Thread: Best Price for D300s + what lens is good to go with it for portrait

Default Best Price for D300s + what lens is good to go with it for portrait

Any one go a good place for me to get Nikon D300s. And any good recommendation for Nikon/nikon mount len for portrait taking?

Default Re: Best Price for D300s + what lens is good to go with it for portrait

Any street shops like Cathay Photo at Peninsula, MS Color at AMK, John 3:16 at Funan should be fine. Not sure if it's available since it was just launched recently. As for lens, the most popular factors are having focal length (35mm / FF equivalent) between 85mm to 200mm and wide aperture lenses like primes. It all depends on your style... unless you wanna follow others.

That said, you can capture your portraits with your kit lens too which leaves you as the photographer to create magic.

Deregistered

Any shops mentioned from CSers (or maybe recommended by) should be a good place to deal. For the price, you can ask them for quotation before you step in to their store (can also refer to the CS's price guide)

for potrait, if you are in tight budget, u can go for 50mm f/1.8D, it will serve you for potrait as well.

There's no really one "a gd portrait lens". Various focal length can work wonders for u if you know how to use them, tt said, much dependent on the photographer's shooting style, comfort zone and how to find their "sweet spot" etc..

If insists on recommending, we will have a lengthy list.
    I've seen wonderful portraits taken at 35mm (wide angle 17-35mm f2.8);
    And stunning ones taken at 200mm (Telephoto 70-200mmf2.8) and so on..

For serious portraiture work, anything within the range of 85-135mm is good (u have to take into account ur crop factor i.e. 1.5X)

To name a few:-
    50mm f1.4/f1.8
    85mm f1.4/f.18
    105mm/135mm dc f2

and the list goes on..

jz my 2 cents and hope e advice helps.

Btw my gd friend at OP(SLM) selling D300s at $2480 nw...
    Last edited by Numnumball; 29th September 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Look at the shops we recommend in the proceguides section and give them a call. Nothing beats a direct quote.
    Alpha