Thread: how to set dry cabinet humidity %?

Default how to set dry cabinet humidity %?

hi all,

have this dry cabinet. digi-cabi model db-036. the dial to adjust the rh% is just.. a dial. kind of hard to keep it at ~45%. any pple have this model/ this type of dial?

any advice?

Default Re: how to set dry cabinet humidity %?

Quote Originally Posted by tankaiming View Post
    hi all,

have this dry cabinet. digi-cabi model db-036. the dial to adjust the rh% is just.. a dial. kind of hard to keep it at ~45%. any pple have this model/ this type of dial?

any advice?
    manual didn't mention?

anyways from what i understand for analogue dry cabinets it's pretty much a trial n error process... so u can start off with knob at 12 o/clock position. wait 1-2hrs for it to calibrate n stabilise then do adjustment (clockwise to lower RH, anti-clockwise up the RH or depending on what ur manual says) wait for RH to stabilise again then adjust accordingly again.. if u r good probably be done in 3-4 repeat cycles if not than more....

that's why i bought a digitally controlled one
    Last edited by tunge; 30th September 2009 at 05:09 PM.

anyways from what i understand for analogue dry cabinets it's pretty much a trial n error process... so u can start off with knob at 12 o/clock position. wait 1-2hrs for it to calibrate n stabilise then do adjustment (clockwise to lower RH, anti-clockwise up the RH or depending on what ur manual says) wait for RH to stabilise again then adjust accordingly again.. if u r good probably be done in 3-4 repeat cycles if not than more....
    Actually there is nothing to callibrate. tunge's method is what I did last time to my dry cabinet. However, there is no point in buying a more expensive digital one as this procedure is only for starting up. After your dry cabinet is between 40-45%, you will never need to change that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Actually there is nothing to callibrate. tunge's method is what I did last time to my dry cabinet. However, there is no point in buying a more expensive digital one as this procedure is only for starting up. After your dry cabinet is between 40-45%, you will never need to change that setting.
    eh by calibrate i mean stablising the the RH...

agree abt the need to get digital or not, really i agree that both analogue n digital works fine, it's just a matter or preference n budget.

RTFM!

Yup I have the DB-036. My RH is set between 45-50% as I allow for some variance (+/- 5%) in case my hygrometer is slightly inaccurate, and so it does not fall below 40% where the rubber parts start to dessicate and too far above 50% when my lenses start to sprout leaves.

My setting of the dial is approximately at the 12.30pm position. You can find your own RH balance after following what the rest have mentioned above.
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

have this dry cabinet. digi-cabi model db-036. the dial to adjust the rh% is just.. a dial. kind of hard to keep it at ~45%. any pple have this model/ this type of dial? any advice?
    My advice is to read the manual and also this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481380 Hope that explaines how the dry cabinet works and why it simply cannot be perfectly stable at only one number.
    Also, there is no need to keep the RH at 45% sharp, your camera will not mummify when RH comes to 40% or decay at 50%
    EOS

ahahaha. thanks all the the advice. i HAVE read the manuals. i love reading them. if it said so, i wouldnt have posted this thread. haha.

i pushed it all the way to the 5pm position, and it stays at around 50. maybe its cause its in the afternoon.

I have an idea, set the dial to maximum drying and wait till the Rh is about 40% then turn off the power.

i pushed it all the way to the 5pm position, and it stays at around 50. maybe its cause its in the afternoon.
    And in the morning you suspect it will be at 5am position? (Ok, kidding.)

The final position of the dial depends a lot on the room condition. If you have aircon then you will see fluctuations whenever you use the aircon, the RH will drop. In my room without any aircon I have stable 48% at a dial position of about 9-10 o'clock.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    I have an idea, set the dial to maximum drying and wait till the Rh is about 40% then turn off the power.
    And after 2h when the RH is back to 60%+ he will get up from bed and switch on the power again?
    EOS

for a rule of thumb, i would turn the knob to roughly the 1 o'clock position, and it will approximately set to about 42 - 48%rh