Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 140

Thread: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

  1. #101

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    YES!!! I already lodged a complaint to Canon. Pending their reply on their response and corrective actions to be taken since they infected our desktops/laptops with their virus / backdoor to leak our information.
    It is as good as implanting a timebomb into your business. Not a small issue especially those user who have clients photos stored in their PC being wiped out.
    Just curious, what you expect from them then?

    Could a public apology enough?
    I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself

  2. #102

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    YES!!! I already lodged a complaint to Canon. Pending their reply on their response and corrective actions to be taken since they infected our desktops/laptops with their virus / backdoor to leak our information.
    It is as good as implanting a timebomb into your business. Not a small issue especially those user who have clients photos stored in their PC being wiped out.
    Did they cover their ass with the terms and conditons? If yes, you can't do much.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  3. #103

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Does that means even if they input in their terms and conditions with such clauses that they will not be liable or responsible for their actions. Even if it so, they also do not have the rights to infect our memory cards, laptops/desktop with virus. In the first place, they are forcing all of us who joined the competition to download our images into their laptops. We cannot submit virtually nor in hardcopy.

    Would it meant that by adding a terms and condition, i have the right to steal password and information from your pc without being sued by you?

  4. #104

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Does that means even if they input in their terms and conditions with such clauses that they will not be liable or responsible for their actions. Even if it so, they also do not have the rights to infect our memory cards, laptops/desktop with virus. In the first place, they are forcing all of us who joined the competition to download our images into their laptops. We cannot submit virtually nor in hardcopy.

    Would it meant that by adding a terms and condition, i have the right to steal password and information from your pc without being sued by you?
    You have yet to answer my question.

    Are you very sure it is Canon who deploy the virus?
    Last edited by Joshua0718; 12th October 2009 at 04:41 PM.
    I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself

  5. #105

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua0718 View Post
    You have yet to answer my question.

    Are you very sure it is Canon who deploy the virus?
    I do not know who deploy the virus.
    What IF someone who wants to sabohtage the company, shouldn't they have some pro-active action done prior to being sabohtage?

    just like a bank with lots of cash, don't they install security alarms, firewalls, camera, etc. instead of sitting and waiting to be robbed? If a bank is without security, who would trust their money with them.

    Therefore shouldn't they have pre-installed anti-virus and wiped out viruses before it spread out. If we are downloading using our own PC, then it will be our fault. But this time round, participants were indirectly forced to submit their photos through the organiser resources. Shouldn't they safeguard user interest since we are at their rented venue.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua0718 View Post
    Just curious, what you expect from them then?

    Could a public apology enough?

    they don't have to do anything if virus is from them?

  7. #107
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    hope u win the complaint but seriously tough. This kind of big company...to go into lawsuit is not their style.but if u push hard enough,which i doubt so, their legal team will be ready to squeeze u dry.unless u have more resources than them.this is not a strong case.at best they give u sthg but that will mean they admit is their fault.and that is no telling if canon is at fault to begin with.

  8. #108

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    they don't have to do anything if virus is from them?
    I know. What meant is what kind of response is playplay expecting. =)
    I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself

  9. #109

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Anyone know if the laptops had antivirus scanners installed?

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Under the Stars
    Posts
    2,122

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    I do not know if there's any antivirus installed.

    What I noticed was, when I was downloading my photo for the 1st theme, the laptop seems to go bonkers. And there's this AUTORUN shyt and the whole process took more than the 1 min stipulated for downloading. I suspect this when my card got infected.

    Anyway, my card has been revived and my laptop is free of the the virus thanks to my anitvirus software detecting and deleting it.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Hi ppl

    Is the result post online? is there a website which i can view.

  12. #112
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by 72kai View Post
    Hi ppl

    Is the result post online? is there a website which i can view.
    I been wait for this as well... but it seem like everyone are more interested in the virus then the result...

    whenever I refresh this, it all about the virus... Haiz...
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  13. #113

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Did they cover their ass with the terms and conditons? If yes, you can't do much.
    This typically also includes negligence?

  14. #114

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Canon has just contacted me regarding the above issues and have also viewed this forum.
    Pls post your nick and virus if you are infected previously.
    At least we get some post action remedy to thoroughly clean off the virus.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588015

  15. #115

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Does that means even if they input in their terms and conditions with such clauses that they will not be liable or responsible for their actions. Even if it so, they also do not have the rights to infect our memory cards, laptops/desktop with virus. In the first place, they are forcing all of us who joined the competition to download our images into their laptops. We cannot submit virtually nor in hardcopy.

    Would it meant that by adding a terms and condition, i have the right to steal password and information from your pc without being sued by you?

    Stealing is a crime by itself, which shouldn't be excluded from any clauses. Now, I missed Vince123123.(Nah!)

    I didn't take part in this competition but they usually have clauses to cover their ass.

    Typically it will include clause like this:
    If you bang your head while submitting pictures.
    If the hall collapse and crush everyone in it.

    By taking part in the competition, you would have to accept these clauses. Go read them.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

  16. #116
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    For all we know, playplay could have been the patient zero and was the source of the infection.

    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  17. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Just curious cos my 1st time participating with my friends, we were practically "chase" out of almost every mall we went into (the security guards keep following us and reminding us no shooting, no shooting). Is this always the case? Care to share on how do you all (for those who joined before) handle the situation (apart from snapping quickly and quietly)? Rather disappointed and upset in the overall treatment.
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

  18. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    actually, i agree with u. this is my 1st yr taking part in Canon photomarathon. the horror stories of long registration queues of last 2 years didn't happen. registration was a breeze. picture uploading was ok if u return early enough (at least 30 minutes before cut-off time, anyway, u need to submit only one pic, no need take so long). only gripe would be the virus infecting photogs' memory cards.

    otherwise, Osim massage, FOC milo, water and A4 prints are good to have items. people might be "spoilt" by past years' freebies and expecting too much.

    Canon probably "lose" money organising these type of events but the return they got was intangible (goodwill from Canon users, "free" mobile advertising "billboards" roaming around town for 1 day).

    So, live n let live. Kudos to Canon. If people think its such a crappy event, they shouldn't take part next year. Just my 2 cts worth.
    Same feelings here!
    Except for the "ill" treatment felt as quoted in my earlier posting. Sigh.....
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

  19. #119

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Just curious cos my 1st time participating with my friends, we were practically "chase" out of almost every mall we went into (the security guards keep following us and reminding us no shooting, no shooting). Is this always the case? Care to share on how do you all (for those who joined before) handle the situation (apart from snapping quickly and quietly)? Rather disappointed and upset in the overall treatment.
    Maybe travel in smaller groups and don't wear the Canon T shirt? Large groups of DSLR totting photographers can be intimdiating to the security guards.

  20. #120

    Default Re: Canon Photo Marathon 2009

    Canon has already sent out an advisory email to participants about the possibility of their card being infected and to take the necessary precaution actions. They also offered additional help to those who need further assistance.

    Good damage control management!

    Last edited by weekh; 13th October 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •