Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone still use film to take photos nowadays?

Default Re: Does anyone still use film to take photos nowadays?

To the original question - yes.

In fact, just received 150 sheets of 4"x5" film and distributed among fellow film shooters.

Digital is best, its the future and its here RIGHT NOW. In fact, everyone who is still hanging on to those 'old cameras’ like Hasselblads, Mamiyas, Contax etc should just give them up. What is the use of a camera that costs you more the more you use it? And no P-mode either! Good lordy, this aint the future.
    PM me, I'll take them off your hands to save you the embarrassment of having to head down to the penin area to trade them in.
    Hurry up, I may reconsider this generous offer*..

* Satire alert. Lomo and Holga users, you're on your own though.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    no. on the basis that film can definitely contain more data (latitude) than digital camera - which until today cannot match film. if that is the short answer you are looking out for. though this is something that may change in far future, as it is more of a factor of technology and cost of production, whereas the physical restrictions of film may not change.

digital have much more versatility than film, becos it is not locked to the physical trait of the film in terms of ISO, film color characteristics etc. there are plenty of discussions on this, and generally it goes down to the familarity to their tools, just like one is used to speaking english and one is used to speaking chinese, their difficulty to learn the other language is not becos of the language itself is difficult. apart from that, digital photography has taken over film as the more convinient medium, with film being now a niche market for those who is after a certain feel or effect.

and another myth. while film photography can be less automated and more difficult to learn/use, they do not necessarily make better photographers or produce better photographs. it depends on the photographer, his resouces, his tools, the subjects/environment, the timing and pure luck. it is yet another myth that only the photographer matters, and not the other factors described earlier.

the reason that digicam is better than film for you, may not be the most impt reason for other people, and not even "in general"
    the same why some people want to lug a DSLR rather than a compact, is similar to why some ppl use film over digital. they are willing to go a futher effort for what they want but which may not be what i want.
    as for the privacy thingy, most ppl have no problems of having their photos seen by people, and in fact would love to share them. of cos, if u do espionage, different story.

How about naughty photos?

Comeon ppl been taking them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post

They develop them in their personal darkrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post

naughty people thinks everyone does that.

For the casual user, a digital point-and-shoot outstrips the hassle and worry about film. However, when it comes to image quality and representation, film performs much better than digital unless the person knows basic PP (post-production).

Film by itself has no whitebalance issue, almost solid contrast/saturation, and if you buy good film you can get good colors! With digital, you need to at least understand the idea of color correction, and basic tweakage of saturation and lighting before your photos really shine.

That said, usually digital has far more advantages over film due to the ability to instantly review the shot, duplicate, share and store without the limitations of a physical medium.

However, the phenomena I'm personally dubbing as "thrill of the hunt" is returning with a vengeance. The fact that you don't have a second chance means that you pay more attention to framing, waiting and then snapping. You won't know if the shot came out as you wanted it to be until it is developed... too late to return and reshoot.

Each is entitled to his/her opinion, I for one support digital atm but I fondly remember my childhood days waiting for the film to rewind before bringing it to the shop =)
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123