Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: Love affair with the DSLR.

  1. #41

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    <snip> shoot my wife while we were having dinner at the beach at sunset. It was worth it. <snip>
    Sorry - can't resist this . . . .

  2. #42

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Ok. It seems like my friend is getting me the new 18-135 instead. Maybe I will be the 1st in SG to test it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kookk; 30th September 2009 at 01:47 PM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    Ok. It seems like my friend is getting me the new 18-135 instead. Maybe I will be the 1st in SG to test it tomorrow.
    Canon has an 18-135 lens? really? Care to share a link where I can see it online?
    I saw that they have an EF 28-135

    anyway, 18-55, 55-200, 50/1.8 and a small flash like EX270 can easily fit into a mid-size camera bag like Lowepro Rezo190 or Crumpler 5MDH. The tripod can be slung over your shoulder, so you don't even have to carry anything in your hand when walking around and not photographing.
    Even the cheapo tripod is better than nothing, but I wouldn't trust it with a DSLR though. I use it for my compact camera, or to mount my SB600 flash remotely
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    http://www.canon.com.sg/pressroom/ar...le=501&lang=EN

    Here you go. Not out in SG yet but launched in HK. Just saw that there is even 2 in BnS now.

    http://www.canon.com.hk/en/Consumer/...5&series_id=31

    Currently looking into the 430 or 270. Looks like I will now be travelling with the 18-135 and 50f1.8 only. If I strike 4D I may get a 10-22 too. I reckon 135 should be enough zoom for the moment.

    Still trying to convince myself on the tripod.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Canon has an 18-135 lens? really? Care to share a link where I can see it online?
    I saw that they have an EF 28-135

    anyway, 18-55, 55-200, 50/1.8 and a small flash like EX270 can easily fit into a mid-size camera bag like Lowepro Rezo190 or Crumpler 5MDH. The tripod can be slung over your shoulder, so you don't even have to carry anything in your hand when walking around and not photographing.
    Even the cheapo tripod is better than nothing, but I wouldn't trust it with a DSLR though. I use it for my compact camera, or to mount my SB600 flash remotely
    Last edited by Kookk; 30th September 2009 at 10:54 PM.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Serangoon
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    just wondering, what's the diff between EX270 & EX580II besides the price?

  6. #46

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by lesliekoh View Post
    just wondering, what's the diff between EX270 & EX580II besides the price?
    Just to name a few, function, distance supported, flash recovery rate, size, etc.....

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Serangoon
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    thanks kookk. just wondering, based on your research, how many lens do you need to be operationally for any situation?

    i just read a few photographers battle gears, they normally have 3
    short range - 18-70mm
    long range - 70-200mm
    middle - 50mm

    focal length may not be accurate, just giving a rough gauge.

    is it enough?

  8. #48
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    http://www.canon.com.sg/pressroom/ar...le=501&lang=EN

    Here you go. Not out in SG yet but launched in HK. Just saw that there is even 2 in BnS now.

    http://www.canon.com.hk/en/Consumer/...5&series_id=31

    Currently looking into the 430 or 270. Looks like I will now be travelling with the 18-135 and 50f1.8 only. If I strike 4D I may get a 10-22 too. I reckon 135 should be enough zoom for the moment.

    Still trying to convince myself on the tripod.
    thanks for the link!
    wow, RRP for the lens is kinda high.
    Weird that it's bundled with 7D (semi-pro model), where the likely buyer would be an experienced photog with an arsenal of lenses.

    18-135 IS sounds like a winner!
    Use that as your main walkabout lens, with the 50/1.8 for those times where you want the thinner DOF or need a faster lens.
    430EX is more versatile, though it's more $$. You might consider Nissin flashes too. Seems to be not bad. I'm tempted to buy one myself... surfing online for more user reviews.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #49
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by lesliekoh View Post
    thanks kookk. just wondering, based on your research, how many lens do you need to be operationally for any situation?

    i just read a few photographers battle gears, they normally have 3
    short range - 18-70mm
    long range - 70-200mm
    middle - 50mm

    focal length may not be accurate, just giving a rough gauge.

    is it enough?
    It's not about trying to cover the focal range.
    I used to think like that, until I progressed in this hobby, then I realized I much prefer UWA lenses.
    My previous set-up was 18-135 kit (walkabout) + 50/1.8 (fast, thin DOF).
    Now I much prefer 12-24 + 50/1.8
    As you can see there's a huge 'hole' in the focal range, but it suits the kind of photos I like to take.
    My 18-135 and 70-300 having extended hibernation in the dry cabinet

    your lens suggestions don't prepare you for ANY situation anyway.
    What about macro? Or sports? architecture maybe?
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 30th September 2009 at 11:23 PM.
    Exploring! :)

  10. #50

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    thanks for the link!
    wow, RRP for the lens is kinda high.
    Weird that it's bundled with 7D (semi-pro model), where the likely buyer would be an experienced photog with an arsenal of lenses.

    18-135 IS sounds like a winner!
    Use that as your main walkabout lens, with the 50/1.8 for those times where you want the thinner DOF or need a faster lens.
    430EX is more versatile, though it's more $$. You might consider Nissin flashes too. Seems to be not bad. I'm tempted to buy one myself... surfing online for more user reviews.
    Hope it will be a winner! You are probably right about the 7D users coz' 2 just popped up for sale in the BnS for SGD 650 each. Guess, IQ is yet to be tested but from the pictures, the built seems better than the 18-55. The mount seems to be metal.

    I sort of like the 50f1.8 except for the AF capabilities. If the 18-135 fits me well, I may look into getting a fast prime 30 and 50 for low light conditions. Don't think I will need more zoom and not sure about UWA yet.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    So far, I can't get enough zoom on the 18-55. Can't close up enough on some subjects and can't go nearer to it coz' of the minimum focus distance. Can't zoom in enough on the stray dog or cat from a distance. Wide on the 18 has been enough for me on the few occassion that I required it for some group and family shots.

    The cheapest option to step up on the 18-55 zoom was the 55-250, hence, I thought of getting that but since my freind got me the 18-135 instead, I am hoping that it will be more than sufficient for my zooming needs. Don't think I will be shooting birds or going to the safari.

    I enjoyed shooting on the 50f1.8 which made low light shooting alot easier so I may look into a fast prime 30 and 50 for indoor needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by lesliekoh View Post
    thanks kookk. just wondering, based on your research, how many lens do you need to be operationally for any situation?

    i just read a few photographers battle gears, they normally have 3
    short range - 18-70mm
    long range - 70-200mm
    middle - 50mm

    focal length may not be accurate, just giving a rough gauge.

    is it enough?

  12. #52
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    So far, I can't get enough zoom on the 18-55. Can't close up enough on some subjects and can't go nearer to it coz' of the minimum focus distance. Can't zoom in enough on the stray dog or cat from a distance. Wide on the 18 has been enough for me on the few occassion that I required it for some group and family shots.

    The cheapest option to step up on the 18-55 zoom was the 55-250, hence, I thought of getting that but since my freind got me the 18-135 instead, I am hoping that it will be more than sufficient for my zooming needs. Don't think I will be shooting birds or going to the safari.

    I enjoyed shooting on the 50f1.8 which made low light shooting alot easier so I may look into a fast prime 30 and 50 for indoor needs.
    Try using 'human zoom'... a.k.a. walking closer to the subject
    Hopefully the 18-135 will satisfy your requirements. You could try borrow a 55-200 lens from someone (friend, etc) and turn it up till 135 only. See if the reach is enough for you.
    135mm on a 500D (1.6x crop) gives field of view like a 215mm lens on a film SLR. That's plenty!
    Exploring! :)

  13. #53

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Try using 'human zoom'... a.k.a. walking closer to the subject
    Hopefully the 18-135 will satisfy your requirements. You could try borrow a 55-200 lens from someone (friend, etc) and turn it up till 135 only. See if the reach is enough for you.
    135mm on a 500D (1.6x crop) gives field of view like a 215mm lens on a film SLR. That's plenty!

    Did that and sometimes you get caught by the minimum focus distance especially when the subjects are small. I think 135 should be more than sufficient for most of my needs. Is it enough at the Zooz and Bird Parks?

  14. #54

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    Did that and sometimes you get caught by the minimum focus distance especially when the subjects are small. I think 135 should be more than sufficient for most of my needs. Is it enough at the Zooz and Bird Parks?
    Hi Kookk,

    Not too sure about bird parks, but i think for zoo, you'll need at least a 200 to be comfortable? I had my 70-200 when i visited the zoo and i was still hoping i've more! you really would want to capture up close shots rather then random wide shots with small animals (ok, that's my point of view la).

    enjoy your search! but then shoot more!
    Licence to shoot.

  15. #55
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    Did that and sometimes you get caught by the minimum focus distance especially when the subjects are small. I think 135 should be more than sufficient for most of my needs. Is it enough at the Zooz and Bird Parks?
    oh... you use the kit lens as a macro lens? Cannot la....
    If you like close-ups, maybe you need to get Tamron 90mm macro. It can also be used as a regular lens for taking portraits, etc.
    Macro lenses allow close focusing, but can be a bit slow to focus.
    Exploring! :)

  16. #56

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    oh... you use the kit lens as a macro lens? Cannot la....
    So sad.. I've been using the 18-55 as a macro lens using the BR-2A and now you say cannot...

  17. #57

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    Hi Kookk,

    Not too sure about bird parks, but i think for zoo, you'll need at least a 200 to be comfortable? I had my 70-200 when i visited the zoo and i was still hoping i've more! you really would want to capture up close shots rather then random wide shots with small animals (ok, that's my point of view la).

    enjoy your search! but then shoot more!
    That's what I thought. Anyway, I don't think I will be visiting any Zoos in the near future. Will just make do first with my current set first. This being my very first camera, the idea of spending 1k and above for camera lens still irks me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    oh... you use the kit lens as a macro lens? Cannot la....
    If you like close-ups, maybe you need to get Tamron 90mm macro. It can also be used as a regular lens for taking portraits, etc.
    Macro lenses allow close focusing, but can be a bit slow to focus.
    Not exactly lah but I was trying to get as close to some subjects so that they take up more space in the frame. My priority now is to get more flexibility in my setup for my coming trip to Japan. Not sure I will really do macro next time coz' I am running out of ideas of what to shoot in my garden.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    That's what I thought. Anyway, I don't think I will be visiting any Zoos in the near future. Will just make do first with my current set first. This being my very first camera, the idea of spending 1k and above for camera lens still irks me.
    Oh, i rent my lenses quite a bit also (check out our CS commercial services section). Learnt quite a bit on the gears and of course areas you need to brush up on. It's especially more money-sense when i'm just trying them out or for a one day event thing. But, make sure you don't get so tempted that you go out and get one the next day! Enjoy your gears!
    Licence to shoot.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    Oh, i rent my lenses quite a bit also (check out our CS commercial services section). Learnt quite a bit on the gears and of course areas you need to brush up on. It's especially more money-sense when i'm just trying them out or for a one day event thing. But, make sure you don't get so tempted that you go out and get one the next day! Enjoy your gears!
    Hmm... This is actually quite a big problem that I have.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Love affair with the DSLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookk View Post
    Hmm... This is actually quite a big problem that I have.
    it happened to me once, and it was my first L lens. thankfully i've got financial constraints heh. stopped there and swear to myself that i had better better my photos before i start another round of Lens buying rampage!
    Licence to shoot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •