Thread: Do you feel the serenity?

Default Do you feel the serenity?

Hi all, i took this sunset picture in malaysia. I was quite pleased that the picture turn out the way i want it to be, i believe it gives a very warm, serene feeling, does it gives u that kindof feelings too? There is one mistake in this picture though, which is the guy on the extreme right is superimposed on a faraway boat in the sea hence it looks like something pierced through his neck! haha, jus wanna highlight how funny a picture can turn out if one is not careful.

Any comments or suggestions how i can improve my picture?

Hi ordinaryless,

A good effort, and I like the color and tonality of your shot. And yes there is a warm and serene feeling to it too. You have captured the shot at the right moment and the after glow from the sunset is great.

A few points though: first is the slanted horizon. When shooting any shots with a visible horizon, unless it is intentional, care should be taken to make it level, as a slanted horizon always looks very unatural. If you find that it is hard to level it properly handheld (which I sometimes do find), you can either use a tripod or do the correction in PS later.

Second are the leaves at the foreground. The leaves cluttered the picture and actually reduced the serenity of the scene. Try to imagine the picture without the leaves, and you see what I mean. The silhouette of the people is a good touch and makes the picture more interesting, however, I would think zooming out a little to make the silhouette smaller would be better, to bring more emphasis to the scenery.

The boat you've already mentioned, so we shall not discuss. The boat itself with the scenery without the people and the leaves will also make an excellent shot.

Good job, and thanks for sharing. Hope to see more pictures from you.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc
    Hi ordinaryless,

A good effort, and I like the color and tonality of your shot. And yes there is a warm and serene feeling to it too. You have captured the shot at the right moment and the after glow from the sunset is great.

A few points though: first is the slanted horizon. When shooting any shots with a visible horizon, unless it is intentional, care should be taken to make it level, as a slanted horizon always looks very unatural. If you find that it is hard to level it properly handheld (which I sometimes do find), you can either use a tripod or do the correction in PS later.

Second are the leaves at the foreground. The leaves cluttered the picture and actually reduced the serenity of the scene. Try to imagine the picture without the leaves, and you see what I mean. The silhouette of the people is a good touch and makes the picture more interesting, however, I would think zooming out a little to make the silhouette smaller would be better, to bring more emphasis to the scenery.

The boat you've already mentioned, so we shall not discuss. The boat itself with the scenery without the people and the leaves will also make an excellent shot.

Good job, and thanks for sharing. Hope to see more pictures from you.
    Hiya Ziploc,

Thank you so much for ya kinds words and comments, appreciated it =)

I actually didn't notice about the slanted horizon until you mention it, haha, cool! Yup, i did used a tripod then but i suppose didn't stand straight on the sand.

Leaves wise, i also didn't notice. Haha..Gosh, guess i must be more observant next time, thank you so much for the few pointers, very useful indeed.
    I'll try different zoom next time and share with you guys. =P

OH !!

Ziploc, that is good advise about the slanted horizon!!

No wonder those travel pics we take by the sea ..when put together on photo albums all have different slanting lines !! !

Didn't occur to me about that fact, thanks for pointing it out !!

And yes..haha the "knife through the neck" was pretty amusing