Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography for wedding tips?

Default Re: Photography for wedding tips?

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Not all things are about equipment.

5. If there is an actual photographer hired, he has the priority. I've seen photographers complain out-right to couples about having "More than one camera". They've got a job to do and you don't want to be embarassed.
    I cannot agree more than this, always shadow the main photographer (paid) since they are paid to deliver quality pics. I have seen 'backup' photographer trying to be smart and stand on the opposite side to get avoid the main photographer blocking him taking shots. In the end, both photographers has picture of the other photographer inside. If you notice, professional videographer and photographer always stands together and never on the opposite side of the fence.
    VINGEARS.COM B+W Filters & Voigtlanders Lens

Agreed with catchlights and synapseman.

You might not like their comments, but they gave the best advice so far.

But now that you read this thread and the responses, and got informed that this is not for someone with no idea about wedding photography, you probably now have a responsibility to first advise your friend to hire a pro. If she ignore your advice you can go ahead if you still wants to shoot, but manage expectations. Tell her she should not expect you to produce nice photos, or any photos (do you have a backup camera in case your one spoilt that day, got stolen, etc).

If you do not manage expectation, you might end up working very hard, spending money out of your own pockets, doing a good deed, end up with bad results and get blamed for it.

But as the threadstarter did not say what kind of couples, so its not fair to say her friend not nice, because not every couple values wedding photography or have the 4 figure budget for it, some are just middle aged folks going thru their second marriage, or some face family objections, some have serious financial issues but still getting married, some don't even get a wedding gown, these couples made it a very quiet low key affair, thus its understandable why they also do not want a pro photographer too.

But if these are normal wedding of working class young people, they should not skimp on such an important day of their lives. If they are spending several thousands on the gown, 5 figures on the location, etc, photography is not the place to save money.

All the best,
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

OK Bro everyone has their first time.
    Even a Pro has their first time too; Every time is a lesson

I make point notes lah

1. You the man in charge so dun be paisei to ask the Bride and Groom to pose,
    2. Anticipate the wedding as you the one getting married dun be paisei (shy)
    3. Shoot with Aperture Priority best take F8 and use Flash with TTL.
    4. Before the Shoot eat first; because you got no time to rest ; act like a Ninja
    5. When do the composition of the photo dun think of cropping later with your computer
    because it will ruin your hard copies print out.
    6. Dun get nervous and get a good rest
    7. When everything finish time to print out go to http://www.snapfish.com.sg to select what type of print out you want. Great Service.
    8. For canvas print you can check out http://www.brilliantprint.com.sg. Great Service too.

Best of Luck!

Don't need to shoot in F8 all the time.

Eat as much as possible when possible

Quote Originally Posted by xMetalx View Post
    Sorry mate, IMHO if there's a hired pro around, I find it best to be as invisible as possible. The not-paiseh type of secondary photographers are amongst the most irritating around. Even as main photographer, too much of posing on AD is very disruptive and makes the whole event feel quite contrived (although there will be points in time where you must direct the shot).

Well, it's a matter of opinion. Some photographers like to pose everyone and everything. NG here NG there, repeat one more time, please...etc. For some others, it's a big no-no.
    Last edited by synapseman; 11th October 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I make point notes lah

2. Anticipate the wedding as you the one getting married dun be paisei (shy)
    3. Shoot with Aperture Priority best take F8 and use Flash with TTL.
    4. Before the Shoot eat first; because you got no time to rest ; act like a Ninja
    5. When do the composition of the photo dun think of cropping later with your computer
    because it will ruin your hard copies print out.
    6. Dun get nervous and get a good rest
    7. When everything finish time to print out go to http://www.snapfish.com.sg to select what type of print out you want. Great Service.
    8. For canvas print you can check out http://www.brilliantprint.com.sg. Great Service too.

Best of Luck!
    I don't know how many weddings you shot but i've to disagree with some things.

Especially the f8 aperture priority part. Unless you are whacking high ISO i have not idea how most the shots are going to be acceptably decent looking with little ambient light and slow shutter speeds.

Furthermore there is plenty of time to eat and rest. On the car to various locations, house 1 buffet, house 2 buffet, unlimited free drinks. Just shoot what you need to shoot and take a break (of course this might be personal opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Don't need to shoot in F8 all the time.

Eat as much as possible when possible
    And yes bro, we missed the abalone last saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Sorry mate, IMHO if there's a hired pro around, I find it best to be as invisible as possible. The not-paiseh type of secondary photographers are amongst the most irritating around. Even as main photographer, too much of posing on AD is very disruptive and makes the whole event feel quite contrived (although there will be points in time where you must direct the shot).

