Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for buying a diamond ring?

Default Re: Any tips for buying a diamond ring?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    for those who think you can get away with it

get a smaller sized cubic zirconia, beware that it will be super bling bling, but alot cheaper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia

the untrained eye will only see that it is too good to be true
    And this is how the word conflict diamonds came about. when the missus finds out it's not real, there will be blood.

Talking Re: Any tips for buying a diamond ring?

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    how sad..that is the reality..these are useless carbons......or i shld say overpriced carbons.........
    Hummm…..

My Eyes was attracted by these beautiful carbons and end up got BBB virus.

Now a days my Eyes get attracted by another kind of Gem!

Lens Optic!

So end up still got BBB virus!
    Under ©onstruction!

Think I was lucky. My wife (then gf) was actually upset that I had to downgrade my HP to buy her a bigger diamond ring. Wanted me to get a smaller one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    don't know leh...some woman really amazing...they can see the diamond not so good one..even if buy the largest..and some wants the brand...so technically it is 4Cs +1 B(Brand)

i have seen some of my friends...their bloody proposal ring can use to renovate a 4room HDB.all these RPA(Rich Ppl Association) damn fierce

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Think I was lucky. My wife (then gf) was actually upset that I had to downgrade my HP to buy her a bigger diamond ring. Wanted me to get a smaller one instead.

lucky? very man...hahaha....like e chinese saying..one kind of rice feed many kind of ppl...haha some don't know how hard the man works to support or have the wedding...of course there are ppl born with silver spoon and those cannot compare... this thread now becomes e little man talks..

Quote Originally Posted by guanlim View Post
    Don't bother buying from "branded" retailers if you want the most sparks for your bucks.

Why pay extra for similar quality when you are in fact paying for their rentals, staff salaries, A&P. Tiffany, Larry's, Cartier won't pay for prime locations in Orchard Road if consumers are not willing to pay a lot extra for that blue packaging.

Similarly, local retailers like Soo Kee, Lee Hwa and what not adapt a similar pricing strategy.

Learned this the hard way. Bought a Brilliant Rose from Soo Kee last year without doing much research. Realized later that similar specs stone when bought direct from dealers, with GIA certs, cost a lot less.

My $0.02

Cartier's red packaging, Tiffany's blue, cheers!

What HP you used then? That verte type which cost 10k+? amazed it can be used to fund purchase of a diamond ring!

Quote Originally Posted by yao86 View Post
    I have spend a lot of money on Precious Stone but end up no value…..

Pay a Natural Alexandrite for S$5000++ but when I wanna to sell back to shops, the best price is only S$2200 plus Gold ring together.

Ha ha….
    ouch. < 50%
    was it due to poor economy / bad timing or it is simply no value for resale?

Not the entire cost of the HP goes to a diamond ring. Was using a 8850 Gold, which I sold for about S$1k without line. With 1k more I could get a 0.7ct instead of 0.5ct.

And no, I wasn't born with a silver spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    What HP you used then? That verte type which cost 10k+? amazed it can be used to fund purchase of a diamond ring!

getting a diamond ring is a very important item and sure is once in a lifetime...

better to get one that one can afford comfortably and not get too small a one to only need to spend more to upgrade later...

(similar to lens buying... better to get a good one then to get one just because it is cheap)...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

Not the entire cost of the HP goes to a diamond ring. Was using a 8850 Gold, which I sold for about S$1k without line. With 1k more I could get a 0.7ct instead of 0.5ct.

And no, I wasn't born with a silver spoon.
    erm, difference between 0.7 and 0.5 only 1k ah?

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    Your Best Friend's a photog too ? If so, there is only 1 golden rule.

Make sure the cost of the stone is > than the most expensive lense/body in his dry cabinet.

With this rule observed, there shouldn't
    be a problem getting another lense in the future.

You can try to go to the local diamond factory to select your stone, and choose the setting. Its located at Lower Delta. GIA cert included. Or the EU version, can't remember. Tell them the budget, they can offer advice. A buddy did that. I find it more unique and personalised than off the shelf Lee Hwa and the likes
    haha... maybe I should show my wife this thread so that I can get a few more lens...

Great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    try bluenile.com

they educates their customers well too
    Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    After reading all the tips at www.proposalring.com and 300 pages long thread at http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1434486

I finally ordered mine from www.jamesallen.com

You can get better quality stuff at better price when purchase online. After that, just bring the stone to jewelery shop in singapore to do the setting. Do take note of the serial number engraved on the stone, just in case the shop mix up with other stones after the setting.
    I used to be tempted to get from online for the proposal ring - it is really good value with well recieved customer reviews from these stores mentioned. In the end since it was my first stone purchase, I decided to get it from one of the local diamond importers still much cheaper than the brick and motar shops.. ( the kopi and tea they serve u all adds up! )

Anyhow I will be looking at bluenile for birthday options nxt !

Ryan

don't
    expensive to buy.
    no value retention.

Talking Re: Any tips for buying a diamond ring?

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    ouch. < 50%
    was it due to poor economy / bad timing or it is simply no value for resale?
    A Precious Stone include Diamond do have value but it depend on the Size and Quality of the Gem. Like me, I love Precious Stone but I don’t have enough money to buy a big and good Gem. So I did not think of keeping a Gem for investment. I bought it because I love it so much.

The Gem Value is depend of different kind of stones have different kind of expectation. For Clear Diamonds (not colour) that are more than 1ct and Good Quality than got price value when you sell it due to the rareness in the market.

One thing I wanna to speak out is in fact there are a lot of Diamonds that are mine out from the Mother Earth but the Father of the Diamonds control and keep more amount than the amount of the diamonds that are selling on the world diamonds market. So that the Diamonds are so rare in the world and it means more value!

This is call Demand!
    Last edited by yao86; 13th October 2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Under ©onstruction!

Thereabout, for the 2 rings I was looking at back then. The color and clarity of the 0.7 wasn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    erm, difference between 0.7 and 0.5 only 1k ah?

Really feel sorry to my gf after looking at this thread

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    Really feel sorry to my gf after looking at this thread
    oh... what did you get for her?

Wow.. good info thread, since I'm hunting as well.

Anyway to the TS, look around bluenile or for rapaport. These should give you some indication as to the prices of diamonds. Anyway there are a couple of si fus on the HardwareZone forum. Think it's a good place to get estimation on the prices for various cuts, colours etc....

And while I'm at it, don't bother with the red or blue boxes... waste $$.. haiz.
    Nikon D700,50mm f1.8, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300 f4-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    oh... what did you get for her?
    one that needs a macro lens to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Wai View Post
    After reading all the tips at www.proposalring.com and 300 pages long thread at http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1434486

I finally ordered mine from www.jamesallen.com

You can get better quality stuff at better price when purchase online. After that, just bring the stone to jewelery shop in singapore to do the setting. Do take note of the serial number engraved on the stone, just in case the shop mix up with other stones after the setting.
    Congrats on your purchase. I brought mine to a local appraiser and everything just as the cert given by them.

But i realized girls only look at 1 C and don't really understand the rest of the C. So maybe can concentrate on the carats only.
    Nikon D90 | Nikon 18-200mm | Nikon 50mm F1.4 | SB-800
    Flickr

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast