Ah, thanks guys... Thanks for the links as well.
Well I think it is you who are making sarcastic remarks right now. From your comments below, you are getting personal. If you cannot tahan feedbacks from all sides, how can you improve (assuming you are speaking up for the event, Canon, or the judges)?
I am a friend of one of the Canon staff in fact. I already told her, it looked like tons of people ran off after submitting the first theme. The problem is, after organizing the event for so many years, no one came up to settle the timing for uploading pics. Uploading should be for easily available for everybody and you cannot blame people for being back late. Most actually were still within the timing. You should expect that there will be a jam. 12.30pm was the release of the second theme and you told people to be back at 1.30pm? What's this? Luckily the emcee was smart enough to amend it later to 2.30pm. We see that a lot just left after they found that they have not sufficient time for the second theme after going through the horrendous queue for uploading the first theme. They jolly well knew there would be thousands of people. Had they even thought of
1. one more row of downloading stations, that means 40 stations (or more)? You want to organize such a big event, you might as well get the right number of staff to handle the event. Why only one row of 20 downloading stations? All participants have the right to download their pics; all should have equal rights and time to cover any theme.
2. If you want to cut cost and don't want to employ so many personnel, you can put up self-uploading stations. Most participants are between 14-35 anyway and we should all be IT literate. (I mean, how can you don't know how to upload if you have been using DSLRs?) Perhaps you are afraid of people messing up the files and people submitting photos not taken on that day. However it is not difficult to get a system expert to customize a little software where an individual can upload his/her photos after logging in with his/her IC number. The software can cutoff the usb link after the uploader clicks 'logout'. In this way, you can be sure that your temp staff will not destroy or corrupt people's precious pics during the handling of the CF card. The software can also be customized to detect and clean out viruses.
In conclusion, what I want to say is: if you want to organize an event of this scale, you need to think long term. I thought I heard Billy joke that the crowd is increasing every year and maybe we need to go to the stadium in the future. This is possible you know. You either do it or you don't do it. If you want to organize something properly, you either limit the number of participants to an amount that is 'handle-able', or you must put in some budget to improve the infrastructure if you want a mega-event.
I went for MY Photo Marathon. And SG is way better than MY one. So, don't complain, seriously. LoL
I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself
Is the result posted online?
does this mean that only a few will be joining next year? hehehe..
fewer competition, greater chance of winning.. peace! ^_^\/,,
actually this is my 1st time to join this photomarathon and so far I kinda like the experience. I really dont care if I win or not, or are the winning entries good or not, what matters most is the experience you gain in joining this type of competition. IMHO. ^_^
* just hope that nikon will come out with something like this... hmmm... maybe next time I will stick a nikon logo on my canon photomarathon shirt. :P
Nikon D90 + AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm3.5-5.6 VR
nikon got SIN..also almost same fees..but no t-shirt and u get all those XMM to shoot and if u are lucky those [edited by sbs99] freebies for u to shoot too.......that's nikon for u...
[sbs99: come on...be nice...dun post sarcastic/suggestive comments here leh]
Last edited by sbs99; 12th October 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Anyway for this Canon event, its already done and over. Those with great ideas, should really befriend those Canon folks and share those ideas, and improve the event for 2010!
sorry sbs99...hhaha..din mean to be sacrastic to anino88...haha i really think nikon got the SIN and canon got the photomarathon....but of course the contents diff...
So now,,,,the question is....who were so mental to come on the dot at 0700 or earlier for registration?
come on own up.
myself i came around 0920, walked to the registration and paid, collected shirt...all less then 10mins.
You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.
1. Ugly design t-shirt and cap.
2. No more free breakfast and lunch. They co-operate with Sunway Lagoon theme park to sell the participants to buy from them, which is superb expensive.
3. Only 1 entrance, which is not the public entrance and all of us have to walk a lot.
4. Computer breakdown, a lot of participant aren't able to upload.
5. Judges unable to announce the winner until 9pm something. Announce online only.
6. Did not keep promise, did not show Canon 7D during the marathon.
Many more lar, all these is what I can thought of.
But this time, they improve, at least they learned from the lesson last year.
1. 100 computer standby. BUT system unable to cope with the mass uploading from the participants.
2. More than enough of manpower to handle the registration. Last year, they are short of manpower to handle registration, and those who come later around 8+ have to queue up very long just for the registration
Last edited by Joshua0718; 12th October 2009 at 11:54 AM.
I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself
really gotta give Canon a round of applause for organising such a big event. Its really not easy to get everything perfectly in place for such big events with so many participants. Certain hiccups here n there should be acceptable. Don think they wanna pass us all e virus intentionally. Think we should give more constructive comments here so tat they can improve from there. There r times when they r good n we should praise n give them a pat on e shoulder shouldnt we?? Imagine e effort n hours they put in for this event. They really deserve a big "THK U" n a "word of praise" rather than criticism.
Don flame me here huh, just my 2 cts worth of opinion.
otherwise, Osim massage, FOC milo, water and A4 prints are good to have items. people might be "spoilt" by past years' freebies and expecting too much.
Canon probably "lose" money organising these type of events but the return they got was intangible (goodwill from Canon users, "free" mobile advertising "billboards" roaming around town for 1 day).
So, live n let live. Kudos to Canon. If people think its such a crappy event, they shouldn't take part next year. Just my 2 cts worth.
YES!!! I already lodged a complaint to Canon. Pending their reply on their response and corrective actions to be taken since they infected our desktops/laptops with their virus / backdoor to leak our information.
It is as good as implanting a timebomb into your business. Not a small issue especially those user who have clients photos stored in their PC being wiped out.