Thread: Bugis Street Pics from a newbie

Talking Bugis Street Pics from a newbie

Took some pics in bugis last saturday, just a newbie in photography please help me by giving me comments, positive/negative comments welcomed. All pictures taken with my Canon v3 and abit of PSing.

Thanks for viewing

hi, thx for sharing!

1st pic - excellent still life, looks like photo-art, interesting subject matter, great composition and colours.
    2nd pic - very good, i like the colours and feel of the shot.
    3rd and 4th pic - less interesting subject matter (to me), but nice shots nevertheless.

The last photo of the mailbox with the motion blur background is excellent! Gives me the impression of something safe, unchanging about the mailbox. Reminds me of home...

BTW, how do you get the motion blur effect? me noob want to learn

Is this what they call the lomo effect?
    How did you do it? Just fiddle around with the contrast and things like that?

keep going. u got the "street" "sense"

Thanks for the comments guys, glad u all liked it

actually i find the top right part of the 3rd pic abit distracting even after i did some blurring

longshot - this is how i did it, i use the lasso tool to select the lettbox and then select the inverse, which is all the area outside the lettbox, then i used the filter Radial Blur (Zoom Effect).

phrozact - i didnt use the contrast, i adjusted the curves instead, try to make it into a S shape, read it from a magazine that it can change the mood of a picture and i find it quite true.

more comments pls, want to learn more from the pros

Just a noob with a v3
    Last edited by sym18; 13th January 2004 at 09:00 PM.

How to use lasso tool effectively?

I have a shot of a duck and wanted to blur/radial blur the background completely but using lasso tool, it seems that there is an very obvious editing done to the picture. What i wanted is that only the duck is selected but the background isn't selected. How to use Lasso tool effectively?
    Last edited by arikevin; 13th January 2004 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arikevin
    How to use lasso tool effectively?

I have a shot of a duck and wanted to blur/radial blur the background completely but using lasso tool, it seems that there is an very obvious editing done to the picture. What i wanted is that only the duck is selected but the background isn't selected. How to use Lasso tool effectively?
    Just use the normal lasso tool, and set the set the Feather to 3 px. Then trace the duck out carefully. The feathering should let the selected part merge into the rest to hide the "changes done" that's what i did, u can change the feather value if need to.

Quote Originally Posted by sym18
    Just use the normal lasso tool, and set the set the Feather to 3 px. Then trace the duck out carefully. The feathering should let the selected part merge into the rest to hide the "changes done" that's what i did, u can change the feather value if need to.
    I thought u should use the magnetic lasso tool?

both also can depends on what you are more used to, sometimes i find the magnetic lasso hard to control, that's y use normal lasso slowly lasso

Quote Originally Posted by sym18
    both also can depends on what you are more used to, sometimes i find the magnetic lasso hard to control, that's y use normal lasso slowly lasso
    Nice pics.
    Those pics does let me feel some "life" in there.
    Cool.Hope i can take nice photos like these.I'm a newbie too.

Hey sym18,

you have an eye for photography! From the shots i see, you know artistic, creative and know how to capture angle, but with more exposure to more photos, and knowledge, i believe you can take really nice photos. Do take your time to learn more, see more photos and go back to the place again, i believe you can come out with pictures much better! Hope that next time, you can use a SLR and take real beautiful shots without any PS flavoring. Too much PS is not always good.

In a nutshell, a really good start for you! Keep it up dude!

Nice pics
    personally like the first shot and last shot.
    Last shot though simple but with the radial PSing done, somehow it gives me a different feeling as if i am rushing for the post letter box!
    YEAH another v3 user well done
    Keep shooting
    10-20,18-70,18-200,50,80-200,70-300