Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Next Lens Will Be...???

Default Re: Your Next Lens Will Be...???

hmm. they quote you $860? I called and i was quoted $890. somemore the guy who pick up the phone keep reminding me that this is cash price.

Although its like $200 cheaper than the pentax 12-24, I'm afraid the resell value is no where near the pentax 12-24. Still considering if i should just go ahead and buy the pentax one.

hi all! posted around here but have yet to introduce myself! i'm new to dslrs and decided to go with pentax after a lot of research! hope to learn more from you guys in future

i have gotten LBA real bad. i bought my first lens, even before i bought my camera! so now i have an FA31 sitting around in my house, without a camera to fit it onto.

by the way, does it make sense to have both FA43 and FA31? i like the smaller size of the FA43 but i don't want to make my FA31 redundant either..

Quote Originally Posted by minty View Post
    hi all! posted around here but have yet to introduce myself! i'm new to dslrs and decided to go with pentax after a lot of research! hope to learn more from you guys in future

i have gotten LBA real bad. i bought my first lens, even before i bought my camera! so now i have an FA31 sitting around in my house, without a camera to fit it onto.

by the way, does it make sense to have both FA43 and FA31? i like the smaller size of the FA43 but i don't want to make my FA31 redundant either..
    If you ask me, the focal lengths are abit close to justify.
    FA 31mm and FA 50mm f1.4 makes a better combo IMO.

My dream team would probably be a 12-24, 31mm and FA* 85mm

i got the 77, 31, VT125 and AF540 without having any pentax dslr...

the 31 and 43 even though its quite close, they can co-exist no problem... the 31 is good for street, landscape and children close up shot the 43 is also good for street as well, but it truly shines if u ever shoot studio with it, at f8 its unbeatable...

get the 77mm as well... its the best among the 3 imo...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

FA77!!.........

Quote Originally Posted by bunegg View Post
    FA77!!.........
    Good choice <:
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Boy I think you got your priorities the wrong way round.
    If you had got your camera first, even if it came with the basic 18-55mm kit lens, you'd have time to figure out the many controls and functions of the camera, but you'll also be able to see visually and answer your own question on the difference in angle of view at around 31mm and 43mm. To tell you the truth, there is no real magic focal length or lens, it all boils down to whether you spend enough time behind the viewfinder to be sufficiently familiar with the characteristics of the lens. I'd rather get the a shot with an el-cheapo lens mounted than no shot at all. Now don't waste anymore photo opportunity time and get that camera.

well it doesn't make sense to get the FA43 if that means you can't spare any money for a camera body

I want a MIJ silver 77, Where can I get?
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    I want a MIJ silver 77, Where can I get?
    Think all new ones are MIV . . .

No difference really if the QC is there . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Think all new ones are MIV . . .

No difference really if the QC is there . . .
    Yeah, I know for a fact that It's the same thing but, MIJ's are kind of rare and sort after. Anyway, Might as well wait for somebody to throw away theirs. I'm not in a hurry you know
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

The resale price is diff. Very soon, MIJ will command a premium. Heard some QC diff over PentaxForums.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    The resale price is diff. Very soon, MIJ will command a premium. Heard some QC diff over PentaxForums.
    Well no matter where a lens is made, there will always be sample variations.
    I tested 6 copies of the FA 50mm f/1.4 in the shop and they all showed ever so slight variations. My first FA 43mm definitely showed a lot more purple fringing than my current one. My first Voigtlander 125mm had an assembly fault affecting the aperture blades. Even when I selected my Voigtlander 58mm from several copies, there were slight differences. All the lenses I've mentioned above were MIJ, so it all boils down to QC and sample variations not place of manufacture or assembly.

When you take a nice picture, who is going to ask you where your lens was made.
    Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Well no matter where a lens is made, there will always be sample variations.
    I tested 6 copies of the FA 50mm f/1.4 in the shop and they all showed ever so slight variations. My first FA 43mm definitely showed a lot more purple fringing than my current one. My first Voigtlander 125mm had an assembly fault affecting the aperture blades. Even when I selected my Voigtlander 58mm from several copies, there were slight differences. All the lenses I've mentioned above were MIJ, so it all boils down to QC and sample variations not place of manufacture or assembly.

When you take a nice picture, who is going to ask you where your lens was made.
    Think about it.
    Yep, i think most folks care about where the lens is made not because of the label, but more as a proxy for QC variations. Esp. when you're buying second hand from overseas with no chance to try, you would look out for proxy factors to determine quality, such as sample pictures, country of origin, etc. Whether real or not, there is a widespread perception that lenses made in japan will have less QC problems than those made in vietnam.
    Scene in Singapore
    Lens of the month: Mamiya Sekor 60mm f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by knyghtfall81 View Post
    Yep, i think most folks care about where the lens is made not because of the label, but more as a proxy for QC variations. Esp. when you're buying second hand from overseas with no chance to try, you would look out for proxy factors to determine quality, such as sample pictures, country of origin, etc. Whether real or not, there is a widespread perception that lenses made in japan will have less QC problems than those made in vietnam.
    So called reasoning can be flawed. I guess in the worse case argument we might as well not buy any Pentax cameras or flash units because they are all Made in the Philippines.
    What about all the DA, DFA and DA Limiteds... aren't they ALL made in Vietnam?
    Last edited by creampuff; 11th October 2009 at 09:57 PM.

with the FA Ltd lens continue in production, the MIJ is not gonna command a premium unless there is significant difference and who knows, maybe in future the MIV will be with "improved" SMC coatings.

Ooh no.. We are getting into this MIJ vs MIV dispute again. Different people have different priorities. Country of made is like branding to me - may not make any diff but have a big pyschological effect. I agree that not all MIJ products are faultless and some great products are MI-other_countries. In fact, I am perfectly fine with the MIV DA limiteds, never felt discounted, since they had been MIV from the start. There are more issues with the FA limiteds due to the change in the country of made. For the same price, I would still prefer a MIJ.

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    with the FA Ltd lens continue in production, the MIJ is not gonna command a premium unless there is significant difference and who knows, maybe in future the MIV will be with "improved" SMC coatings.
    That's one way to drum up support for MIV stuff. Right now tho, lotsa ppl are using MIJ as a draw for selling their pentax stuff.. and lotsa buyers prefer MIJ stuff as well. Like it or not, we won't have a choice since all Pentax lenses will be made in vietnam or the philippines from now on. Just wondering - are there any Pentax lens that continue to be made in japan?
    Scene in Singapore
    Lens of the month: Mamiya Sekor 60mm f2.8 Macro

Maybe those on special order like the FA 600mm f/4 might still be MIJ.
    But I find the MIJ vs MIV debate with regards to the FA Limiteds to be kinda silly... like now must quickly source out and buy MIJ FA Limiteds before they are unavailable just to have peace of mind... this is skewed LBA thinking imo. But I do accept others may differ in view.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    Its a mis concept that the FA* 85 is expensive... its 1.6 to 1.7K depending on condition. Nikon 85mm f1.4 new is $1850, Canon 85mm f1.2 is 3.2K and above... The FA* 85 is right up there with the best. Its not over hype, its performance is that good.
    I really dont' like the FA color scheme

DA* 85/1.4, or even better, 85/1.4 limited, would be most welcome, even at 1.8k.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast