Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Street Photography to you?

Default Re: What is Street Photography to you?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    street photography section in clubsnap is mixed with candids.

that said, i'll be fair and blunt, i find the streets of singapore (and asia, in general), much less interesting than in places like london. london is just a lot more quirky, i don't know how to describe it.

Guess u r not a street photographer bro?
    There is no place in this world that is less or more interesting.
    It's how u make them interesting and capture the best moment anywhere.

///

Quote Originally Posted by eamesboy View Post

///
    i am not serious enough to call myself one.

all places are interesting, that is for sure, but i am not interested in the people in singapore.. at least they provide little humour for me. for singapore, it is the landscape that intrigues me.

all places are interesting, that is for sure, but i am not interested in the people in singapore.. at least they provide little humour for me. for singapore, it is the landscape that intrigues me.

So now all places are interesting? I am a little blur now.
    Are we talking about street photography or landscape now?

///

///
    what i'm saying is that..

different things are interesting to different people for different places.

i don't think every street in the world appeals to every street photographer.. some cities just speak louder to them.

for me, singapore streets speak nothing. on the other hand, there is a lot of fun to be found on london streets, with less hostility in general, at least when you are discovered to be photographing.. also, i like the landscape in singapore a lot more than what is to be found in london.

sorry for the randomness, i can get that way sometimes.

///
    I am blur too bro.... are we talking abt street photography??? or landscape???

I think getting a gd pic sometime like kana 4D like that. Happen at the right place at the right time... as long as we are passionate in recording , I am sure there's something interesting ... correct me if I am wrong..

I think in Singapore and CS, street photography definition is a bit funny (not all of course)
    - 1. It must be taken on the street, cat on pavement included.
    - 2. It should be on Orchard , Chinatown, Little India
    - 3. The most common annoying form is "Tele on Orchard, snipe at cute girls walking by"

I like HCB and Eugene Richard, 2 extremes, 1 very graphic, 1 very story,documentary.

For me,street photography is that outhere,something,someone,some events,situation,moment,angle touch you in someway,simply beautiful,tell you a story,stir up some thoughts,give you some humour,surprise, and u wish to record it, candidly.

I agree,that someplace is more interesting. Of course to whom,so no debate.It's like debate My girlfriend much more interesting than yours all (to me )
    , all human being is interesting,ya, but eh.... u sure some not more interesting than others ? And some make u dread ? No ?

Landscape/cityscape can be street actually..... Even better,combine the element of people and landscape into one like some of old Magnum master work, especially HCB. Don't let the rule dictate you that people only is street photography.

Say,imagine the shot of the junction in shinjuku,no people,no cars,not a hint,wind blow, newspaper fly in the air in the corner of photo, sun rise at the furthest close to center focal point, the cloud is kind of redish yellowish gold,1/3 or central between the silhoulte of building, may be middle of 2 highrise building,above the road stretch toward horizone, the city color kind of cold tone, blue. Taken on pedestrian angle, eye level, may be higher a bit, wide angle. Give u kind of feeling of salaryman up early in the morning, chill cold, yet the air getting warmer and the day just start, both individual feel of street, but include landscape,city scape... I think. May be add some zombie dieing...Ha ha ha.

THat's why u use wide angle so much...the context,surrounding tell the story in streetphotography, no ?

I have my rules though, no flash(i hate it when people flash me,and how u take cute girl photo secretly) ,and do not make people uncomfortable , u steal their photo is bad enough, don't be a robber.

