Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parents! Please give your opinion!

Default Re: Parents! Please give your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    u realised ts said in his first post he wanna tie to bed and whallop kid?

BIG GRIN
    I think 9V meant the beating/caning has most probably caused the "strained" relationship btw father and son? Thus the disapproval slant?
    Licence to shoot.

imo there is a difference between smacking and corporal punishment.

My 20mth old gets smacked almost everyday. There are certain things that only a smack can solve. Like no touching of wall sockets, poking stuffs into wall socket, testing his limits on how much food he can throw on the floor. You can explain till the cow comes home to a 20mth old but they still need a smack.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Like no touching of wall sockets, poking stuffs into wall socket, testing his limits on how much food he can throw on the floor. You can explain till the cow comes home to a 20mth old but they still need a smack.
    In the first place, how on earth you put that socket so low until ur 20mths kid can reach.
    Do you think that 20mths kids no its dangerous? You are the one suppose to get smacked on your head because of your stupidity. Use your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by mdzmr View Post
    In the first place, how on earth you put that socket so low until ur 20mths kid can reach.
    Do you think that 20mths kids no its dangerous? You are the one suppose to get smacked on your head because of your stupidity. Use your brain.
    dunno i guess your 20mth old cant climb and is static.

dunno i guess your 20mth old cant climb and is static.
    My friend don't get offended. In the first place you should have think of all the safety precautious around your house. If you know those things that bares to safety hazard to your kids, you shall find alternative way to make them avoid it. Not let them do something out of their curiosity. Yeh, if ur kids poke or touch those socket you happen to know to smack him/her. But if happen that he/she touch and cause serious injuries or even death, and now who to blame. Still your kids?

For your info i do have 4 kids at home and all them are very mischevious at their age now. No matter how i will avoid all those thing that i find very hazard to my kids. example safety pins lying around, needle, scissors lying around, all my electrical socket covered.

My friend don't get offended. In the first place you should have think of all the safety precautious around your house. If you know those things that bares to safety hazard to your kids, you shall find alternative way to make them avoid it. Not let them do something out of their curiosity. Yeh, if ur kids poke or touch those socket you happen to know to smack him/her. But if happen that he/she touch and cause serious injuries or even death, and now who to blame. Still your kids?

For your info i do have 4 kids at home and all them are very mischevious at their age now. No matter how i will avoid all those thing that i find very hazard to my kids. example safety pins lying around, needle, scissors lying around, all my electrical socket covered.
    nice jumping to conclusion though. anyway all precautions are in place. Trying to touch covered sockets gets him a smack. It gets the point across.

My parents prefer the "caught on the act" kind of punishment so it is mostly meted by my mum, since she is the supervisor at home LOL.
    And she took very practical approach.
    She ask me to lick 9v battery. yep. got electric shock. now same thing will happen except more painful if I poke my finger into plug. I did not poke my finger but poke screwdriver into it and also got shock. Lucky that cause the circuit breaker to trip also. LOL
    I remember I wanted to play with fire so I ask her. She gave me permission and supervise (medic standby), let myself get burnt (fingers only la) and I learn the pain - wont play with fire anymore.
    I also play with water a lot, and she asked me to help wash dishes and clothes etc very fun when you think that is playing (no live in maid - she dont want cos once she had and the maid smack me on my head - I dont remember that)
    This has to be done at very early age, preferably before 10 yrs old.
    My grandfather hold me and lower me to a lonkang before cos I want to know what is inside. He dont drop me in lah, I was too small then. I fell into longkang only later (play with my cousins and one of them accidentally push me, i grab her hand and we both fell into longkang LOL, kana rotan after that). We also catch mosquito larva to feed goldfish.

One thing is I dont remember ever being hit because my exam mark is poor. It is all because I am too naughty.
    Last edited by aryanto; 11th January 2010 at 04:30 PM.

And I suppose your entire house is padded?

I know this is KPT, but still, play nice and show a little civility.

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    I think 9V meant the beating/caning has most probably caused the "strained" relationship btw father and son? Thus the disapproval slant?
    It is not the physical punishment per se but rather the lack of communication between each party and the failure to understand from each other PoV.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Incidentally one of my US colleague just shared this CNN article with me on Facebook. I used to argue with her on whether parents should cane their kids. I'm a subscriber to the spare the rod and spoil the child, but caning always seemed barbaric to the Americans.

Spanking Detrimental to Children

Quote Originally Posted by sci80899 View Post
    Incidentally one of my US colleague just shared this CNN article with me on Facebook. I used to argue with her on whether parents should cane their kids. I'm a subscriber to the spare the rod and spoil the child, but caning always seemed barbaric to the Americans.

Spanking Detrimental to Children

I really don't think there's a "one size fits all" solution.

Children are masters of manipulation - a one-year-old already knows how to play sides. I've seen an eight-year-old deceive both her parents to get more playing time on the computer.

In my opinion the effect of the rod must be psychological - the threat of force is always more effective than its use.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    And I suppose your entire house is padded?

I know this is KPT, but still, play nice and show a little civility.
    Ooopppss, sori for the rough words used.

Of course my house is not full padded, but I put some afford to those areas which I find hazard to my kids. Avoid is better than cure.

Blog Entries

nice jumping to conclusion though. anyway all precautions are in place. Trying to touch covered sockets gets him a smack. It gets the point across.
    well. who knows? today: interest in electricity.
    tmr: the author of the theory of everything (:

u got a naturally inquisitive boy. dun kill his interest in stuff too much with the smacks.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    It is not the physical punishment per se but rather the lack of communication between each party and the failure to understand from each other PoV.
    as of my earlier post... can't emphasize more on time and communication.. sometimes we look at the time we spent "trying to provide" for our homes/family, we wonder if our work is our family. that we see our colleagues and bosses more then we see our children and spouse.

of course bringing back the dough is definitely non evil. just need to remember to make that effort for the ones that matters most. to us that is.

hope ts is doing well.
    Licence to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well. who knows? today: interest in electricity.
    tmr: the author of the theory of everything (:

u got a naturally inquisitive boy. dun kill his interest in stuff too much with the smacks.
    to be honest...i dont stop him from touch almost anything..just the dangerous stuffs.

he understands what his limits are but he loves to test them.

to be honest...i dont stop him from touch almost anything..just the dangerous stuffs.

ask your parents about your mischief when young
    if not yours then ask mother/father in law about your spouse mischief when young

apple dont fall too far away from tree

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    ask your parents about your mischief when young
    if not yours then ask mother/father in law about your spouse mischief when young

apple dont fall too far away from tree
    i nearly died when i took a pin from my diaper poke livewire...

i dismantled a tv, a new bicycle, poured water on my dad's tube amps cause it felt hot.

all before 2.

Blog Entries

(: i see a great future from him. dun learn like some parents when child ask why u say dunno and brush them off. goggle answers and teach him. its good he has an interest;D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123