Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: article: PRs preferred over locals.

  1. #101

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by forward6666 View Post
    haha sorry if it came out too strong... i've been here for more than 5 yrs now... i dont hv anything againts singaporeans if i did i wouldnt hv lived here for this long... but what this cosycatus guy wrote is just pure bullshit... just another pointless complaining... cannot take people like this.
    well, care to explain why it's bullshit? at least have the courtesy to put down your argument decently instead of claiming someone wrote bullshit when u didn't even finish reading. You can write in Chinese if English fails you. My Chinese is lousy, but i will try my best to comprehend it.

    pointless complain? do you even know what i am talking about?

    sigh...if u truly know nothing, do not comment for the sake of commenting. The total lack of comments will not show the lack of substance as much a badly written one. Sigh...CMI is CMI. But it's okay...your CMI only makes us shine..

  2. #102

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    for my "fellow singaporeans" who keep saying singaporeans aren't stupid and all that, it's ironic you keep harping on it when your grammar is totally off...it's embarrassing...keep this up and we'll have alot of ris low clones (not that there aren't already, she would be a good representative for singapore if she wasn't caught for credit card fraud) ... i'm all for speaking singlish, i speak it too but...come on, is it too much to ask to get your basic grammar right?

    some of you guys are acting like xenophobes, taking offence with the race rather than the fact that there are many jobs being given to non-singaporeans..there's a difference there

    please, i started this thread to share a link with you guys, not for it to become a platform for race bashing

    on another note, are some of you being ardent patriots of singapore just for the sake of being one?

  3. #103

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    Another perspective ....

    Why do companies look at FT ?

    For me 2 things Loyalty and Committement.

    Why do I say this.

    I am a foreigner been living in Singapore since 1990. I come here because I was offered a job and had the right skillsets required to work offshore.

    In 1997 there was a semi downturn in the Oil industry offshore, but onshore projects booming.

    So as I was out of work, I applied for a position being offered by Caltex, for Mechnical and Maintenance Engineers. The 350 that applied were whittled down to 30 and we all sat in a ballroom at the Mandarin Hotel, to do 3 hours of aptitude tests.

    At the end of this, further whittled down to 15, for further tests in the afternoon. While waiting for the results of whom would be in the final 15, I asked most present if they were also out of work, out of the 30 there 93.33% already had jobs. So I asked why they have applied, answer was more $$$$, chance to travel to USA paid for training, they all said stated that they only stay in one job for 2 to 3 years maximum and then move on.

    Another example of this, was another company whom I setup a Maintenance System. Got EDB grants, spared no expense in setting up this facility, (high tech aerospace), spent alot of time interviewing all people for the positions, from Engineers, QA/QC, Production Operators etc. In the end they employed 20 people all Singaporean. While the plant was getting constructed, all these people were sent to the US for training, in some cases 8months of training spread over 18months.

    This plant has been operating now for 5 years, within 2 years, 50% of the original staff had quit, gone to other aerospace companies. I was just at this company 4 months ago and out of the original 20 people hired, only 1 person is left.

    As the GM lamented to me, on training no expense spared, higher than average salaries, because they wanted the best, training per person was estimated at USD150K. So they have learnt their lesson, 75% of all the staff now are from outside Singapore, Malaysia / China / Phillippines / India. Salaries are on par with what the Singaporeans had been paid, but in this period not one of the new hires have left, most have been there 3 or more years.

    Look at construction sites, shipyards, manufacturing plants, where do most of the people come from.

    So tell me, whom is to blame if companies are employing FT to do jobs.

    Just giving my views on what I observe here in Singapore.


    Cheers ....
    Loyalty and commitment might no doubt exist in some FT. But realistically speaking, do you think many a FT will stay with a local company throughout his entire life and not return to his homeland? India is a fantastic place, u can give up ur citizenship, but u can return anytime and live like a citizen ( just forgo the voting rights). Just this point alone, i will wager that for loyalty and commitment, any local company will try to hire locals first.

    i work in a huge MNC. The only FT we hire in large numbers are the malaysias for this reason. Homeland to them is across the causeway or maybe a 1 day bus journey away. If i look at the folks in management, other than FT from the home country, most management staff are locals or Malaysians. There's narry a china national... Foreign Indians number has swell in a particular department ...well, b/c they tend to like their own kind...but overall, it's pretty much singapore and malaysia workforce.

    so i disagree with you on that part.

  4. #104

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    well, care to explain why it's bullshit? at least have the courtesy to put down your argument decently instead of claiming someone wrote bullshit when u didn't even finish reading. You can write in Chinese if English fails you. My Chinese is lousy, but i will try my best to comprehend it.

    pointless complain? do you even know what i am talking about?

    sigh...if u truly know nothing, do not comment for the sake of commenting. The total lack of comments will not show the lack of substance as much a badly written one. Sigh...CMI is CMI. But it's okay...your CMI only makes us shine..

    I thought he is fr indonesia chinese??

  5. #105

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Hi, to be fair, I think that's a pretty fair and valid discussion. No names calling and not really bashing Singaporeans
    and both sides of the story are presented.

    the fact that people have to deal with a different culture when they come here, and the fact that they have to adapt eventually as well, and find ways around what they deem unacceptable in their previous culture.

    in fact, i think if that is indeed an expat forums browsed and commented on by purely expats, it is a nice example to show that there are good people.

  6. #106

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    please, i started this thread to share a link with you guys, not for it to become a platform for race bashing
    i don't know..

    i thought forward6666 whoever was being a bit out of point and not worth taking notice of.. but there are people who just keep making fun of his figure, his race.. that is well, sinking to his level.

    let's grow up and show ourselves to be gracious and mature.

  7. #107

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    for my "fellow singaporeans" who keep saying singaporeans aren't stupid and all that, it's ironic you keep harping on it when your grammar is totally off...
    Bad grammar = being stupid?

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post

    some of you guys are acting like xenophobes, taking offence with the race rather than the fact that there are many jobs being given to non-singaporeans..there's a difference there
    Which posting in particular is taking offence with race? Take note you mentioned 'race'.

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post

    please, i started this thread to share a link with you guys, not for it to become a platform for race bashing
    The only bashing I see in this thread is of a foreigner bashing Singaporeans, and Singaporeans bashing fellow Singaporeans.

    Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    on another note, are some of you being ardent patriots of singapore just for the sake of being one?
    What's so wrong with that? Patriotism can be a form of raw emotion too

  8. #108

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't know..

    i thought forward6666 whoever was being a bit out of point and not worth taking notice of.. but there are people who just keep making fun of his figure, his race.. that is well, sinking to his level.

    let's grow up and show ourselves to be gracious and mature.

    Ah, the self-righteous elite is making his self-righteous 'you're no better than him' comment again

  9. #109

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Ah, the self-righteous elite is making his self-righteous 'you're no better than him' comment again

  10. #110

    Default Re: article: PRs preferred over locals.

    this thread is going downhill. feel free to start another to continue

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •