Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody owns a CANON 17-40mm F/4L USM Lens?

Default Re: ##### Does anybody owns a CANON 17-40mm F/4L USM Lens? #####

I really need a lens replacement on my 18-55 Kit lens. So basing on what you guys where suggesting was a Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, but the way is see it is just more like of a kit lens (the look and feel). Money wise I cant afford to ditch a few more bucks on a 17-55 lens. I think the 17-40mm even cost that much already.
    aiyo, you mean colour is black like a kit lens and no red line one, issit? sure got the right lens or not, cos there is EFS 17-85 and EFS 18-55 also.

i got 17-55mm/2.8 and it certainly doesn't behave like a kit lens. from the weight and build can tell already. IQ also that much better and i appreciate the extra width in aperture. but if you going to upgrade to FF in next few years i guess makes more sense to not get EFS. too late for me, too attached to the 17-55 and 10-22mm already...
    Last edited by tjana; 9th October 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add line for clarity

To all people who have replied to this thread, thank you for your overwhelming response.

Did a lot of research last night about what is the best lenses for a crop sensor cameras and the EF 17-40mm. To my surprise the 18-55 Kit lens will beat the 17-40mm mounted on a 500D (crop sensor cameras) in terms of image quality. And not only that the kit lens will beat the the L lens in low light situations.

Here is a proof of everything on what I've just said based on canonlabs website.
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca..._results.shtml

I know there is a lot difference between the build quality of the L lens vs EF-S lenses.

The verdict is I won't be buying 17-40mm mounted on a 500d. (Hope I'm right, or do you disagree)

But still im still stuck with my question, what are the lense that can replace my kit lens in terms of image quality? Some say the 17-55 f/2.8 is good, the cons are it is big and pricely. Some says Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] ( still have to do a lot research ).

Any other choices? will consider 3rd party lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by pokoot View Post
    But still im still stuck with my question, what are the lense that can replace my kit lens in terms of image quality? Some say the 17-55 f/2.8 is good, the cons are it is big and pricely. Some says Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] ( still have to do a lot research ).

Any other choices? will consider 3rd party lenses.
    The question you should ask yourself is what do you need.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    The question you should ask yourself is what do you need.
    Very Obvious, I need a lens that will replace my 18-55kit lens. There where choices given by other members, but are there any sigma lens that will work on crop sensor cameras

I hate people saying the kind of question because it is a never ending question. Sometimes it is good just not to say anything.

Bullocks mate!

Very Obvious, I need a lens that will replace my 18-55kit lens. There where choices given by other members, but are there any sigma lens that will work on crop sensor cameras

I hate people saying the kind of question because it is a never ending question. Sometimes it is good just not to say anything.

Bullocks mate!
    Obviously we all know you need a lens to replace your 18-55, but what do you need in that replacement lens? Do you need more range? Wider angle? Large aperture? Stabiliser?

Think harder before you think my question is useless. It is the question I ask myself before buying any lens, or any thing for that matter.

Any lens that work on FF camera will work on crop cameras.. but not the reverse.

At least, it applies to canon.. not sure about other brands.

As for lens suggestion.. maybe EFS 17-55 F2.8 like many pple suggested.. or if on budget, the tamron 17-50 F2.8

The tamron has bigger aperture and maybe cheaper.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 9th October 2009 at 03:32 PM.

now i think A FEW NEW LENS FOR CANON.
    EF-S15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
    EF-S18 - 135mm f3.5-5.6 IS
    but i think the tamron highly recommended.
    Last edited by kirkchua79; 9th October 2009 at 07:31 PM.

If you will be doing a lot of indoor photography, and want a similar zoom range to the 18-55mm kit lens, then I would highly recommend the 17-55mm 2.8. The extra couple of f-stops of light is invaluable for low light photography. I have this lens and have been very pleased with the results. The full time manual focus ring and non-rotating front element (great for polarising filters) are pretty handy features too.
    On the other hand, if you just want a lens for every day general use, then I would recommend sticking with the kit lens. The 18-55mm is actually a very good lens as you have found in your research.

Bullocks mate!
    it's "bollocks", if you don't know the term properly and you say "bullocks mate" you just end up embarassing yourself publicly.

on another note.. he is not asking you for fun. why do you want to replace your 18-55 kit lens? there has to be reasons, right? obviously you're unhappy with it, so you want to change it.

otherwise, you're just buying for the sake of buying. that's also your choice, but then, like that, buy anything also can. you just want to throw away good money, so any lens will do in that case. even a 600mm lens or something.

some third party lens similar to the 18-55 focal range with better IQ include the sigma 18-50 f/2.8, tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the sigma 17-70 macro (not a real macro lens).
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th October 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12