Thread: Right eye, left eye?

Default Right eye, left eye?

Do you focus with your right eye or left eye through the viewfinder? Any difference you find?

Default Re: Right eye, left eye?

It depends if you're left-dominant or right-dominant. You'll realize though that most people are right-dominant, which is why DSLR cameras are designed for right-dominant people. Many left-dominant people have complained of their nose pressing the controls on the right side, etc etc
    Alpha

Really ... I'm a right-hander but uses my left eye.

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Do you focus with your right eye or left eye through the viewfinder? Any difference you find?
    Better to use alternate eyes: A couple of shots on the left, and a few on the right.
    Too much squinting on one eye can make u 'blurr', literally as when u try to focus straight after squinting too much, u realise it places too much pressure on the squinted eye and the vision goes blurr for that eye.
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

I use right eye through the viewfinder most of the time. Will keep both eyes open before taking the shot.

Hi, Practise using both eyes so one eye is not lazyier than the other. It is better to use LCD screen often to prevent injury to the eye over time through overuse, especially in bright sunlight outdoor.

I'm ambidextrous, and hence I just make do with whichever eye more convenient at that moment. Is there such thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MettaLife View Post
    Too much squinting on one eye can make u 'blurr', literally as when u try to focus straight after squinting too much, u realise it places too much pressure on the squinted eye and the vision goes blurr for that eye.
    I avoid squinting if possible. Since my right eye is dominant it's easy to focus in the image from there, neglecting the image from open left eye. But sometimes open left eye comes handy to see the surrounding and movements outside the frame. Needs a bit training, though
    EOS

When ur in NS which eye do you train on the target board,

i use right eye at all the time. So far I don't have squing.

this was just asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It depends if you're left-dominant or right-dominant. You'll realize though that most people are right-dominant, which is why DSLR cameras are designed for right-dominant people. Many left-dominant people have complained of their nose pressing the controls on the right side, etc etc
    Hehe, according to my long-ago survey (that was just bumped up), more clubsnappers shoot with left eye! haha.

Do you shoot with your left or right eye : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348448
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Mmm...whichever eye u find is comfortable wen u composing a picture. As long u r comfortable. Tat's all.
    Last edited by reconn; 24th September 2009 at 12:17 PM.

Right more, left less.

Actually depends on the shoot, when I am chasing something, like shooting sports, I keep both open.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Started the thread not knowing this has been discussed in other threads but since many have contributed here, I guess it is ok to move on.

I started with right eye but after I came to know about left eye focusing in a seminar, I tried it to see the difference.

This is what I find after trying both.

With my left hand providing the main support to the camera and elbow closet to my body, left eye focusing is more natural and it allows me to hold the camera firmed and steady. With right eye focusing, I need to move my left hand slightly to the right or move my head slightly to the left, and this is less natural for me. Using left eye to focus also allows me to open both eyes without distraction as the right eye is blocked by the camera and my right hand.

I have decided to switch to left eye focusing.

If I turn the camera vertically for portrait shot, right eye focusing is more comfortable.
    Last edited by LBL2009; 24th September 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Left Eye Shooting has its benefits. Check out Joe McNally's "Da Grip":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Left Eye Shooting has its benefits. Check out Joe McNally's "Da Grip":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
    Thanks for sharing. Good tips.