View Poll Results: Sigma EF-530 DG Super or Pentax AF-540FGZ

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sigma EF-530 DG Super

    7 38.89%
  • Pentax AF-540FGZ

    11 61.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Choosing Between different flash brands

  1. #1
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Choosing Between different flash brands

    I am stuck between the Pentax AF540FGZ and the Sigma EF-530 DG Super. Which one will you go for and why?

    Thanks all.
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 3rd October 2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  2. #2

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    I'd considering these 2 as well. BTW, what is the price of the Sigma? I was quoted $400+ at OP. Thats too near AF-540. Not real price??

  3. #3
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I'd considering these 2 as well. BTW, what is the price of the Sigma? I was quoted $400+ at OP. Thats too near AF-540. Not real price??
    Sigma $430
    Pentax $490

    both from MS color
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  4. #4

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Planning to buy one also, cannot tahan my Achiever flash anymore, I suspect the 30 year old photo diode is... not as consistent as it used to be.
    Is the Sigma significantly worse than the Pentax?



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast Road
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands



    The one above taken with Sigma flash 530 DG Super ... without diffusion ...

    I feel more stable with Sigma ....

  6. #6
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by P3ntx View Post


    The one above taken with Sigma flash 530 DG Super ... without diffusion ...

    I feel more stable with Sigma ....
    Bro,

    Thanks for posting a shot as sample for me to view.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    for the money i dun like the AF540... but there is nothing better from pentax... sigma is a good alternative... if given a choice, i choose not to have any flash...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  8. #8

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    i think i will choose Sigma due to its price, i will be going to do test next week.

  9. #9
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    The Pentax AF540FGZ has come down in price quite a lot from the past, so that makes it quite attractive price wise compared to the Sigma.
    If I were to choose, hands down I'd choose the Pentax. Personally I still feel flash guns in general are overpriced.

  10. #10
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    I love the price of the Pentax 540 currently as it has gone down to almost the same price as the Sigma. The only problem is that there are no stocks in SG as there is a shipment delay and stocks will only come in 3rd week or last week of Oct 2009.

    Now the dilema, I need to use the flash for an event on the 3rd of Nov 2009. IF stock does not come in by 3rd week, looks like I will go for the Sigma although my 1st choice is the Pentax . . .

    Need time to famililiarise myself with the flash right? At least 1 week before . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    wherever i lay my hat...
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    I went with the Sigma 530 due to my budget at the time, back when the Pentax 540 was still in excess of $500+.

    Also as much as I wanted to get the Pentax flash, I've read a fair amount of posts from users about the broken pin issue. No sure if it's still happening now.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    I love the price of the Pentax 540 currently as it has gone down to almost the same price as the Sigma. The only problem is that there are no stocks in SG as there is a shipment delay and stocks will only come in 3rd week or last week of Oct 2009.

    Now the dilema, I need to use the flash for an event on the 3rd of Nov 2009. IF stock does not come in by 3rd week, looks like I will go for the Sigma although my 1st choice is the Pentax . . .

    Need time to famililiarise myself with the flash right? At least 1 week before . . .
    Well. Can always borrow from a member here first. Always buy stuff you like. Otherwise you will always be regretting and asking why you can't get the pentax later.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  13. #13

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Going to do backup photographer at my sister-in-laws wedding in 3 weeks time, still worried the old flash will not be good enough. The external flashes cost more than I'm really willing to pay though, considering my usage pattern. Guess I'll sit around B&S to snipe any good flash deals otherwise stick with the old flash.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast Road
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Is is better to go for what u like, If I could , should have go the the Metz Best...

    Flash photography is not easy....will take some time to get used to it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    for the money i dun like the AF540... but there is nothing better from pentax... sigma is a good alternative... if given a choice, i choose not to have any flash...
    Which did you choose?
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Which did you choose?
    i choose not to use any flash when using pentax...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  17. #17

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    flowerpot went for the 540 lah, although he sold it already ...

    Given the current price of 540, I'd go for it anytime. It's just 60 dollars difference, what's the point buying a third party one while you spent 4xx for a flash? When 540 was priced at 6xx, I can understand why some guys went for the much cheaper Sigma. But now I just don't understand why you'd consider the Sigma at all.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    to be honest, i will get the AF540 if im in the same situation since the price has come down... but since i dun shoot events with pentax, i sold mine...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

  19. #19
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    flowerpot went for the 540 lah, although he sold it already ...

    Given the current price of 540, I'd go for it anytime. It's just 60 dollars difference, what's the point buying a third party one while you spent 4xx for a flash? When 540 was priced at 6xx, I can understand why some guys went for the much cheaper Sigma. But now I just don't understand why you'd consider the Sigma at all.
    No stock and I need the flash before the 1st of Nov 2009 for a school event . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still wondering where I belong
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Choosing Between different flash brands

    OP no more ? i always see 1 AF540 there...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •