Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

Default Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

It's easy to be classified as having bipolar disorder. Despite it being a big looking word, it is actually as common as flu. If someone's mood is swinging a little too often and doesn't have the capacity to moderate the swings, it can be medically classified as bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder can be short term (event based) or long term.

What I meant in my previous post is that, regardless of bipolar disorder or otherwise, it is inexcusable to steal. Even kleptomaniacs goes to jail, so what is bipolar disorder to be used as an excuse to stealing?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think to be fair, this is an area that i know little of, i'd give her the benefit of the doubt, seeing how people in the know, i.e. shrinks are diagnosing her with a positive diagnosis.

or are you claiming that they don't know any better, and that they're covering for her? i honestly doubt so.
    Last edited by eyes; 28th September 2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    It's easy to be classified as having bipolar disorder. Despite it's a big looking word, it is actually as common as flu. If someone's mood is swings a little too often and doesn't have the capacity to moderate the swings, it can be medically classified as bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder can be short term (event based) or long term.

What I mean in my previous post is that, regardless of bipolar disorder or otherwise, it is inexcusable to steal. Even kleptomaniacs goes to jail, so what is bipolar disorder to be used as an excuse to stealing?
    do you actually know this, or are you just making unreasonable claims that aren't quite fair to anyone out there who's diagnosed with bipolar disorder?

as for kleptomaniacs going to jail, i don't think so.

link

i think you are just really making a lot of claims and trying to pass them off as facts. let's be more fair, shall we?

common?

1% of american population aged 18 and above have it.

like flu? i don't think so.

More than 2 million American adults, or about 1 percent of the population age 18 and older in any given year, have Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorder typically develops in late adolescence or early adulthood. However, some people have their first symptoms during childhood, and some develop them late in life. It is often not recognized as an illness, and people may suffer for years before it is properly diagnosed and treated. The potential for attempting suicide is high for those suffering from Bipolar Disorder. Like diabetes or heart disease, bipolar disorder is a long-term illness that must be carefully managed throughout a person's life.

Bipolar Disorder is not to be confused with mild mood swings. Those suffering from Bipolar Disorder lead very unstable lives, and the potential of mania or depression is a constant problem for them. Based on the above bipolar statistics, it is clear that Bipolar Disorder affects the lives of many people.
    link

the main problem with today's society is a tendency to just jump to one's own conclusions without any foundation or basis.

Hahaha... okay.

About 1.2 % (or 52K) of Singaporeans are officially diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/b/bipo...ts-country.htm
    http://www.cureresearch.com/b/bipolar/stats-country.htm

A further understanding on what is it.

If you have access to court documents or am able to run through ST search, you'll understand why I said Kleptomanics do usually go to jail.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_337082.html

do you actually know this, or are you just making unreasonable claims that aren't quite fair to anyone out there who's diagnosed with bipolar disorder?

as for kleptomaniacs going to jail, i don't think so.

link

i think you are just really making a lot of claims and trying to pass them off as facts. let's be more fair, shall we?

If you have access to court documents or am able to run through ST search, you'll understand why I said Kleptomanics do usually go to jail.
    so do you read your articles?

Madam Suppiah Muthammah, 56, had been convicted for theft on 11 occasions since 1981, the last being in September 2007 when she was jailed for stealing three night dresses from a department store in Jurong.

But when the court was considering her for probation for this offence, she stole again, this time $310 from a wet market in Jurong West last October.

District Judge Roy Neighbour sentenced Suppiah to 18 months's supervised probation for the two offences last month.
    since when did probation constitute jail?

the story says that the prosecution is appealing against the probation sentence. nothing more.

Maybe I'm wrong. There may be more permanent flu sufferers than 52,000 folks with bipolar disorder in Singapore.

Here's the correct link to the jail cum probation case.

http://www.singaporelawreview.org/20...omment-page-1/

Maybe short term jail shouldn't be considered jail?

so do you read your articles?

since when did probation constitute jail?

the story says that the prosecution is appealing against the probation sentence. nothing more.

Maybe short term jail shouldn't be considered jail?
    oh, of course it is considered jail!

but let's see what the article says, with important parts highlighted in red.
    Rehabilitation, was the most important sentencing consideration in cases of this nature while deterrence and incapacitation were comparatively less significant. Probation would thus usually be the weapon of choice. However, His Honour left open the possibility that incarceration might be appropriate where the offender has demonstrated a deliberate disregard for treatment. This would also be the case if the offender cannot observe a proper course of treatment for want of family support or where he does not respond well to treatment.
    let's compare this to what you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    Even kleptomaniacs goes to jail, so what is bipolar disorder to be used as an excuse to stealing?
    "even kleptomaniacs go to jail".. so tell me.. of course once in a while they go to jail, based on:
    a) deliberate disregard for treatment
    b) cannot observe proper course of treatment for want of family support
    c) does not respond well to treatment

but what is the usual approach according to your own article?

or are you going to claim that kleptomaniacs being sentenced to jail is as common as the flu?

this is my point: 子非鱼,安知鱼之乐?

there is this chinese story about zhuang zi talking to someone else about fish in the water. loosely translated, it means, "you aren't the fish, how do you know if the fish are happy?", in response to a statement that the fish looked happy.

you aren't a bipolar disorder patient, i suppose. how would you know that mood swings don't lead to compulsive theft? i'm not either, but i think they should be given the benefit of the doubt in all fairness, given that the people who spend their time studying these patients or science based on other people studying these patients.. think that bipolar disorder can and might lead to theft.

try to put yourself in a bipolar patient's shoes, and see what you have written. you have called their condition "common as flu", when it is not.. you have called it "an excuse for stealing", when you do not know... where is your ability to sympathise, even if you can't emphatise?
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th September 2009 at 07:24 AM.

Comon, there's no need to be all self-righteous about this issue.

If you tell me someone steals to feed her starving children or parents or something like that, most of us can emphatise and sympathise.

But if you tell me someone steals to buy branded goods and to satisfy her material desires, then she deserves whatever thrown at her.

Mention of sickness or whatever depressions will be the usual defense when caught (very common for celebrities), but if you are bad enough a person, you can fake all those.

Men do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.
    Yet if he is caught, he must pay sevenfold, though it costs him all the wealth of his house.

So don't get caught
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I wonder why no one invited Ris for F1? Or Maybe she got a $38 ticket given our govt said this is not an Elite sport.

Like it or not, Ris is more popular than Hamilton (In Singapore) by any stroke. Was hoping to see her at the circuit, but saw Fonseka instead.

OK, let us all wish the best for her. If she done crime, the law will take it on her fairly. She is famous right now and even an auntie on the street knows her complete story. I tried asking the auntie on the street about Hamilton, she said she dunno what hammer, but she knows Miss Singapore is an "ah lian."

I wish for a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

OK, let us all wish the best for her. If she done crime, the law will take it on her fairly. She is famous right now and even an auntie on the street knows her complete story. I tried asking the auntie on the street about Hamilton, she said she dunno what hammer, but she knows Miss Singapore is an "ah lian."

True true, my mother also know her, cause the Zao Bao and Wan Bao got her as front page news

This Ris Low is just like a big cry baby
    Make a mistake but still try to cover it up, when discovered, try to look pityful, blame medical condition, etc...
    When ask if she'll give up the title, NO WAY!!! THE MONEY THAT COMES WITH IT IS TOO GOOD TO GIVE UP!!!.
    You really think she's asking for another change, she wants to hold on to her dream? It's all about the money!!!
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

It's easy to be classified as having bipolar disorder. Despite it being a big looking word, it is actually as common as flu. If someone's mood is swinging a little too often and doesn't have the capacity to moderate the swings, it can be medically classified as bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder can be short term (event based) or long term.

What I meant in my previous post is that, regardless of bipolar disorder or otherwise, it is inexcusable to steal. Even kleptomaniacs goes to jail, so what is bipolar disorder to be used as an excuse to stealing?

so do you have a close friend or relative whom you interact with a lot who is diagnosed with manic depression? since you seem to know so much

she was caught, given suspended probation... end of story... whether her disorder and her strict father has anything to do with stealing, who knows, anyway she is already being punished with a probation, case closed...

the tricky part is does she deserve to represent Singapore, let the organizers decides...

my personal opinion is for the best interest for everyone that she doesn't, nothing discriminating, its just a matter of getting the right/best canditate to do the right job...

u don't give special privileges to someone just because he/she is an ex-offender, u just dun treat them any indifferent as compare to anyone out there, with all fairness and on equal ground... and to me she is not the best candidate to represent Singapore... simple as that, nothing else...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by riotvan View Post
    so do you have a close friend or relative whom you interact with a lot who is diagnosed with manic depression? since you seem to know so much
    someone once told me that the ones who are most scared and condemning of certain conditions.. often suspect that they have the same condition.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    u don't give special privileges to someone just because he/she is an ex-offender, u just dun treat them any indifferent as compare to anyone out there, with all fairness and on equal ground... and to me she is not the best candidate to represent Singapore... simple as that, nothing else...
    that's a fair statement.

but saying that bipolar disorder is unrelated to stealing, is used as an excuse, or is as common as the common flu... that isn't quite fair in any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    she was caught, given suspended probation... end of story... whether her disorder and her strict father has anything to do with stealing, who knows, anyway she is already being punished with a probation, case closed...

the tricky part is does she deserve to represent Singapore, let the organizers decides...

my personal opinion is for the best interest for everyone that she doesn't, nothing discriminating, its just a matter of getting the right/best canditate to do the right job...

The thing that disgust me is, she's trying to use the 'everyone deserves a 2nd chance' talk to try and manipulate her way out of this whole issue.

When she's given a probation instead of a jail sentence, she already got her 2nd chance.

Question Re: Ris Low: Guilty of credit card fraud

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    The thing that disgust me is, she's trying to use the 'everyone deserves a 2nd chance' talk to try and manipulate her way out of this whole issue.

When she's given a probation instead of a jail sentence, she already got her 2nd chance.
    bro i understand from your point or view... but sometimes things are like that la... just like army... we dun like many things, but we can't change them either...

main thing is we have to be fair to a certain extent, she will got what deserve im sure, if she deserve to represent Singapore, fine, if she is strip of her title, then she has to face it as well...

she can talk all she wants, but the papers are still condemning her...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

1st - Reminder to 'Younger' ClubSNAP-er here... don't think that just because you did your 'Crime' when you were young.... all will be forgiven. What you did years ago can return to BITE you when you least expected. Best to stay 'Straight & Narrow'

2nd - Don't think she should represent Singapore.

3rd - Its better for her to give up the Crown on her own free will now.... then to have it striped from her later.

Just my 2-Cents worth....
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 28th September 2009 at 11:13 AM.

Scuba & Father... For Life

i think to be fair, this is an area that i know little of, i'd give her the benefit of the doubt, seeing how people in the know, i.e. shrinks are diagnosing her with a positive diagnosis.

or are you claiming that they don't know any better, and that they're covering for her? i honestly doubt so.
    There are some parts to the article that i cannot agree with. In recent times, many criminals have started to claim funny medical problems particularly in the Pscyh area to escape fr the punishments.

But to be fair. Bipolar pt has their up and down swing. it is sthg they cannot control when they are in the 'mood'.To my knowledge sometimes even within the profession they can misdiagnose the pt and give the wrong medication which potentially affects the bipolar patient. they can be as low as a depression pt or as high as becomining very aggressive....

whatever the case..this has generate too much publicity for her. too much excuse and the organisers have definitely failed to manage the whole incident and even the event properly

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast