Thread: Dual clutch.

Default Dual clutch.

I've read that some cars have a dual clutch. My questions are:

Q1. What is it?
    Q2. What are the advantage of dual clutch?

TIA for replies and comments.

Default Re: Dual clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I've read that some cars have a dual clutch. My questions are:

Q1. What is it?
    Q2. What are the advantage of dual clutch?

TIA for replies and comments.
    Dual clutch, is the use of 2 clutches to engage and dis-engage the gears, one clutch is linked to the odd gears, eg, gear 1, 2 & 3. The other clutch is linked to the even gears, eg, gear 2, 4 & 6. The main advantage of this system is that the gears are preped ready for smooth and fast shifting. Example, you start of with gear 1, then usually the automatic gear box would dis-engage the clutch and then shift to gear 2, then re-engage the clutch. With dual clutches, the clutch will dis-engage the odd gear, but the even gear is already ready to go, so the 2nd clutch will engage with the 2nd gear in place. So in simple terms, no need to wait to shift the gears.

Hope it helps.

Cartman2000, Ninja23XX, thanks for the replies/link.

So, the second clutch is to save time of a single clutch disengaging and then re-engaging the next gear. For a dual clutch system, the next gear is already pre-engaged, hence saving some time as compared to a single clutch. Correct? (I think so)

I would think that it helps if you are changing gears rapidly, for example when attempting to clear a corner quickly

Cartman2000, Ninja23XX, thanks for the replies/link.

So, the second clutch is to save time of a single clutch disengaging and then re-engaging the next gear. For a dual clutch system, the next gear is already pre-engaged, hence saving some time as compared to a single clutch. Correct? (I think so)
    That's right. It's main factor is to save time, but fuel wise, not so much, as there's 2 clutches to move now. Dual clutches are more prominent on sports cars, where fast shifting is thrill. For the everyday car, i'd prefer either a 6 speed or 7 speed gear box. Saves you some fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    That's right. It's main factor is to save time, but fuel wise, not so much, as there's 2 clutches to move now. Dual clutches are more prominent on sports cars, where fast shifting is thrill. For the everyday car, i'd prefer either a 6 speed or 7 speed gear box. Saves you some fuel.
    Thanks for the pointer, Ninja23XX. I am just wanting to know more about dual clutch since I have read it in a car magazine.

Thanks for the pointer, Ninja23XX. I am just wanting to know more about dual clutch since I have read it in a car magazine.
    No problem, glad to help.

without boring you with the technicalities, Dual clutch basically eliminates / minimises shift dead-zones. Basically, a seperate clutch pre-empts and pre-engage the next gear shift. Though initially designed for sporty driving, Dual clutch transmission has made it way to everyday cars like the Volks Golf GTi.