Thread: Is this useful if i want to DIY a ring flash?

Default Is this useful if i want to DIY a ring flash?

is the useful?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1937

thank you on advance for the advise.

Default Re: Is this useful if i want to DIY a ring flash?

I assume you are thinking of making a ring like the picture they provided? Coiled fibre optics? Pardon me if I assumed wrongly. But if that is your intent, I'm not very sure how well the light is gonna come through the sides of an optic fibre (probably not very well, if you ask me). The main use of fibre optics is to channel light from one end to the other end. Some light loss is inherent from the sides, but that depends on the quality of the 2 materials used.

And at US$41, I think I'd rather spend more on a tested and proven product on the shelves than to spend US$41 to test out an idea.

Of course, it's your money! If I'm rich, I would buy it to experiment too! =) I'm just that kind of person... except for the rich part. Haha!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

i think it's better to save up and buy the real thing.

this is Fiber Optic Wires, using it to make ring flash, the light will contain inside the tube, you can't really using it for ring flash.

however, you can use the fiber optic wire to make some interesting stuffs, like lighting up tiny areas, like a beam focusing on jewel, watches etc...
    or light areas from inside an item, like doll house, interior of machinery etc..

such areas are not possible to light using conversion studio lights, making a scope with fiber optic enable to light a small selected areas. you can do a google search about Hosemaster light painting on these.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

You have to take into account other materials and stuffs you will need to DIY a effective Ring Flash.
    And the project may be a failure which leads to wasting of your hard earned money.
    Why not just get the real deal instead?
    Saw from the Mass Sale selling a Sunblitz Ring Flash for $120 only.

wow.. thank you for all the inputs.

im jus bored i guess. thinking of trying new things. lol

Look for macro right light for ready to use macro photography. No that expensive.

There were some home diy idea where that person uses two bending white tube to illuminate above the object to give front and 2x above lighting.

Get a round flash and put a piece of opaque material in the middle of the flash?
    Well, you cant stick your lens through it, but it's worth a try to see if it is different from the real ring flash.