Well, it's a matter of opinion. Some photographers like to pose everyone and everything. NG here NG there, repeat one more time, please...etc. For some others, it's a big no-no.
    I've seen first-photographers (experienced) redo up to 4 times. I guess if they let the client know that that's their "style" prior it's not a huge problem.

Though couples end up frantic during weddings and they are going to feel uncomfortable if you do this anyway, not recommended. Rmb, many people are fast and furious during everyday work already, they are going to be more fast more furious during their actual days.

first times can be painful experiences, especially if it's a paid assignment and you screw it up...
    eat. drink. shoot

when pro shoot his/her first wedding, he/she already is a compentant photographer to handle any situation.

when they charge for a first assignment, he/she already shot many similar shoot before.

people hire a pro is to solve their problems, fulfill their needs and deliver results, not to let pro take them as guinea pigs.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

This book is easy to read and provides good insight on which lenses to use and for what type of circumstances or situations. It has a wide coverage on what to shoot in wedding, technical and composition. The equipment suggested are one wide angle zoom , one mid zoom and a telephoto zoom and a prime (50 mm ) and gave alot of examples on the applications on the 3 lenses. The book title is "Digital Wedding Photography - capturing Beautiful Memories" by Glen Johnson. Price is about $45. You need to know your own equipment well, else read the manual. Hope you can absorb as much as possible from this book and produced good pictures. Seriously you should advise your friend to engage pro unless she is in financial difficulty.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 13th October 2009 at 12:40 AM.

To TS, I've got a wedding coming up this weekend.
    Drop me a pm if u want to have some AD experience.

Cheers~
    http://thepeepingthom.com/ :: pre-weddings :: portraits ::

Quote Originally Posted by rejoyce View Post
    wow.. oki... thanks for all the "advises" - sarcastic or not. im new in photography. took up lesson b4.. but i guess i just lack the confidence. never done a wedding b4. so i thought trying asking for advices for maybe equipment to bring. a normal zoom lens and WA and prime all bring different effects so thought mayb can ask which are the usual used. though i dun think my fren would have fault me or ruining her wedding but as her fren, she asked me for help and i agreed... so i dun think anyone wld want to do a bad job rite?

i tried searching for weddings but i didnt c any, maybe i have missed them.
    anyway, thanks all.
    I think a 17-55mm range is good for wedding. Seriously speaking, I have yet to witness a photog changing lenses during a wedding. Therefore either you bring more bodies or use a zoom lens.

Some of the advises here may not sound as nice (which is why u think it is sarcastic) but in fact, they are very, very true. There is no point in putting a big stone on your shoulders. Just relax and shoot whatever you see. Run through the itinerary and mark out those important events. Right now, if I were you, I would find out how to shoot creatively and how to shoot well in low light conditions (eg, indoor events, wedding dinner).
    D200

if this man can deliver a baby based on tips from youtube and the net, u can definitely take weddin shoots for ur friend.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...10-172840.html
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Quote Originally Posted by rejoyce View Post
    hi, just arrowed by a fren to help in her wedding for photography.

since i have not done a wedding b4, is there any kind souls out there who will help me out by telling me wat are the things to take note. wat are the kind of lens good to bring? normal or WA or prime? dun want to 'ruin' her wedding...

the wedding will take place in a hotel ballroom so flash is definitely needed... any tips?
    http://digital-photography-school.com/weddingbeginners
    hope this link can helps abit...
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    if this man can deliver a baby based on tips from youtube and the net, u can definitely take weddin shoots for ur friend.

Haha! Well then, I totally stand corrected!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Fantastic analogy but i think photography is more than that.

Think about it this way, when the top wedding photo pros shot their first wedding, many were still "amateurs" but knew their stuff in the first place.

If you know your gear in and out, how to expose correctly in any circumstance, and know how to cross-refer various conditions for the best settings to counter photographic problems, then shooting a wedding is like doing any other event.

However if you are still a "learning amateur" or "newbie" who i still struggling with how your camera functions and don't know things like E-TTL/D-TTL flash inside out, then shooting wedding is going to be a problem on-top of a problem.

There are tons of books in the NLB about wedding photography.

An uncomplicated delivery is actually waay simpler than shooting a wedding.

WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

they paid n hired, if the result is not good,i think they should hv the right to purse the issue.

in a delivery, u nvr know if it will be smooth.
    anything can happen.

jus enjoy the event.
    but make known to ur friend tat this is ur 1st time and do ur best.
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Carry along a P&S camera if you are the only photographer.

Otherwise, just play with your luck. Shoot at least 3 shots at one pic and pick the best one. As said earlier, use auto and P mode with a proper flash. Your kit lens should do the job.

Associate taking pic with telling a story. U have the introduction, the body and the conclusion.

If you have time, read what ppl do and look at what ppl take!

Charge the battery and get new set of batteries for your flash.

Have enough sleep and eat well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast