Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 123

Thread: A tissue packet too far

  1. #41

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    actually, the argument that it is more efficient to reserve seats is flawed. i think the reserving of seats actually causes inefficiency. while you are queuing for your food, someone else could have taken the seat, finished his food, and left!

    instead, seats are left empty for 15-20 minutes (at amoy st food centre) while people queue, and the others mill around looking for "un-choped" seats!

    i don't see such things in other countries..it's always get your food, find a seat. come on...it can't be that singaporeans somehow figured out a way to eat at crowded places?
    i think the downtime when the seats are vacant is not enough for a group of people to buy their food, eat it and leave.

  2. #42
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by Linnl71 View Post
    As you all have known, there has been a lot of debate about reserving seats with packets of tissues already.

    Anyway, I just want to share with you what I read quite awhile back. Bear in mind that I am not supporting the idea of using packets of tissue to reserve seats nor do I strongly detest it. What I read awhile back seems fairly logical to me and so my intentions are just to share with you guys, and I will try to summarize as much as I can too :P

    Usually the objective of reserving seats with packets of tissue is what? It is to allow all members of the group to be able to move out and get their food before finally settling down, eating together; less time consuming, in a sense.

    On the other hand, if 1 member (member A) of the group has to sit down to reserve the seat, member A would have to wait for the rest of them to come back to the table to be able to get his food. In addition, while he is out looking for this food, MAYBE the rest would wait for him to come back before starting to eat. Even so, wouldn't it be more time consuming as compared to substituting a person with a must "invaluable" item such as a packet of tissue to reserve a seat instead?

    I mean it does make sense to me. Of course you could argue that it is not right or it is kiasu etc. & I understand your point because sometimes I feel the same way too. Anyway, again, my objective is just to share with you all, not to start a debate.

    Cheers !
    Just help each other lah. One of the member can help the member A to buy food for him/her so that He/she won't be wasting the trip. Unless the member is a unqiue personal who only like to buy food for himself. I think that is what are friends for.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  3. #43
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Just help each other lah. One of the member can help the member A to buy food for him/her so that He/she won't be wasting the trip. Unless the member is a unqiue personal who only like to buy food for himself. I think that is what are friends for.
    Oh ya.. true, true..!!

    Why didn't I think of it the last time i read, tsk

  4. #44
    Member agws1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North East Singapore
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Everyone seems to forget that you have 2 hands and that most people are capable of carrying 2 portions of lunch on the trays. Leaving one person to chope the seats as suggested actually works and makes a lot more sense than the tissue paper thing.
    I have seen gaggles of ladies (I am using the term loosely) throw down packs of tissue then queue together for the same food at the same stall too. Isn't that stupid? Reserve seats with tissue then all eat same food.
    What gets me riled up are people who upon finishing their food, even though they know that seats are limited, insist on chit chatting at the table oblivious to others hunting for seats around them. Bloody Idiots.

  5. #45

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that you have 2 hands and that most people are capable of carrying 2 portions of lunch on the trays. Leaving one person to chope the seats as suggested actually works and makes a lot more sense than the tissue paper thing.
    I have seen gaggles of ladies (I am using the term loosely) throw down packs of tissue then queue together for the same food at the same stall too. Isn't that stupid? Reserve seats with tissue then all eat same food.
    What gets me riled up are people who upon finishing their food, even though they know that seats are limited, insist on chit chatting at the table oblivious to others hunting for seats around them. Bloody Idiots.
    exactly... all the reasons to use to the silly way of reserving seats.

  6. #46

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that you have 2 hands and that most people are capable of carrying 2 portions of lunch on the trays. Leaving one person to chope the seats as suggested actually works and makes a lot more sense than the tissue paper thing.
    I have seen gaggles of ladies (I am using the term loosely) throw down packs of tissue then queue together for the same food at the same stall too. Isn't that stupid? Reserve seats with tissue then all eat same food.
    What gets me riled up are people who upon finishing their food, even though they know that seats are limited, insist on chit chatting at the table oblivious to others hunting for seats around them. Bloody Idiots.
    what to do? ladies are the main culprits really.

    so why are we complaining in a male dominated forum?

  7. #47
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    what to do? ladies are the main culprits really.

    so why are we complaining in a male dominated forum?
    Oi. Don't start sex war here.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  8. #48

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Oi. Don't start sex war here.
    can anyone deny that the majority of the culprits are women?

  9. #49
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    can anyone deny that the majority of the culprits are women?
    Discuss the issue with your wife to see if she support your view.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,881

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    No need another rule, putting tissue on the table and than leave is the same as littering can get fine liow.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Well, let's face it. We aren't a gracious society, yet. So let's stop pretend that the "inner graciousness" will somehow manifest itself with cute little campaigns.

    The only way to make this culture go away is to make it a law that, unless there's a person sitting at a hawker center table, ANY unattended items will be swept away by the hawker center cleaners. Heck, attach a fine as well to both the patron and the hawker center management if not complied to.

    Until then, we can continue suffer these daily indignities with a smile

  11. #51

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Discuss the issue with your wife to see if she support your view.
    she cannot deny it. i will take photos as proof! she is a culprit also. in fact, all the girls i know do it when they eat with me.

  12. #52
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    I have already discussed the legal aspects have already been discussed in the other thread. Taking a tissue packet is no more stealing than leaving a packet, littering.

    (
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    This Tissue issue will never end. We are living in a highly competitive society. Kiasuism had been inplanted into our mind for so long.

    BTW is taking those packet of tissue away an offence? Can it be considered stealling?

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i think the downtime when the seats are vacant is not enough for a group of people to buy their food, eat it and leave.
    One table may be not sufficient time to finish the food on time, but if it's a lot of tables and given the fluidity of coming and going, you can imagine the time & space saving compare to tissue chopping.
    Last edited by zcf; 8th October 2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  14. #54

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    One tablet may be not sufficient time to finish the food on time, but if it's a lot one tables and given the fluidity ofcoming and going, you can imagine the time & space saving compare to tissue chopping.
    if everyone is considerate, i guess it can work. most of the time people are rather selfish and will chit chat there after they finish eating.

  15. #55

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    isn't this custom only in the CBD area during weekdays?
    Unfortunately, no.

    It now extends all across the island at all times of the day or night, 7 days a week. To clarify - it does seem more prominent in some areas than others, but I was quite surprised to see it extending to various foodcourts across different shopping centers as well as heartland malls.

    The propagation of a custom starts with the acceptance of one little act that becomes two, then three...
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 8th October 2009 at 12:56 PM.

  16. #56
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    if everyone is considerate, i guess it can work. most of the time people are rather selfish and will chit chat there after they finish eating.
    i have no problem waiting for ppl to eat finish...and yes the worse is those chit chat type when is damn obvious the place is damn crowded.

    last time (many years back)...my friends and i were looking for a seat to eat our food. then this idiot open up his news paper cover the whole table to read.with no signs of food.got fed up. we all sit around the table and started conversing loudly abt today news must be so interesting that ppl don't give a damn of those standing around looking for seats....then the man folded his paper into half.then we start saying how difficult it is to find a nice place to enjoy such worldbreaking news...and the man gave up and finally leave...by then we also finish our food..

  17. #57
    Senior Member phoakm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    7,385

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    if everyone is considerate, i guess it can work. most of the time people are rather selfish and will chit chat there after they finish eating.
    Built more parks loh. Best have a picnic in the park during lunch hours like overseas.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    yes, it quite common but seems to be limited to the ladies.. guys usually divide and conquer and stagger to go buy food right. I've never seen guys chope tables with tissues.. I can understand if they use umbrellas but tissue is like claymore.. wrong move and die at their wrath.. (some ladies are a bitch during lunch, I don't know why)

    I think this mentality is MOST PROMINENT at the amoy and tanjong pagar/maxwell area? In chinatown or any of the other food outlets in the orchard area, it's not so common.

    I especially dislike it during the 12-1230hrs window when the crowd just sets in and you happy happy walk in, with crowds forming and there are plenty of empty tables but all "CHOPE" with tissue..

    There was one time 2 years back where the tissue packets sold in the CBD has the word CHOPE boldly printed on the back in bold red text! It took me a while to actually get it (cos everyone had they same packs and I was wonder how come so popular)

    So how's lunch everybody? I've shifted my lunch to past 2.. where there's not many "chao kuan" choping aunties around..
    Last edited by viix; 8th October 2009 at 12:38 PM.

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by Linnl71 View Post
    As you all have known, there has been a lot of debate about reserving seats with packets of tissues already.

    Anyway, I just want to share with you what I read quite awhile back. Bear in mind that I am not supporting the idea of using packets of tissue to reserve seats nor do I strongly detest it. What I read awhile back seems fairly logical to me and so my intentions are just to share with you guys, and I will try to summarize as much as I can too :P

    Usually the objective of reserving seats with packets of tissue is what? It is to allow all members of the group to be able to move out and get their food before finally settling down, eating together; less time consuming, in a sense.

    On the other hand, if 1 member (member A) of the group has to sit down to reserve the seat, member A would have to wait for the rest of them to come back to the table to be able to get his food. In addition, while he is out looking for this food, MAYBE the rest would wait for him to come back before starting to eat. Even so, wouldn't it be more time consuming as compared to substituting a person with a must "invaluable" item such as a packet of tissue to reserve a seat instead?

    I mean it does make sense to me. Of course you could argue that it is not right or it is kiasu etc. & I understand your point because sometimes I feel the same way too. Anyway, again, my objective is just to share with you all, not to start a debate.

    Cheers !
    Ask your dining kakis to help in ordering your lunch, that way, you don't waste extra time.

    If dining alone, and you've got no seats, why not take out and eat in the air-conditioned comfort of the office?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: A tissue packet too far

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I have already discussed the legal aspects have already been discussed in the other thread. Taking a tissue packet is no more stealing than leaving a packet, littering.

    (
    Sweeping it away as debris doesn't count as stealing. The onus is on the "owner" to actually identify that as his/her personal possession, and in doing so, already has opened himself up to the charge of littering, isn't it not?
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 8th October 2009 at 12:42 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •