Thread: Do we need F2.8 for wide angle lens? Or F4 will do

Smile Do we need F2.8 for wide angle lens? Or F4 will do

I am thinking of buying wide angle lens like Tokina AT-X11-16 or Nikon 12-24... but do i really need a F2.8 for wide angle shot? Or just F4 wide angle lens will do?

Any inputs from the experts? Thanks in advance

Default Re: Do we need F2.8 for wide angle lens? Or F4 will do

i'm a f/4 wide angle user with no experience on f/2.8 wide angle. but i suppose you probably cannot achieve much aesthetic difference in shallower depth of field at fairly distant subject as the DOF in both are quite wide, but you may see some difference if you have a lens with a closer minimal focusing distance and if you shoot in a way that produces components in the frame distant from the zone of sharpness. as for shutter speed. generally f/4 is sufficient for me to capture most scenes in sharpness due to its wide depth of field and less prone to handshake. a larger aperture however would be useful if you shoot handheld in darker environment, e.g night market or after dusk. as for optical quality, some of these f/2.8 is really better but probably becos the lens is indeed better (and more expensive of cos). so if you can handle the price, and the weight, why not?

ps. nikon 12-24mm is a f/4 (DX somemore) but constant aperture. 14-24 is f/2.8 though. and tokina 11-16mm is not really that more expensive than the others, rite? i personally will wait until my sigma 10-20mm dies and then replace it with tokina 11-16mm one day, unless i ever change to FX (if it becomes cheap enough).

ps2. can you pm the moderator to move your thread to "General, Reviews, Tech Talk". there is no gallery, and there is no subject relevant to travel or landscape.
    Last edited by zoossh; 7th October 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Have you found yourself using f2.8 at other focal lengths?

If you feel it is something that you would miss at your other focal lengths, then there is a good chance that you will feel the same with an ultrawide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Have you found yourself using f2.8 at other focal lengths?

If you feel it is something that you would miss at your other focal lengths, then there is a good chance that you will feel the same with an ultrawide.
    Wow Jed. It has been almost 2 years since you last posted. Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Wow Jed. It has been almost 2 years since you last posted. Welcome back.
    Meh heya Zippy. Theoretically it's been a few minutes since I posted the post before that :P

Having planned a trip back to Sg for November, I feel I can indulge on here again rather than trying to blot out all trace of Singapore lest I get homesick. CS gathering in Nov? ^.^

lol indoor events! enuff said but usually ppl get 2.8 for slightly more light and not really the dof..

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Meh heya Zippy. Theoretically it's been a few minutes since I posted the post before that :P

Having planned a trip back to Sg for November, I feel I can indulge on here again rather than trying to blot out all trace of Singapore lest I get homesick. CS gathering in Nov? ^.^
    Haha, you organize? But I might not be around for it even if you're doing one, I'm now travelling most of the time due to my new job.

P/S: apologies to the TS for OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan-fernvale View Post
    I am thinking of buying wide angle lens like Tokina AT-X11-16 or Nikon 12-24... but do i really need a F2.8 for wide angle shot? Or just F4 wide angle lens will do?

Any inputs from the experts? Thanks in advance
    What will u be using it for? If landscapes/cityscapes, any will do, even non-constant aperture ones. If for indoors, the f/4 one will suffice for UWAs. Unless u shoot at lower lightings more often, then f/2.8 will be better. But if lighting's very low, even f/2.8's useless.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    What will u be using it for? If landscapes/cityscapes, any will do, even non-constant aperture ones. If for indoors, the f/4 one will suffice for UWAs. Unless u shoot at lower lightings more often, then f/2.8 will be better. But if lighting's very low, even f/2.8's useless.
    If really shoot at those low lighting... tri-pod would be more advisable as trying to go big in F will not get what you want to achieve when shooting landscape.... ie. everything in focus..

For me... shooting landscape, I think wide angle F4 with tripod (a steady and firm one) is more important....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

well i had a d60 and tokina 11-16 f2.8. i was in an italian opera house but it was close to pitch black, and tripods were not allowed. i snapped, handheld, at 2.8 and 1600 iso, the pic was very usable. so i won't say 2.8 is "useless" even if lighting is "very low". like i said, it was close to pitch black.
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    If really shoot at those low lighting... tri-pod would be more advisable as trying to go big in F will not get what you want to achieve when shooting landscape.... ie. everything in focus..

For me... shooting landscape, I think wide angle F4 with tripod (a steady and firm one) is more important....
    Tripod is ideal but not all conditions are. Imagine u're shooting an event and setting up tripod?? U're better off using flash and handholding it.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemics View Post
    well i had a d60 and tokina 11-16 f2.8. i was in an italian opera house but it was close to pitch black, and tripods were not allowed. i snapped, handheld, at 2.8 and 1600 iso, the pic was very usable. so i won't say 2.8 is "useless" even if lighting is "very low". like i said, it was close to pitch black.
    It's only more useful in these conditions, else no need for f/2.8 on a UWA.

Tripod is ideal but not all conditions are. Imagine u're shooting an event and setting up tripod?? U're better off using flash and handholding it.
    Agree.... I think TS did not mention type of shoot he will be doing also.....

If doing event, F4 with flash can survive too.... I have done it before.... but not on UWA.... a normal zoom...
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

I personally use f2.8 for wide angles especially for PJ work. It is very useful when shooting in cities at dusk.
    But don't get a f2.8 lens if you don't NEED it. Just because other people have f2.8 wide angles, it doesn't mean you need it. It really depends on what you shoot.

Hence why, all the way back in post 3, I asked the poster if he or she would miss not having 2.8 on other focal lengths. He or she knows what they usually shoot and their style, and can answer that question.

Thanks for all the valuable inputs. I guess i will aim for F4 wide angle lens in case of F2.8 as i prefer landscape.

Again.. appreciate for all the advise, guys!

IMO, having the 'f2.8' is like a 'secure' feeling of having the 'ability' to shoot at f2.8, though most of the time might not need it.

IMO again, after some experienced, I realized aperture is not the sole deciding factor for UWA. A wider aperture lens / constant aperture lens may not be sharp enough at all f stop (poor MTF chart result). Other issue such as distortion and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    Agree.... I think TS did not mention type of shoot he will be doing also.....

If doing event, F4 with flash can survive too.... I have done it before.... but not on UWA.... a normal zoom...
    I've done it on my ex 70-200 f/4 non-IS, piece of cake. Even with my Sigma 70-300 with flash, it's pretty easy too.