Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singtel wins exclusive rights to BPL

Default Re: Singtel wins exclusive rights to BPL

SINGAPORE: Singapore Telecommunications Ltd (SingTel) announced it has won the rights to air Barclays English Premier League matches across its platforms, as well as exclusive broadcast rights to ESPN STAR Sports for mio TV.

In a statement released Thursday, SingTel said the rights would allow it to broadcast BPL matches on mio TV, the Internet and mobile applications for three years starting August next year.

SingTel said it has also secured rights to a suite of sports networks and services from ESPN STAR Sports (ESS) for its mio TV customers. ESPNEWS, a brand new 24-hours sports news channel, is slated to be broadcast on mio TV from next month.

Singtel Singapore CEO Allen Liew assured that charges will be comparable to what sports fans are currently paying to their cable TV operator.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...008519/1/.html

sad got to cancel plan from next season, i got mio but nv use it
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

vince123123
    Guests

I find it strange why people are gleefully saying to switch here and there. It is actually a bad thing because this swithcing around will prompt whoever to bid higher the next time; leading to a bid price war and all around higher prices for consumers. Either that or bubble bursts and they suffer a big loss even for the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I find it strange why people are gleefully saying to switch here and there. It is actually a bad thing because this swithcing around will prompt whoever to bid higher the next time; leading to a bid price war and all around higher prices for consumers. Either that or bubble bursts and they suffer a big loss even for the winner.
    Well put. We're just fueling this. $$ ends up going to expensive football players also.What for? I keep my money and watch other things. Like S-League
    But seriously, how come MDA keep quiet all this while?

Hmm.. What will happen to those who are still in contract with Starhub? Are they able to cancel at no compensation, arguing that there is no more BPL?

Something like, why should i continue to pay for the service when the service (firstly Champions League and now BPL) standard has decreased so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Starhub is gonna cry over this. Imagine the no. of customers and amount of $ they're gonna lose.
    Totally agree. I was missing Champion League this year (I thought never mind), but no way keep Starhub without EPL and Champions League. Oh well.. I hope they know what they are doing.

-- Marios

Vince

Agree, but as a customer you pay for something and in this case a lot of us want to pay to watch EPL. Who is providing football is not the question. Would have preferred starhub to compete with singtel to keep prices low.. but it is what it is. If they raise the prices a lot, then forget football, sleep more.

-- Marios

I am not sure about others but to me, we had suffered under SH for a while now. They raise the sport grp pricing time and time again. Guess this is my twisted way of "getting" revenge.

Anyway, this exclusive rights is only good for the premier league. Consumer doesn't benefit.

Imagine all the advertisement SH will lose due to them missing this.

I find it's a good thing that ST won...... too many set top boxes lying around.... makes the TV console look so messy!! hehehehehe

But hor.... who will win the rights to broadcast World Cup 2010??
    Last edited by NitroTech; 1st October 2009 at 02:15 PM.

I bet this is just a game they wanna play...
    after 3 years, its gonna be SH turn again ... after that its back to ST...
    in e end we consumers lose out...
    I will rather subscribe to fav team's channel :MUTV...

Quote Originally Posted by absoluthal View Post
    I bet this is just a game they wanna play...
    after 3 years, its gonna be SH turn again ... after that its back to ST...
    in e end we consumers lose out...
    I will rather subscribe to fav team's channel :MUTV...
    Actually I may just use live streaming for match day matches.... so many around and the lag is just 10 seconds... reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    I find it's a good thing that ST won...... too many set top boxes lying around.... makes the TV console look so messy!! hehehehehe

But hor.... who will win the rights to broadcast World Cup 2010??

very good question

Skali M1 also join in the game...
    die la like dat......

competition supposed to give consumers more choices, but in our situation......

no choice

woohooo.... i hv mio tv....

Arggg! my mio plan is canceling end of the year.And was thinking of subscribing to starhub for BPL.But guess gonna stick with MIO.Quite a few channels are decent on MIO tho.Except the interface is not very good cos you have to switch manually for HD mode unlike starhub

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    Actually I may just use live streaming for match day matches.... so many around and the lag is just 10 seconds... reasonable

Now is so goddam hard to find streaming.On TVU i cant get access to Fox,Sopcast up and down.Justin TV must pay money if not halfway stop and everytime ban.If you got alternative please tell me

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Starhub is gonna cry over this. Imagine the no. of customers and amount of $ they're gonna lose.
    They might not lose that much main because the other contents in MioTV is bad...really really bad. Starhub still has a slew of other programs to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    They might not lose that much main because the other contents in MioTV is bad...really really bad. Starhub still has a slew of other programs to watch.
    mioTV so jialat ah? i was still thinking if i should switch to ST for F1 and BPL.

That is bad news for SH sports group users for next season.

It also means end of football watching for me because I do not even has ST fixed line to begin with. I remove ST fix line and go for SH digital line.

Quote Originally Posted by forward6666 View Post
    woohooo.... i hv mio tv....
    You still don't know what is ST pricing for their football channels.

What if more ex than SH? (since they outbid SH to win the rights)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast