Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Photo Story: American Soldier

  1. #1

    Default Photo Story: American Soldier

    Wonderful collections of photos, glad he made it back safely.
    Can learn much from studying the photos..
    So random yet so well composed..

    http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...rican-soldier/

    For 27 months, Ian Fisher, his parents and friends, and the U.S. Army allowed Denver Post reporters and a photographer to watch and chronicle his recruitment, induction, training, deployment, and, finally, his return from combat. A selection of photos from Ian’s journey are posted below.

    The story was written by Kevin Simpson with Michael Riley and Bruce Finley. It was reported by Riley in Colorado and at Fort Benning, Ga., Finley at Fort Carson and in Iraq, and photographer Craig F. Walker throughout.

    The multimedia project, including all the photos, video and special features, can be viewed at www.denverpost.com/americansoldier.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 8th October 2009 at 05:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Member Azmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    With my camera..hee
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Great pics!!
    Wished I could show my military works. Too bad no clearance from our own Army..Sigh

  3. #3
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    our army scare capture all the bad stuffs and generate bad publicity. somemore ours go to the forested area only to shoot blank then shout ''IA,IA,....''...bloody switch to universal round''bang bang bang bang....''

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Talking Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    our army scare capture all the bad stuffs and generate bad publicity. somemore ours go to the forested area only to shoot blank then shout ''IA,IA,....''...bloody switch to universal round''bang bang bang bang....''
    ......

    That's Life in the NS!
    Under ©onstruction!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 9th October 2009 at 10:51 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    The look on the recruits also gong gong, sotong sotong one

    Wah piang eh, the poor guy also got so many 'bing bian' during his serving time

  7. #7

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    our army pales in comparison...we have uniforms designed by ppl who don't wear them in the field...how i wish the designers are ppl who used to be regulars like the US industry...at least they have a better concept about feeling comfortable while deployed outfield.

    You mean the old uniform or the new 'digital' one?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    You mean the old uniform or the new 'digital' one?
    the new one, heard some feedbacks from a regular, the top is still uncomfortable as before except is faster-drying now.
    and the new fbo closes up breathing space on the chest with armor plating on...sometimes is better to travel light so that you can go the longer distance.

    the ceramic armor plating matter also a funny case, by theory can withstand 5 rounds of 5.56mm before the armor give way, so does that mean 1 round of 7.62mm round will penetrate though ?
    Last edited by Simon_84; 9th October 2009 at 01:52 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    the new one, heard some feedbacks from a regular, the top is still uncomfortable as before except is faster-drying now.
    and the new fbo closes up breathing space on the chest with armor plating on...sometimes is better to travel light so that you can go the longer distance.

    SAF is one screwed up organisation. Many reservist units, including mine are not given the new uniforms or are trained in SAR21.

    This means that if we happen to go to battle next month, the enemies will be seeing doubles. 2 different armies from one country. We win liao

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    talk about sar21, my reservist unit haven't even teach us the basic theory and stripping of the rifle...
    as for the new uniform, maybe around 2014 then all the reservist units will change.
    pioneer mag got mentioned before.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 9th October 2009 at 01:53 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Doesnt matter lah, a 556 will our kill our enemies the same way m16 or SAR21, digicamo or otherwise..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Doesnt matter lah, a 556 will our kill our enemies the same way m16 or SAR21, digicamo or otherwise..
    against a determined opponent if he doesn't lie flat on the ground after a few burst of 5.56mm, under the SAF ROE in urban combat, we were told to empty the whole mag of 30 rounds into the enemy...

    don't underestimate the "punching" power of a single 7.62mm round right though the chest...especially if the ceramic armor plating gives way.

    american troops in iraq feedback that the 5.56 doesn't have enough power to drop an opponent in urban combat.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 9th October 2009 at 05:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    under the SAF ROE in urban combat, we were told to empty the whole mag of 30 rounds into the enemy...
    i think that's the past le uncle simon i believe they have since changed to more humane ROE, only aimed shots. 99% we will die for we who are trained only briefly for the basics and motion

  14. #14

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    think the recruitment must have dipped badly in the US that trigger the this photo story.. another plot to get their young man enlisted to fight for the world peace

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    i think that's the past le uncle simon i believe they have since changed to more humane ROE, only aimed shots. 99% we will die for we who are trained only briefly for the basics and motion
    lol an NSF instructor told my whole ICT batch this just 2 weeks ago...i don't think anything has change except the aim shot thing is more for sentry duties during peace time.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    think the recruitment must have dipped badly in the US that trigger the this photo story.. another plot to get their young man enlisted to fight for the world peace
    more like fighting for oil...and keeping their military industry alive...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    lost in translation
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    thanks for the good read...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    lost in translation
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by Azmi View Post
    Great pics!!
    Wished I could show my military works. Too bad no clearance from our own Army..Sigh
    maybe mindef should consider doing something similar...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    lol an NSF instructor told my whole ICT batch this just 2 weeks ago...i don't think anything has change except the aim shot thing is more for sentry duties during peace time.
    there there are double standards! my unit recent ict in september we learnt room clearing with aim shots only leh.. the 'cool' factor apparently overwhelmed the reality factor in alot of my guys.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Photo Story: American Soldier

    Back to thread...

    I really liked the composition of photos in this series..
    In fact, it's almost like a wonderful glossary of composition possibilities.
    Will urgh all noobies like myself to look at them closer and deeper, tink theres much to learn here..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •