Thread: She's the wind

Default She's the wind

I took a shot of my girl when she was playing at East Coast Park, ard Sunset. She seemed to be enjoying herself in the wind.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Proportionality of object vs background in this photo, exposure

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This is meant to be a candid shot to capture the innocence of my girl.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Sunset. Flash - slow sync with Fujifilm F50d. F2.8, 1/480.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    (+)I like her expression - innocence & happiness. Seemed to be enjoying herself in the wind.
    (-)It seemed that the camera focus may be on her left ear
    (-)The sticker on her blouse is distracting.

Default Re: She's the wind

the composition works better if the girl was more towards the right, try applying the rules of third

Exposure looks okay, considering you used flash from the camera.

Candid, yes. Enjoying herself in the wind, not really. To me, it looks like you caught her while she was half blinking, or half asleep.
    Try to pull back just a little bit and capture a little more of her body as well because going way too close to her head, makes it look huge.

In composition, her head has become the main subject here, which might be a little too much attention to your girl. As suggested, move back a little more, capture what she's doing. Perhaps her hands are also showing us that she's enjoying the wind?

Definitely apply rule of third, or the focus would completely throw us off, not giving us room to breathe in the picture.

Well, even if it's distracting, i personally wouldn't remove the sticker, because that wouldn't make the shot candid anymore. Speaking from a more... photojournalistic feel, candids usually mean not tampering with the scene. So i think you don't really have to worry about that

Bottom line is, if you liked it, and your kid likes it, that's what matters at the end of the day

crop (either camera or PP) is a bit too tight, best to slightly more sky.
    the model hair is not long enough so cant really see the wind, so may be add extra like baloon or ribbon etc which will show more wind flowing

Rule of 3rd, there is too much room behind her
    Last edited by aryanto; 19th October 2009 at 07:44 PM.

I think you should show a bit more of the sea. Probably with her near the railings, just before the sea. That way, the significance of a strong wind would be more obvious. I agree with aryanto regarding the part on adding something extra, probably a scarf or a small red ribbon. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!