Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 377

Thread: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

  1. #221
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that's a fair statement.

    but saying that bipolar disorder is unrelated to stealing, is used as an excuse, or is as common as the common flu... that isn't quite fair in any sense.
    I'm not sure about it being as common as the flu but, Bipolar Disorder cannot be use as an excuse for stealing
    She knows what she was doing and she was already given a 2nd chance by the court
    She can't keep asking people to give her a 2nd chance whenever things don't go her way, it just make her sound like a self-centred, vain, money grabber
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  2. #222
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I'm not sure about it being as common as the flu but, Bipolar Disorder cannot be use as an excuse for stealing
    She knows what she was doing and she was already given a 2nd chance by the court
    She can't keep asking people to give her a 2nd chance whenever things don't go her way, it just make her sound like a self-centred, vain, money grabber
    i agree with u. but sadly this is getting more and more common in the legal scenes. you can even read abt it on papers or online. mental problems are almost all the time good excuses for lighter punishment...

  3. #223
    Deregistered riotvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at your bedroom window
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    i think this is going to worsen the stigma attached to mental disorders

  4. #224

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    someone once told me that the ones who are most scared and condemning of certain conditions.. often suspect that they have the same condition.
    Night mare! HELLO
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  5. #225

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    The thing that disgust me is, she's trying to use the 'everyone deserves a 2nd chance' talk to try and manipulate her way out of this whole issue.

    When she's given a probation instead of a jail sentence, she already got her 2nd chance.
    that is true.

  6. #226

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    I'm not sure about it being as common as the flu but, Bipolar Disorder cannot be use as an excuse for stealing
    so tell me, if you are a parent with a kid with bipolar disorder, and the shrinks tell you he/she is stealing compulsively during a maniac high..

    you're going to tell the courts to jail your kid?

    yes, there are many people who seem like they wriggle out of sentences by pleading insanity, etc, along with various mental disorders.

    i don't know about you, but the human mind is a very complex thing. it is not surprising that things can go wrong somewhere, somehow.. and i think it is only fair that we trust in the limited knowledge we have in this area.. and give the ones who really have a problem the benefit of the doubt.

    it is like charity. everyone wants to give money to the truly poor, not the drunkards, not the gamblers, not the wifebeaters whose wives left them and no longer give them money. but you can't win all the time. i'd rather ensure that some of the deserving get our understanding..

  7. #227

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Night mare! HELLO
    hi hi hi

  8. #228

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    it is funny how people have double standards.

    i remember back then when someone posted a fake case of some mental patient's supposed works, everyone was like "oh wow, so beautiful", and it was even more sickening in a way when the interest seemed to grow when the patient was supposed to have commited suicide.

    it seems like most people only bother to listen or care when you're about to die, or dead. just like how michael jackson is making a comeback now.

  9. #229

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by riotvan View Post
    i think this is going to worsen the stigma attached to mental disorders
    nah, i think the people who try to understand, will continue to try to understand..

    after all, we can only try.

    and the ones who don't, just won't. that's just how it is.

  10. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so tell me, if you are a parent with a kid with bipolar disorder, and the shrinks tell you he/she is stealing compulsively during a maniac high..

    you're going to tell the courts to jail your kid?

    yes, there are many people who seem like they wriggle out of sentences by pleading insanity, etc, along with various mental disorders.

    Compulsive stealing is different from Bipolar disorder.
    Compulsive stealing is an uncontrollable need to steal even when the person can well affore it. Not for the trill nor the rush nor foe the desire to own the stolen item. Many of them either did not realised that they have stolen or regret it right after even when they did not get caught.

    In this case, Ris Low steal the credit card on puppose, went shopping with it for golden braclets, 2 X $600+ hand phone, meals at lux. rest, etc. She did not have an uncontrollable compulsion to steal, what she have is a plan to steal and to enjoy the "fruits" of her crime and she acted on it and was enjoying herself before she got caught.

    After all this got out in the open, she still insist on holding on to her title, refusing to take responsibility for her actions. The lease she should have done is to apoligies for not declaring her conviction and offer to step down but I guess the price money, the chance to travel and glamour of representing Singapore is too much for her to give up.

    You have also miss the point, I'm not saying that she should be jail, but she can't hope to fool everyone by saying that her bipolar disorder is to be blame and try to act pityful by saying that everyone make mistake and should be given a 2nd chance.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  11. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't know about you, but the human mind is a very complex thing. it is not surprising that things can go wrong somewhere, somehow.. and i think it is only fair that we trust in the limited knowledge we have in this area.. and give the ones who really have a problem the benefit of the doubt.

    it is like charity. everyone wants to give money to the truly poor, not the drunkards, not the gamblers, not the wifebeaters whose wives left them and no longer give them money. but you can't win all the time. i'd rather ensure that some of the deserving get our understanding..
    Totally agreed with you. But what have she done to be "deserving" ?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  12. #232

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Compulsive stealing is different from Bipolar disorder.
    well, from what i know, bipolar disorder can cause compulsive stealing.

    there's a lot of literature on it on the net.

    whether ris really regretted it or not is anyone's guess, i'm just saying that we shouldn't just paint over every bipolar disorder patient's compulsive stealing as an "excuse", which is what is being done here, by various members..

    i'm glad you are being reasonable.

  13. #233

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Totally agreed with you. But what have she done to be "deserving" ?
    that, i am speaking generally.

    i am not ris low's shrink.

    what i meant is , in general, there are real people with real problems out there. ris low may or may not be one of them. truth is, maybe only she knows. maybe her shrink knows a bit. it is important to acknowledge that people with problems seek to be understood, not condemned outright. some of them don't even know that they are doing it.

  14. #234
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, from what i know, bipolar disorder can cause compulsive stealing.

    there's a lot of literature on it on the net.

    whether ris really regretted it or not is anyone's guess, i'm just saying that we shouldn't just paint over every bipolar disorder patient's compulsive stealing as an "excuse", which is what is being done here, by various members..

    i'm glad you are being reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that, i am speaking generally.

    i am not ris low's shrink.

    what i meant is , in general, there are real people with real problems out there. ris low may or may not be one of them. truth is, maybe only she knows. maybe her shrink knows a bit. it is important to acknowledge that people with problems seek to be understood, not condemned outright. some of them don't even know that they are doing it.
    While I can agreed with you on this, it do stick out like a sore thumb that her conviction calls for probation but nothing is mention about the court ordering her to get medical attention. If the stealing is really due to her bipolar disorder there should be such an order given that this is the cause of the problem.

    I also agreed that compulsive stealing may stream from a bipolar disorder, but her actions of stealing only credit cards and than using them for her own enjoyment.......... I'm no shrink but that sounds like something well plan out instead of sonething done on conpulsion.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  15. #235
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Upper Thomson
    Posts
    1,440

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    hmmm....a SPIN DOCTOR must have diagnosed her bipolar disorder

  16. #236

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    While I can agreed with you on this, it do stick out like a sore thumb that her conviction calls for probation but nothing is mention about the court ordering her to get medical attention. If the stealing is really due to her bipolar disorder there should be such an order given that this is the cause of the problem.
    i was reading the sunday times yesterday.. it was in the sunday times right..?

    it was mentioned that she is seeing a doctor for this once every 3 weeks and is on constant medication to keep that problem under control.

  17. #237
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    where is your ability to sympathise, even if you can't emphatise?
    "The eyes that don't emphatise will not sympathise." - 孔夫子.


  18. #238

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "The eyes that don't emphatise will not sympathise." - 孔夫子.

    that is true.

  19. #239
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by sharkspin View Post
    hmmm....a SPIN DOCTOR must have diagnosed her bipolar disorder
    廄焚。子退朝,曰:“傷人乎?” 不問馬。

    When the stables were burnt down, on returning from court, Confucius said, 'Was anyone hurt?' He did not ask about the horses.


  20. #240
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

    Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    But what have she done to be "deserving" ?
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    -- Confucius


Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •