Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What is Street Photography to you?

Default Re: What is Street Photography to you?

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    i watched a few more of his youtube video and more of his work and I must say, kudos to him to be able to get those shots and I truly believe they're 'gem shots' in his eyes! putting aside how people might negatively react to his style (so far I guess his videos hardly show any negative reactions from his subjects, whether he edited out or not), based on the assumption that most subjects had no time to react in anyway and he really walked off fast (hit and run would be apt to describe what I saw), and he's happy to show the world of his work he's proud to achieve, in that respect, his results proved he's got it and he did what he think the right way to capture those images, good for him. again, if one fine day a man like him walked up to me and made the same shot of me, I'd make known my negative reactions to him, it sounds really irony since I'm a photog trying to achieve the same results, perhaps this subconciousness of feeling too much for the subject is hampering my ability? I don't know, so the story goes....
    Well, all I can say, he did it his way, his style & he made it good.
    Of course one would expect negative & positive replies on what is an ethical style so on & so forth but he did prove his point & made it, silenced the critics.

We cant please everyone in the world really, everyone has got their differnt prespective of what street shooting should be like, street shooting is just such a general term, its up to the photographyer, yourself to define in your own pictures what it means.
    Dont let pictures on forums or on flickr groups like hard core street photography effect the way you shoot, we are not doing this for a living, just pure passion. Well, Bruce Gilden didnt follow the sterotype style like on flickr/forums etc. did he? & yet he made it.

I give thumbs up to Bruce Gilden

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    You must be super thick-skinned and a little short circuit in the brain to take pictures like him, have you hear how he talk to those people on the streets??

And for the comment on the gangster with parang, it will happen, no joke
    Ok la, I take up front but I never flash people Flashing direct is taking your balls test to another level

*edit*
    I feel taking pictures upfront, you have better interaction with your subject, rather than bring the telephoto lens out. I dunno, thats my opinion, everyone has their different view as well.

Well street shooting did start with manual cameras with fixed prime lens didnt they?
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 24th September 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Ok la, I take up front but I never flash people Flashing direct is taking your balls test to another level

I must say the people living in New York are a real tolerant bunch. What's ur take on this bro?

Well, all I can say, he did it his way, his style & he made it good.
    Of course one would expect negative & positive replies on what is an ethical style so on & so forth but he did prove his point & made it, silenced the critics.

We cant please everyone in the world really, everyone has got their differnt prespective of what street shooting should be like, street shooting is just such a general term, its up to the photographyer, yourself to define in your own pictures what it means.

Dont let pictures on forums or on flickr groups like hard core street photography effect the way you shoot, we are not doing this for a living, just pure passion. Well, Bruce Gilden didnt follow the sterotype style like on flickr/forums etc. did he? & yet he made it.

I give thumbs up to Bruce Gilden
    Defining your style is one thing but being intrusive into someone else's boundary is another. Thats how I initially felt about this. You can go gaga over how you wanna execute your shots but it should not pose any danger ,shame, uncomfortable and inconvenience to your subjects.

If someone likes to take a photo of strangers from the bottom up (perhaps upskirtings) claiming that its a style, I don't think we should endorse it.

But again, I wouldn't really know how to feel if I were the subjects. Striking a flash into someone's face is not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by velasco; 24th September 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    I must say the people living in New York are a real tolerant bunch. What's ur take on this bro?
    Everything is really fast moving in NYC, people dont really let this bother really.

i think his approach is just different from what most people do and thats what makes him famous or infamous. i find nothing wrong with his style as long as it lands him the type of shots that he wants. i find the stalking and sniping style done here is more disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Defining your style is one thing but being intrusive into someone else's boundary is another. Thats how I initially felt about this. You can go gaga over how you wanna execute your shots but it should not pose any danger ,shame, uncomfortable and inconvenience to your subjects.

If someone likes to take a photo of strangers from the bottom up (perhaps upskirtings) claiming that its a style, I don't think we should endorse it.

But again, I wouldn't really know how to feel if I were the subjects. Striking a flash into someone's face is not my cup of tea.
    dude, upskirt is not street photography la, that one is pure sickness. No one in their right mind would wanna do that, unless they are perverted.

I am fascinated by Trent Parke. His street photography is mysterious and shows reality we don't notice when we are in the streets. Notably, most of his street shots are in colour.

I don't particularly like Cartier-Bresson but I have to agree with his concept of "decisive moment", which defines street photography very well. So, for me, a good street photography is capturing a moment when events, light, people and things converge into a cohesive scene that either tells a story or gives us a glimpse on the fabric of reality impossible to be seen without a camera. Wow, sounds very long and complicated but I don't know how to write it in a different way.

dude, upskirt is not street photography la, that one is pure sickness. No one in their right mind would wanna do that, unless they are perverted.

Lol, yes I digressed. Haha. Well, who knows? Aiyah, just trying to give examples of such nature. Something that crosses the fine line of being a responsible, civil photographer.

PS: to above poster ; Trent Parke is amazing! Its like disclosing reality in a surreal way.
    Last edited by velasco; 24th September 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Here is a street photography video that was posted in the rangefinder/compacts section, sharing it here.

I believe it was shot on the 5D MkII. I kinda shoot something like the guys in the video, upclose but not so pro like them la, still greenhorn. Use a RF if you do not wanan be too intrusive

Hope the video will be inspiration for all! lol!
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 24th September 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    Lol, yes I digressed. Haha. Well, who knows? Aiyah, just trying to give examples of such nature. Something that crosses the fine line of being a responsible, civil photographer.
    Yep sure, no problem, everyone is entitled their opinion . There definetly is a fine line not to cross. Dont wanna end up on the wrong side of the law in Singapore really Taking upskirt or stuff like that is a big nono.
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 24th September 2009 at 05:46 PM.

i don't agree or endorse bruce gilden's way of doing things, but i like some of the results he gets. it is a very interesting way of looking at things, a very gung ho way.

it is just like how ronald speirs (band of brothers fame, perhaps) is crazy enough to run through enemy lines to contact another company. i can't agree with what he did, it was mad.. i won't do it either, because i'm not mad.. but hey, he did something good, and we should be glad that people like him exist.

he hasn't hit or killed anyone.. i just wonder what will happen if he does though.. imagine if you are an old man with a weak heart and someone looking like him flashes you.. (with a flash, i mean, what were you thinking? )

anyways, trent parke is amazing, i agree. the way he works with light is magic

Quote Originally Posted by psalmanazar View Post
    I am fascinated by Trent Parke. His street photography is mysterious and shows reality we don't notice when we are in the streets...
    yes, i guess it's like a total opposite to Bruce' approach, I'm sure he thinks longer before taking the shot? very surreal and almost like street salon hahaha. Great stuff there and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    anyways, trent parke is amazing, i agree. the way he works with light is magic
    Agree.

I came across this article in BJP which might be of interest.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=869034

Trent Parke is one of the photographers highlighted in the article.

another one from flickr

sakura-love

Street photography is mostly about taking pictures of people.

One of the reasons why I don't "shoot" people is the intrusion of privacy.

I don't like having my pictures taken myself and don't think people appreciate having their photos taken without permission. Now if it was just a happy snap and you are also in the picture then that should be ok.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

It's about interesting sightings and people expression.
    This is what I think about street photography.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Street photography is mostly about taking pictures of people.

One of the reasons why I don't "shoot" people is the intrusion of privacy.

I don't like having my pictures taken myself and don't think people appreciate having their photos taken without permission. Now if it was just a happy snap and you are also in the picture then that should be ok.

I can see how you feel from your point of view.
    However did you realize there are thousands of people
    who cannot avoid having their pictures taken
    everyday by photographers who were either on
    assignment or not?

Once you learn to see the bigger picture, life is but
    a dream come true when you can open up to receive
    what could have been given to you.

Have a nice day and make your dream come true by
    knowing your potential.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    It's about interesting sightings and people expression.
    This is what I think about street photography.
    More important is that active photographers must go out
    and make efforts to record these events for future
    generations to appreciate.

Know what street photography is all about but hate to
    lift your camera to record the instant event happening
    right in front of your eyes can be shortchanging yourself,
    don't you think so?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast