Thread: Focusing Speed

Default Focusing Speed

May I know whether the focusing speed is affected by the camera body ? Will the focusing speed increase if a high-end body is used compare to a normal body.
    | Nikon D60 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VR | Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 | Tamron AF 18-270mm VC | SB-800 |

Default Re: Focusing Speed

AF speed, assuming from the moment u half press the shutter to the shot being taken, is affected by the camera body and the lens u using.

Speed is determined by body (recognizing image pattern, calculating necessary focus movements of the lens, sending command to lens) and by lens (executing the move) and also by the available light (dim light can cause 'focus hunting' - last resort of AF unit to find focused position of the lens).
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by khyou99 View Post
    May I know whether the focusing speed is affected by the camera body ? Will the focusing speed increase if a high-end body is used compare to a normal body.
    You can make use of zone focusing or hyperfocusing for even faster focusing than depending on AF or some high end equipment.

Focusing speed can be affected by:

1. Poor subject and background contrast

2. Reflective surface

3. Low light

4. Subject is behind a piece of glass

5. Subject is fast moving

Yes, in a nutshell, the camera can affect the focusing speed.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Yes, there a some difference between the bodies. Whether the difference is sufficient to make a difference, varies from person to person. See measurement results in links below.

D60 : http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...Test-Nikon-D60
    D3x : http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...tal-Statistics