Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Singtel wins exclusive rights to BPL

Default Re: Singtel wins exclusive rights to BPL

Actually, how to be competitive when SingTel has the muscle to outbid anyone who comes in their way?
    They already lost money by selling the iPhone.
    Logically speaking, if SingTel has outbid StarHub this time round and they are going to maintain the same rates, won't SingTel be making more losses?
    I think they are just trying to gain market share in the broadband market now that they have secured their position in the mobile market.
    Pricing wise and reliability is yet to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Here's an interesting development ... fellow Starhub Sports Group, let's wait and see for now, anyway we're still 10 months away from the new season!

MDA considering intervention in local pay TV market
    By Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 02 October 2009 2255 hrs
    SINGAPORE:

The government is aware of consumer concerns over the local pay TV market, said Acting Information, Communications and the Arts Minister Lui Tuck Yew on Friday.

RAdm Lui's comments followed SingTel's announcement that it has secured exclusive broadcast rights to the English Premier League (EPL) for three years, starting from 2010.

Football fans in Singapore are concerned that they may have to pay premium rates to catch their favourite matches. Some have also complained about having to fork out money for multiple set-top boxes as they switch to SingTel's mio service.

Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) has indicated that it will evaluate whether direct intervention in the local pay TV market is needed.

MDA said it is monitoring the situation and will consider the implications of the final agreement of the EPL bid. SingTel has yet to set its pricing policy, but added that rates will be competitive.

RAdm Lui said the government is mindful that under the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network, the proliferation of set-top boxes for a variety of content might be a problem and that different agencies will look into the issue to come up with solutions.

He said the government will also contact local pay TV service providers on this matter.

"What we will be doing is we will invite SingTel and StarHub to come in and share with us their plans and their intentions, going forward. When we have a better understanding of what they intend to do, that will put us in a better position to determine if any intervention is needed," he said.
    I think MDA is rubbish! In today's papers, there was a sort of summary of comments from MDA like this and in short, they are pleased that Singtel has said that their rates will be competitive. So far, MDA all talk only no action. Really NATO!

If they wanted to intervene, they will have done it long ago......

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    So far, MDA all talk only no action. Really NATO!

If they wanted to intervene, they will have done it long ago......
    try not paying your tv licence and you will know that MDA is well and alive.

Hahaha singtel, nice one la.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Ever heard of the winner's curse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winner%27s_curse

With exclusive rights and money spent out bidding, I guess consumers are not in the upper hand of the deal.

Anyway, where's the anti-competition committee in Singapore. I guess silence is golden.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    i will be cancelling my starhub sport subscription after this year but i won't be subscribing to singtel mio cos my kids watch the other starhub channels.

anyway don't be to happy about singtel winning the rights. for now they have said they will not charge more than starhub. starhub charges $25 for the sports group so will singtel also be charging $25? if starhub bid $250m the last time, singtel would have bid much more to make sure they win the rights this time round. if they don't pass the costs to the consumers in the first year, they will probably do so in the following years.

btw...after read this article today, i don't think i will want to sign up with singtel.

Streaming glitch upsets online fans

"An irate reader emailed The New Paper and said: 'We had a serious problem with SingTel last night regarding the Champions League game.

'After paying money to watch the game online, all we (got was) a blank screen for the whole match and (it) took me more than 30 minutes to connect to the help desk.

'The reply I got was 'sorry everyone is having the same problem, you can go to bed and we will investigate tomorrow',' added the reader, who did not leave his full name."
    !

For real? They actually said that?

-- Marios

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    try not paying your tv licence and you will know that MDA is well and alive.
    I think thats all they do...........................
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    I think thats all they do...........................
    lol yeah as long as money comes in, nothing else matters, same as Singtel the rest of the telcos. No regard for the consumers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    lol yeah as long as money comes in, nothing else matters, same as Singtel the rest of the telcos. No regard for the consumers at all.
    Let me share some mindsets of local operators:

1) Bopian,... IDA say must do, so do lor...
    2) What??? Just 2 million subscribers??? Cheyyy... they should be THANKFUL that they're getting the service in the first place. Still dare complain some more...

It's true that as an operator, 2 million subs is a pathetic number of customers. But what to do...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234