View Poll Results: Will you still sit at the seat chope by tissue?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use/keep/dump the tissue, sit on chope seat

50 63.29%
  • No, I will not sit on those tissue-chope seats

29 36.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If seats are chope with tissue, do you really dare to sit?

Default Re: If seats are chope with tissue, do you really dare to sit?

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    There is perhaps no use complaining about the tissue reservation culture as this is the norm and cannot be changed overnight.
    Just because something is the normal and cannot be changed overnight doesn't mean that we shouldn't say something against it if we feel it is wrong.

It is through apathy and not saying/doing anything that made it "culture" and the norm in the first place.

What we should not tolerate are people who exhibit the following behaviors:
    Absolutely agree with what you wrote. But just because there are other evils in the world doesn't mean we can't highlight one or discuss it, and more importantly try to do something about it. And just because there are other evils going on doesn't make this one any more excuseable (if indeed it is an evil).

Wouldn't have as much problems if Singapore wasn't so over populated.

Just to cite an example. I was at a small cafe once. I saw a couple who parked their benz in front of the shop. Walked in with two maids and two kids (age between 10 to 12). While the cafe was self service, the man shouted across from the table for what he wanted to eat. The two maids were standing throughout and were not even given a crumb on the table. Food arrived in timely fashion, but when they left, the table had drinks poured all over, dripping onto the floor. Some plates were upside down. It was a horrible mess and the next group of people had to wait for the mess to be cleared. And when that couple left, not a word of thanks was expressed for the kind and tolerant service by the staff. Yes, he may have made a small fortune with a mere C class (1.8l btw LOL), but he could have been an example to his very own children.

If we exhibit graciousness, we shall be given the same treatment in return - usually.

Sounds like you have described people who think they have made it big in life, but have actually regressed towards the bottom.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Wouldn't have as much problems if Singapore wasn't so over populated.
    that's a giant leap in logic...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that's a giant leap in logic...
    Couldn't help it, I never got to experience chope-seats in other less populated countries - because there was never a need to.

I wonder... what's gonna happen if you sit at a table that's been "tissued"? Will the person who put the tissue pack there really react? Has there been any reported of case of somebody getting whacked by ah bengs/lians?

The main issue is not about occupying seats for hours using tissue paper. As there should be very few cases like this unless people forgot to take tissue back. In CBD area, we all know that ppl juz queue, buy food, eat and leave...every movement is fast and furious.

The issue is why majority of us can't accept the use of tissue vs person vs his/her belonging's to occupy seats.

Some of the reasons i can think of:

1) Is it because tissue doesn't quite tell us the seats are reserved? (our own language, but not everyone know and foreigner have no ideas). It's like keep speaking mandarin to the whole world and expect everyone to understand which i think it can be rude. Bags can tell us better? (common language). .

2) We think tissue paper is too cheapo to occupy a seat. It's not an unique or expensive personal item, so it's not counted.

3) It looks too casual and easy to leave a tissue behind. You need to do better to ocupy seats.
    Last edited by baggiolee; 12th October 2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    I wonder... what's gonna happen if you sit at a table that's been "tissued"? Will the person who put the tissue pack there really react? Has there been any reported of case of somebody getting whacked by ah bengs/lians?
    I've seen an angmo sat on the 'reserved' seat' during peak hour. He ate half way then the people who 'reserved' the seat told him (politely) the seat is reserved with his tissue paper. Then the angmo look abit stunned and left helplessly with his food...poor guy.

Come to think of it...if tissue paper is printed with "Sorry! Seat is Reserved." I have no issue at all lol.
    Last edited by baggiolee; 12th October 2009 at 05:05 AM.

... If the intent is to quickly get over a meal together, i feel it is perfectly fine to respect the tissue culture. I often see people leaving quickly so others can have a chance to seat and place their packets of tissue. And it goes on...
    I feel that we should do away with the tissue culture totally ...

Assuming there is NO tissue reservation in the first place, everyone go directly to queue to buy their food first. When their food is ready, they bring their food on a tray and look for a vacant place to seat and consume their food before leaving the food centre ...

In this way, every one looking for / getting a seat, will be using the place almost immediately as they would have already gotten their food. The seat is more efficiently utilized.

We must change the KIASU mentality that one must have a seat first before buying one's food at the food centre ... why must this be so??!! Worse case scenario if no seat is available, stand around and hope someone finishes his/her meal soon and leave ... after all it takes only about 10 to 20 minutes to consume a simple lunch food centre meal, right?!

I would just sit.

If the person who comes back and make a fuss, I would just tell that person that "I thought this was a gracious society, and the tissue pack was placed there by the stalls for customers" and smile.

Alternatively, turn the pack around back and forth, and say "I didn't see your name on it"

"eh? got free tissues leh, you need to go toilet right? just take la."

a true case scenario that happen not long ago.....

free tissues for the day: 14.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post

The issue is why majority of us can't accept the use of tissue vs person vs his/her belonging's to occupy seats.
    whether you like it or not,

most people like to hear it from another person, rather than a pack of silent tissue paper.

just throw the darn tissue on the floor and said there was no tissue when you sat down, what the h**k

it is a common known problem in Raffles Place hawker centre ... office ladies many are like that.

Anyway, I can't find the word "Chope" in a dictionary...
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

i wont take the tissue and seat..

i'll take the tissue so others can seat while i go bbb lens

I think it is reasonable that at least 1 or 2 person of the group sit at the table to reserve sits for the rest. At least they can politely inform other patrons that the sits are reserved.

So I only respect a person, but not an object that cannot talk.

But then, when it comes to reserving car park with dustbin etc, it is another level altogether.

My estate have ppl use cement filled bins to "reserve" the road outside their house. But the road does not belong to them. It is a public road. So what should i do? Confront them? They are usually extremely unreasonable.

And normally, I try to be good neighbours as we see each other and other family members daily. If everyday need to quarrel, very stressful leh.

So how?

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post
    I think it is reasonable that at least 1 or 2 person of the group sit at the table to reserve sits for the rest. At least they can politely inform other patrons that the sits are reserved.

But then, when it comes to reserving car park with dustbin etc, it is another level altogether.

My estate have ppl use cement filled bins to "reserve" the road outside their house. But the road does not belong to them. It is a public road. So what should i do? Confront them? They are usually extremely unreasonable.

And normally, I try to be good neighbours as we see each other and other family members daily. If everyday need to quarrel, very stressful leh.

So how?
    drive a bulldozer.

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post

So how?

Just call the police loh.. They wont know it's you who call and you can still smile at them after the incident...

Quote Originally Posted by hongwen37 View Post
    Just call the police loh.. They wont know it's you who call and you can still smile at them after the incident...
    or 1800-CALL LTA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast