Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why the need to upgrade to DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Not really, the sensors on the CCD only accept light, so it's a bit hard for either CCD of DCs or DSLRs to have a very big dynamic range like film. The light on the CCD are then processed further to achieve the colours you get, unlike film where the chemical reacts to the light to achieve the range of colours. (Saw a diagram and explanation of this off dpreview if I didn't remember wrongly) Thus the dynamic range on digital is still not that good I feel (personally) for both DC and DSLR.
    This is still one of my biggest personal gripes for digital, be it DCs or DSLRs. Due to the limited dynamic range of the CCD/CMOS sensor, one has to be very careful to avoid 'burnout' i.e. details which are irretrievably lost when parts of an image are overexposed. Especially so for white objects (e.g a bride's wedding gown under bright morning sunlight).

A DSLR is a complex machine that you will spend quite a fair bit of time to experiment and test. Need to understand all the settings e.g. white balance, tone and hue control etc etc .. but it does certainly educate you. Furthermore, you are the primary color lab, tweaking the photos in all aspect but deriving fun and satisfaction.

To meet, the film and digital platform is a world apart regarding workflows.

Quote Originally Posted by swimcraze
    really? i love the sound of manual and SLR camera......very shiok also!!!
    Well if you liek the sound of the mirror slapping, the DSLR isn't much far off. Perhaps you should just try youhand at one, think you'll fall in love with it. Prob is that its a tad heavy compared to your F90.

Though I'm not a DSLR user myself (no money!) nor have I used a SLR camera before, the 1 thing I really like about SLRs is the interchangable lens, allowing qutie some flexibility esp when you wanna shoot close-ups. The high zoom factor telephoto lens are quite a plus! I can't imagine myself trying to shoot birds in Sungei Buloh with my Canon A70...

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Well if you liek the sound of the mirror slapping, the DSLR isn't much far off. Perhaps you should just try youhand at one, think you'll fall in love with it. Prob is that its a tad heavy compared to your F90.
    the D100 as well as the eos300d are lighter than the F90.

sometimes u dont hsve to think to much. if then discomfort with the digicam lingers and doesnt go away despite rational tanalysis, then it simply means its time to try something new. its like the digicam indirecty talking to u to say: "let me rest for a while. try something else and maybe u will like it better. but remember i will always be around"

just save enough money and buy wat u always wanted for a long time

if it suits u, then good.

if not, then at least u learnt to know what you dont really like

its just like swimming. if i hadnt busted my knee, i would have remained as a nonswimmer till this day. i tried to rationalise that i could still run and run. but my knee was telling me indirectlythe same thing: "let me rest for a while..." but how else can i remain physically fit? just like how else can u remain as a happy photographer? so i made a 180 degrees change of decision and made myself go to the pool despite years of psychological struggles with water. then only i regret what i had missed for all these years of just running alone. now i relish freestyle...it changed my life completely.up to the point that i am now aiming for the half-ironman. of course, i didnt give up runnng completely. my knee, like your old digicam, though it wil never be as good as b4, has recovered much and now iam back to those good'ol 10km sunset runs.

the morale of the story is sometimes u just have to try it out or u will never know. nobodyelse's advise/description about dslr will ever completely satisfy your lingering doubts. only your dscision to take the plunge will give u the answer

Talking See here

Go to my website http://www.geocities.com/bramanteperkasa/ and download a small article (pdf) I wrote about why you should choose a digital SLR over a prosumer, or vice versa.

I migrated to DSLR for the short shutter lag, fast AF and ability to burst with the flash. Also like the low noise high ISO capability. But most important of all.... it's just hands itchy

Hi Clive,

Interesting puns you have made in your reply....makes it enjoyable to read yes yes.....always been a firm believer of 'never try and you will never find out' . Just this time around it will be a very expensive plunge here we are talking about $2-3k at least.

thanks for your words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by MrBram
    Go to my website http://www.geocities.com/bramanteperkasa/ and download a small article (pdf) I wrote about why you should choose a digital SLR over a prosumer, or vice versa.
    Mr Bram,

Terima Kasih ~ for your interesting article. Enjoyed the different angles you have provided in your discussion plus photos as demo. Appreciate your in depth sharing and conclusion

Do share more of your articles with us!

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    But most important of all.... it's just hands itchy

i feel the itch too.....sigh....but trying not to scratch it ....

Deregistered

swimcraze, wanna try run the D100 ? Or S2 Pro?

i feel the itch too.....sigh....but trying not to scratch it ....
    it's important that you don't bleed financially to "cure" the itch.... for me I didn't have to spend much for the initial outlay after taking into account stuff that I'm willing to sell away. What I didn't plan for was the additional outlay

for me i upgrade becos:

less focus lag
    less noise at high iso
    the shutter sound is DAMN SHIOK...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    swimcraze, wanna try run the D100 ? Or S2 Pro?
    hmm

you go lobang ah????

I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, as the saying always goes "the grass is greener over the other side".
    We are only human.

hmm

you go lobang ah????

I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This guy is an evil man..dun listen to him...he will corrupt u one...

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    always luring pple to the dark side... mauahah

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    always luring pple to the dark side... mauahah
    I'll contact my lawyer and sue you both for obstruction of espn's lure to the DARK SIDE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12