Thread: Focal length / diameter of lens = f-stop?

Default Focal length / diameter of lens = f-stop?

Hi, does this eqn holds? http://www.kowa-usa.com/digiscope/gr...alculation.htm

For example, I have a focal length of 1050mm and the diameter of lens is 70mm. So the f-stop will be approximately f15?

Canon EF 400mm diameter is 90mm. 400/90=4.44. Why is it f5.6? Does it only hold for digiscoping set-up and not DSLR lens?

Default Re: Focal length / diameter of lens = f-stop?

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

A better reference should be this one.

To answer TS' question, yes the f-stop is = focal length / aperture diameter. That's why f-stop is expressed as f/2.8, f/16 etc.

Note that the aperture diameter should be the diameter of the entrance pupil.

Regarding the Canon EF400, where did you get the figure 90mm? As far as I know, the EF400/2.8's filter size is only 77mm, and the entrance pupil cannot be larger then that.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post

Regarding the Canon EF400, where did you get the figure 90mm? As far as I know, the EF400/2.8's filter size is only 77mm, and the entrance pupil cannot be larger then that.
    maybe the barrel diameter is that, who knows.

Oops sorry, just realised I made a mistake. The 77mm filter is for the EF400/5.6. The EF400/2.8 is using a rear filter of 52mm. The max (outer) diameter of the lens is 6.4" which is ~162.5mm. This is about right, as 400/162.5 = 2.46, and 2.8 is smaller then that. If we're talking about the EF400/5.6, then 400/77 = 5.19, which is also about right as 5.6 is smaller that that.
    Last edited by ziploc; 28th September 2009 at 12:03 AM.