Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: How to get this effect?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default How to get this effect?

    my sis got married recently, and one of the pics the photographer took looked like this



    i like the look of it and hoping to be able to reproduce it but have minimal experience with photoshopping (or any other PP for that matter). could someone please give some hints?

  2. #2
    Member kenkht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    sorry but I don't get it. What so special about this pic

  3. #3
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjana View Post
    my sis got married recently, and one of the pics the photographer took looked like this

    i like the look of it and hoping to be able to reproduce it but have minimal experience with photoshopping (or any other PP for that matter). could someone please give some hints?
    If it's the background being out of focus then suggest you Google "bokeh". This is more likely a result of a large aperture.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    I believe the effect you are referring to is the depth of field. Depth of field has nothing to do with any Photoshop but rather the camera's aperture.

    However, the depth of field effect can also be achieved using Photoshop. But, it won't be that realistic. Here's a link to the DOF tutorial --http://www.phototos...f-field/

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,436

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    looks like a soft filter (i may be wrong). Traditionally, a filter is being put ontop of the lens. Right now, Photoshop shld have some inbuilt filters or some plug ins shld be able to do the job.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Looks like bokeh plus soft focus effect....

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    waiaung.deviantart.com
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Its best achieved with lens.

    But you can also create an effect like that one with Adobe Photoshop.
    The technique is called "Soft Focus" effect.

    1. Open the image.

    2. Duplicate the layer. (Ctrl + J) on Windows

    3. Go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Give the amount about 3 to 5. (This value depends on your image's focus, and resolution a lot, so please experiment with that values)

    4. Then change the layer's blending mode to -> Soft Light.
    (This is probably the most difficult to find, if you're new to Adobe Photoshop.)
    i. You can go to Layer -> Layer Styles -> Blending Options...
    ii. and change the Blending Mode from Normal to "Soft Light"
    (Also experiment with different blending modes, like "Multiply, Screen, Overlay, etc..." They have different effects.)
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by eosandy View Post
    If it's the background being out of focus then suggest you Google "bokeh". This is more likely a result of a large aperture.
    and small f-stop..

    googling aperture will also help, as well as picking up a basic photography book.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    If you have Lightroom, can try decreasing the clarity level.

  10. #10
    Member eosandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land of smiles
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    and small f-stop..

    googling aperture will also help, as well as picking up a basic photography book.
    Yesh indeedy.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Image feels "soft", so either the focus was off intentionally or a slight blurring is present (intentionally or not). If your shutter speed is low (perhaps 1/30?) for close range, you can get the slightly blurred effect... just play around with different f-stop and shutter speeds =)
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    thanks for the comments, guys!

    i was there taking photos also, and got the same pic but not as nice, despite having the same iso setting as the photographer (iso 800 - we talked shop before the ceremony started). she was using canon also, looks the same size like mine, so must be XXD model, and was using an L lens, which i guess must be 24-70mm or 24-105mm.

    it was low light and no flash, so there was noticeable camera shake, but not as pronounced or artistic as this one
    Last edited by tjana; 4th October 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: correct info

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by waiaung View Post
    Its best achieved with lens.

    But you can also create an effect like that one with Adobe Photoshop.
    The technique is called "Soft Focus" effect.

    1. Open the image.

    2. Duplicate the layer. (Ctrl + J) on Windows

    3. Go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur. Give the amount about 3 to 5. (This value depends on your image's focus, and resolution a lot, so please experiment with that values)

    4. Then change the layer's blending mode to -> Soft Light.
    (This is probably the most difficult to find, if you're new to Adobe Photoshop.)
    i. You can go to Layer -> Layer Styles -> Blending Options...
    ii. and change the Blending Mode from Normal to "Soft Light"
    (Also experiment with different blending modes, like "Multiply, Screen, Overlay, etc..." They have different effects.)
    Nice tutorial you got here!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    this is my own take of the same subject.

    canon 40D, at f 5.6, 1/13 sec, ISO 800



  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    yes, thanks for the tutorial, waiaung!

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjana View Post
    this is my own take of the same subject.

    canon 40D, at f 5.6, 1/13 sec, ISO 800


    i think the photographer has a better camera? Did u say she uses a L lens?
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    i think the photographer has a better camera? Did u say she uses a L lens?

    no lah, i don't think it's the camera or lens. well, firstly it's quite obvious her framing is better than mine. what i'm not certain about is if the softness is from camera shake or from wide open aperture or both, or PP. i think there is some PP involved, as i saw her other pictures and they certainly don't have that same softness.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    yes.. blur with soft light
    u can use feather also
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

  19. #19

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    Do u all change the opacity after using soft blur. the colour like a bit saturated to me when i follow your tutorial.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: How to get this effect?

    this is how it looks like after i applied the recommended steps. thanks waiaung!

    Last edited by tjana; 4th October 2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: correct img location

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •