Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get this effect?

Default Re: How to get this effect?

if you use the blur tool manually a bit round the edges of the background flower, maybe at 15%, 15% flow, you might get a closer effect to the soft focus. Also, while youre doing PP, might want to play with the curve a bit, seems a tad dark-- esp with a white flower, using high-key lighting (or the PP equivalent) might work better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-key_lighting

hope it helps

thanks aprilmoon92 and jekyll69, will try your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tjana View Post
    no lah, i don't think it's the camera or lens. well, firstly it's quite obvious her framing is better than mine. what i'm not certain about is if the softness is from camera shake or from wide open aperture or both, or PP. i think there is some PP involved, as i saw her other pictures and they certainly don't have that same softness.
    It probably is the camera as well as the lens. I assume you have a kit lens. Not sure why you stopped down to f5.6. The narrow depth of field can be achieved easily with a fast lens stopped down to f2.8. A full frame camera like the 5D and D700 will also display narrower depth of field at the same f-stop compared to your 40D.

Quote Originally Posted by linse View Post
    It probably is the camera as well as the lens. I assume you have a kit lens. Not sure why you stopped down to f5.6. The narrow depth of field can be achieved easily with a fast lens stopped down to f2.8. A full frame camera like the 5D and D700 will also display narrower depth of field at the same f-stop compared to your 40D.
    you caught me there. i was using 17-55mm/f2.8 so there was no excuse. all i can say is mine was not a very well considered approach, more a snapshot than anything else... now, if anyone have a spare bouquet of calla lilies just let me know, k? would love to try it again with f2.8 aperture...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12