Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 compared to 9 focus point

Default Re: 7 compared to 9 focus point

isn't there a custom function on the 1d that lets you choose how many you can select... i have all 45 selectable on my 1dII...
    19 Selectable ones lor.... really, someone with 1DIII, can you please point me if there's away to manually select more than just the 19 AF points?

Not that I really need it but it sucks to miss a function I assume does not exist.

AH most of the time i switch to manual focus and practice my fingers to be nimble. however i find true that multiple points make tracking a subject easier. well it does boils down to your preference as to what you want to capture and how is it gona be done.
    Man greatest tool. The imaginative mind.

i just realized iam goin backwards .. away from all the features in what my tool could offer..
    Man greatest tool. The imaginative mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    19 Selectable ones lor.... really, someone with 1DIII, can you please point me if there's away to manually select more than just the 19 AF points?

Not that I really need it but it sucks to miss a function I assume does not exist.
    According to pg 84 of your manual, you can select only 19 points, which are cross-points.

The rest as horizontal points and are not user selectable.

I have no idea what Canon engineers were thinking, but I would imagine for many (including myself), that's a painful handicap, as is the AF system itself. It's a pity because the Mk3 would have been a perfect camera for me in so many ways.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 11th October 2009 at 03:28 AM.

u cant select all 45 points. they made some changes to the af after the mark 2. the other than the number of af points, it is a different beast from the mark 2.

aiiite i just went through and actually counted how many are on my mkII... can select all 45

so why then did canon switch to only being able to select 19 with the mkIII?

u cant select all 45 points. they made some changes to the af after the mark 2. the other than the number of af points, it is a different beast from the mark 2.
    Riiiigggghhhhtttt. Now, hmmm, I wonder what's the rationale behind reducing for a newer model. Though I know 19 suffice, I certainly wouldn't mind having 45.

According to pg 84 of your manual, you can select only 19 points, which are cross-points.
    Ya, that's what I know anyways haha, thanks for confirming. Just that I didn't expect a later model, Mark III to have 26 lesser selectable ones.
    Last edited by rendition; 11th October 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Riiiigggghhhhtttt. Now, hmmm, I wonder what's the rationale behind reducing for a newer model. Though I know 19 suffice, I certainly wouldn't mind having 45.

Ya, that's what I know anyways haha, thanks for confirming. Just that I didn't expect a later model, Mark III to have 26 lesser selectable ones.
    read the white paper.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com...SLR-Camera.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12