Thread: Wedding photography for the "unofficial bystander"?

Default Wedding photography for the "unofficial bystander"?

For the professional wedding photographers here, what do you make of family members/relatives/friends who tote their "big cameras" during the wedding? Will you go the extent of comparing shots with them and trade pointers?

For the "unofficial bystander", perhaps there are any nasty stories to share about wedding photographers who forbids you from taking out your precious for fear that you will "over-shadow" them?

For everyone else chiming into this, any general guidelines for courteous "do's" and "don'ts" when you are the unofficial wedding photographer?
    ___BLUE_QUARTZ___
    Flickr | Ricoh GR

Default Re: Wedding photography for the "unofficial bystander"?

tell me what do you think about this...

Wedding photography experience...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

As a guest with the cam, I will not want to get in the way of the official photographer so he/she can do his/her job. As to comparing notes, as the non-official photographer, I may. But if I am the official, I will not.

Overshadow no, there is no way a few shots can overshadow the hired gun, even if the guest taking a few shots is a pro wedding photog himself, simply because he won't be delivering the whole and comprehensive package/album. If the amateur gets nice shots its a bonus to the couple. But is the way how the amateur behaves (though most of the time not intentionally), because his action might hamper the pro in such situations:

The pro is shooting symbolic moments and happenings and the amateur in his excitement cross fires and enters the frame - it does not look nice when its a picture supposedly composed out only 2 loving couples but in the background we got one eager guy with a camera. It might also be mistaken that this person is a hired second shooter and messed up.

The pro is organizing group shots and the amateur shots aside or behind him. The group gets confused and distracted and pictures ended with people looking in different direction.

The pro is doing the portraits sessions and the amateur wants to shoot too and delays the little time the couple have with the pro on the wedding day.

The amatuer tailgates the pro in everything he does, coz the pro to bump or even trip on him, happens sometimes during march-in when he back peddles.

All these results in the client getting lesser or lower quality pics. Nowdays pros expect guests might bring DSLRs, medium formats, Leicas, what not, but too many cook spoilts the soup, too many photographers spoilts the shoot.

Then there is also the video guys to cooperate with too. Thats why some pros gets very frustrated and verbal about it and thus coined the term "Uncle Bob".

By all means bring your camera and enjoy, shoot candids, shoot guests, but stay out of the way of the pro photog and videog.

I am a chef, on my niece's wedding I tried to enter the hotel kitchen to cook my trademark master dish and show everyone a thing or two, but I was stopped by the hotel chef, hmmm. Ok thats a joke.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

another thread from a bystander view...

Wedding Photographer Mishap: What to do?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    tell me what do you think about this...

Wedding photography experience...
    Sounds like a painful experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Overshadow no, there is no way a few shots can overshadow the hired gun, even if the guest taking a few shots is a pro wedding photog himself, simply because he won't be delivering the whole and comprehensive package/album. If the amateur gets nice shots its a bonus to the couple. But is the way how the amateur behaves (though most of the time not intentionally), because his action might hamper the pro in such situations:

The pro is shooting symbolic moments and happenings and the amateur in his excitement cross fires and enters the frame - it does not look nice when its a picture supposedly composed out only 2 loving couples but in the background we got one eager guy with a camera. It might also be mistaken that this person is a hired second shooter and messed up.

The pro is organizing group shots and the amateur shots aside or behind him. The group gets confused and distracted and pictures ended with people looking in different direction.

The pro is doing the portraits sessions and the amateur wants to shoot too and delays the little time the couple have with the pro on the wedding day.

The amatuer tailgates the pro in everything he does, coz the pro to bump or even trip on him, happens sometimes during march-in when he back peddles.

All these results in the client getting lesser or lower quality pics. Nowdays pros expect guests might bring DSLRs, medium formats, Leicas, what not, but too many cook spoilts the soup, too many photographers spoilts the shoot.

Then there is also the video guys to cooperate with too. Thats why some pros gets very frustrated and verbal about it and thus coined the term "Uncle Bob".

By all means bring your camera and enjoy, shoot candids, shoot guests, but stay out of the way of the pro photog and videog.

I am a chef, on my niece's wedding I tried to enter the hotel kitchen to cook my trademark master dish and show everyone a thing or two, but I was stopped by the hotel chef, hmmm. Ok thats a joke.
    Will keep these pointers in mind. What I had in mind as well is also to turn up with my 85 f/1.8, for all the creamy bokeh and non-flash indoor shots. That of course means I should well be out of the main photographer's way too, since it'll be next to impossible to get group shots!
    ___BLUE_QUARTZ___
    Flickr | Ricoh GR

why not just go there and enjoy the dinner?
    eat. drink. shoot

Was referring to the day event... the dinner probably just go with my smaller point-and-shoot...
    ___BLUE_QUARTZ___
    Flickr | Ricoh GR

my buddy asked me to be his back-up photographer....
    he told me my focus will be on the candid ard the house...so i guess the official photographer will be 'aiming' at them...
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

It's a joyous event/moment, all of them want to capture some beautiful memories.
    Hence it's not an issue, as long as the "unofficial bystander" does not gets in the way or crowd him/herself into the frame of the official photographer.

But I do met a 'pro' wedding photographer on my friend's wedding lunch who hates people taking pictures when he's at work. So I keep my DSLR once he arrive at the venue.

He was pro-active through out the wedding lunch, but I was kind of turn off after browsing through the final images he send to my friend. My friend was even upset with the image he produce as quite a faction was badly exposed.
    Last edited by Shin Howard; 28th September 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

he has a job to deliver the pics ...
    at least he should take the pain to edit the pics properly...
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Blog Entries

what is the point of shooting the same shots as the main photog

shoot what the main photog cannot, behind the scenes action
    reaction of the people watching the shoot

inside the house if the main photog is outside

only then when all the images are put together will there be a complete story

Quote Originally Posted by blue_quartz View Post
    For the professional wedding photographers here, what do you make of family members/relatives/friends who tote their "big cameras" during the wedding? Will you go the extent of comparing shots with them and trade pointers?

For the "unofficial bystander", perhaps there are any nasty stories to share about wedding photographers who forbids you from taking out your precious for fear that you will "over-shadow" them?

For everyone else chiming into this, any general guidelines for courteous "do's" and "don'ts" when you are the unofficial wedding photographer?
    Very important thing. Stay out of the way of the official photog. Just shoot the candids.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site