was telling me that in the previous flight the American photog was telling them that the camera he is using the latest Pro Nikon camera etc etc a D3.

I was actually quite amused, it is as if we are like from a third world country who have not seen a D3 or what? After all even hobbyist here are using this type of camera or even better.

The point is that this big oil company will spend $$ to fly in an overseas photog to do a job that most Singaporean can do it easily. There are quite alot of aerial photogs here in Singapore and they are just as good if not better, except that their name is not some fanciful Ang Mo name
    Last edited by chngpe01; 3rd December 2009 at 03:22 PM.

The fact is that Ang Mow name = more glam, more hip

Local Singaporean name = common, uncool, ah beng.

Its a matter of perception. Most Singaporeans may complain, but they themselves generate the demand for Ang Mow names.

On the other hand, I think we Asians need to step it up, and not just be the same level but beyond. Think of us as athletes running on the inner most lanes. The only way to overtake is to run on the outer lane and faster.

One huge problem, and in Singapore in particular is the pride we have as Asians. I find it really ironic when I see ad campaigns that are completely home-brewed and they end up having caucasian models.

Our culture needs to change. There's nothing wrong with looking up to the western nations in the work they create if it is of a high standard. But the problem begins only when people start worshipping works just because they are done by a caucasian.

Quote Originally Posted by havocidal View Post
    On the other hand, I think we Asians need to step it up, and not just be the same level but beyond. Think of us as athletes running on the inner most lanes. The only way to overtake is to run on the outer lane and faster.

One huge problem, and in Singapore in particular is the pride we have as Asians. I find it really ironic when I see ad campaigns that are completely home-brewed and they end up having caucasian models.

Our culture needs to change. There's nothing wrong with looking up to the western nations in the work they create if it is of a high standard. But the problem begins only when people start worshipping works just because they are done by a caucasian.
    Marketers and creative directors are the ones who make decisions and come up with ideas and perceptions on what works and what doesn't.

They get their impressions of what works and what doesn't from other examples of work done before, plus market research.
    So you have abit of a chicken and egg situation.

However I think that taking the time to educate people will work. Like a showcase of great asian photographers. It's called lobbying, most smart industries do it to raise the perception of their industry

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Marketers and creative directors are the ones who make decisions and come up with ideas and perceptions on what works and what doesn't.

They get their impressions of what works and what doesn't from other examples of work done before, plus market research.

However I think that taking the time to educate people will work. Like a showcase of great asian photographers. It's called lobbying, most smart industries do it to raise the perception of their industry
    i think a showcase is a great idea to reach out and educate your clients and potential clients.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i think a showcase is a great idea to reach out and educate your clients and potential clients.
    It's a good idea to reach out directly to art directors and marketers to give them ideas and examples of work that has been done before, not necessarily for myself to get work but just to introduce them to good quality work. It is not the responsibility of our potential clients to teach themselves how to appreciate and value photography, it's our job to convince them it's worth it.

It's like how luxury brands work. They don't attempt to hardsell you their products. They send you a nice magazine telling you about how meticulous and beautifully made italian leather goods are, how their leather comes from the finest cows that feed on gold leaves (exaggerating but you get the idea...)

It's education and it helps people become more discerning. When you KNOW what quality is, it's hard to go backwards.

The internet is a great way to show people things, plus their effectiveness can be proven to some degree (for example when 500,000 people have viewed a youtube clip obviously the clip is effective in generating interest)

Some people think education won't work, and I do agree that education takes a LONG time.
    Which is why industry associations and unions exist also, they exist in part to help the industry, they're there for the long run.

So do we have an association that will do that?
    Last edited by mattlock; 3rd December 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post

Hence the need for us to step it up further and not just be as good as our foreign counterparts. Something that the local photography industry is far from.

Quote Originally Posted by havocidal View Post
    Hence the need for us to step it up further and not just be as good as our foreign counterparts. Something that the local photography industry is far from.
    Obviously the WHOLE industry is not going to be good, but we have very good photographers in Singapore, even by western standards.
    Take a look at Jonathan Tay or Teo Studios

well... i am sure everybody can take pictures... but are we 'creative'? Most of the ideas are not from the photographers. They were there to press the button. The ideas and visualisation comes from the creative/ art directors.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789