Thread: What happened to my photos?

Default What happened to my photos?

I just received some photos which I sent to print (from an online store). The images I sent to them were 2560x1920. Why is it the printed photos has some white borders on the left n right side? I remember during the printing instructions, I opt not to crop. Could this be the reason? What will happen if I choose to crop? Please advise. I am new to this, but last time when I sent to those shops (walk in), the photos came out ok.

I assume u printed in any size apart from 6R?

Your resolution of 2560x1920 has a ratio of 4:3 which means if you don't crop, your prints will only look right at a 6R print at 8" x 6".

Since you opt not to crop, they squeeze into the frame of maybe lets say a 4R of ratio 3:2 which using 2560 will be 2560x1707. Since your original resolution is 1920, you will get empty spaces.

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    I assume u printed in any size apart from 6R?

Your resolution of 2560x1920 has a ratio of 4:3 which means if you don't crop, your prints will only look right at a 6R print at 8" x 6".

Since you opt not to crop, they squeeze into the frame of maybe lets say a 4R of ratio 3:2 which using 2560 will be 2560x1707. Since your original resolution is 1920, you will get empty spaces.

Make sense?
    oic. so to print 4R (which was what i printed), i must make sure my pics are in 3:2? makes sense ... but ... how can i size my photos to be 3:2? can photoshop do it?

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    oic. so to print 4R (which was what i printed), i must make sure my pics are in 3:2? makes sense ... but ... how can i size my photos to be 3:2? can photoshop do it?
    crop with photoshop ==> choose the crop tool, set it to a fixed width and height (for 4R just set to "4 in" by "6 in") then choose required DPI (lets say your pics are 2560x1920, you can get 426DPI. But then for prints, 200DPI for 4R would be enough. Kiasu then pump to 250 or 300) Lastly, just drag and crop the area you want.

And there you go.

Oh my god!!!

OK, learn the basics, although I am not good at it.

3R: 3"x5"
    4R: 4"x6"
    5R: 5"x7"
    6R: 6"x8"
    8R: 8"x10"
    Super 8R (S8R): 8"x12"
    10R: 10"x12"
    12R: 12"x16"
    S12R: 12"x18"

Normally they print at 300 pixels per inch (PPI), so 4R you should crop your pictures a bit on bottom and top. Photoshop can do it, just click onto the crop function on the work panel on the left, select the size (4" and 6" respectively on the tool bar) and set the DPI (in this case is PPI and is 300). Drag your cursoer over the picture to crop the picture, it will always be in 3x2 ratio already due to the setting above. No need to crop fully, even a small portion of the original picture also can, as the setting will resize to 1800x1200 automatically.

Enjoy.

HelmetBox & theITguy ... thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    HelmetBox & theITguy ... thanks a lot.
    Noooooooooo problem Now you can teach others! heheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Can I just check, does crop to 6" by 4" the same as resize 6" by 4"??

If I resize the whole picture to 6" by 4", will I get the whole picture without the white border when I print it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Camm

If I resize the whole picture to 6" by 4", will I get the whole picture without the white border when I print it out?
    when cropping means u will 'cut' off certain parts of the pics to make it 6 by 4

Quote Originally Posted by Camm

That will depend on what resolution you captured your picture at. If you can't get it to the correct print size ratio which in this case is 6x4 = 3:2, then you'll have to crop it.

cropping means cutting, normally changing the ratio.

resizing means you just change the size keeping the ratio. (that is if you keep the aspect ratio locked)

Goodness, here we go again. You don't have to set DPI at all, it's a field to tell PS how large to print the file to on your own computer.

remember, if your framing is important to you, leave 1mm on either side of the image so that the frontier machines can crop. I learnt this from my printer. the printing machines requre 4"+2mmx6"+2mmto print 4"x6". so your framing should follow this if the borders are important to you.