"Landscape/cityscape can be street actually..... Even better,combine the element of people and landscape into one like some of old Magnum master work, especially HCB. Don't let the rule dictate you that people only is street photography. "

Why dont we start a new thread and post pic rather than talk so much.....U all think its a gd idea???
    Last edited by nordleadx; 23rd September 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    ... entirely in your own opinion and context. No right or wrong answers here.
    Shooting anyone or anything that interests you, a lass, a hunk, a special moment...
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

street photography section in clubsnap is mixed with candids.

that said, i'll be fair and blunt, i find the streets of singapore (and asia, in general), much less interesting than in places like london. london is just a lot more quirky, i don't know how to describe it.
    Yesyes I agree that streets of ingapore is much less interesting.
    However, I always go to the back alleys, hoping to find something that the main streets doesn't possess.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

///

Well. I believe night86mare has a point.
    Okay let's not discuss who or what is real street photographer or whatever.
    But, I believe it is how the people shapes out the street photography like.
    What I am trying to say is, on the streets, when you are pointing your cam at the direction of the people, either they walk away, or they cover their face.
    That is why the bold part.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    ..when you are pointing your cam at the direction of the people, either they walk away, or they cover their face...
    this varies from photog to photog, subjects to subjects, I recall Steve McCurry's comments on CNA recently he had a better time photographing people in SG and in Asia, perhaps it's due to his skin? Many factors contribute to such reactions from your intended subjects, and they're many ways photog overcome them. One of which is interacting with your subject, of course 2 questions immediately come to my mind, should you interact with your subject? and interacting with your subject result in more negative reactions? I don't know, yes and no? right or wrong? you be the judge to your style and your work.

What I am trying to say is, on the streets, when you are pointing your cam at the direction of the people, either they walk away, or they cover their face.
    sorry but have to disagree. it depends on how u go about doing it. its abt being discreet and assimilating yourself into the culture where u are shooting.
    Last edited by flipfreak; 23rd September 2009 at 01:57 PM.

What point does he give you?
    Please read the thread title bro.

If you feel Singapore or Asia is much less interesting places like london.
    I have nothing to say. I am sure in Asia has better and interesting Than London.

Street photography is all about the moment! The moment at the right time
    when is happen. Totally different with landscape photography.
    No one can duplicate the same street photo the next day!

///

what i'm saying is that..

different things are interesting to different people for different places.

i don't think every street in the world appeals to every street photographer.. some cities just speak louder to them.

for me, singapore streets speak nothing. on the other hand, there is a lot of fun to be found on london streets, with less hostility in general, at least when you are discovered to be photographing.. also, i like the landscape in singapore a lot more than what is to be found in london.

sorry for the randomness, i can get that way sometimes.

What I am trying to say is.

If u feel Singapore streets speak nothing. Why not you shoot some pictures
    to show us how interesting is London compare to Singapore and Asia. What you think bro?

///

seems like a gd idea

I dont understand why Asia, being the biggest continent around with many countries, citys places to visit, can be less interesting than one city in the UK

Please enlighten me.

please note, i am not forcing it on people and stating that london is the place for street photography. what i'm saying is that, for me, there are countless more photograph opportunities when it comes to street photography. it can be because of reasons, i can only guess at them. who knows how my mind works? i don't even know, do you profess to know?

things like:

1) the fact that while i am residing within london, it is probably going to be only temporary, the mentality and approach is going to be different

2) the fact that while the police there are given powers to harass photographers, the general culture is to ignore, rather than to confront. i have had 1 sole confrontation even when i do street photography much more extensively there; in the numerous holidays and shooting in singapore, i have encountered at least 5 occurences, when i only dabble in it.

3) london buildings are for the most part, closer to each other. it is far denser in terms of building. i love light, i like to use it when shooting street photography. i am not interested in capturing a journalistic view of things. because of the layout of the city, it is much more conducive for that sort of photography.

4) singapore is cosmopolitan to a degree, london takes it way further. other than the mixture of people, races, there are also issues like seasons, the manner of garb is much more fluid and varied. that is a fact.

these are my reasons. i have a london thread in the streets and candids section, i am curious why you are still asking me to double post.

much of what i see from singapore "street photographers" (self proclaimed) are just snaps of daily life. that, to me, is not street photography. something like what i see in HCSP and ESP in flickr, something that says something - and not just random snapshots that were taken with bokeh, or just given credit because "wa, you got balls to shoot like that"... that doesn't excite me.

perhaps it is because i grew up in singapore, much of what is seen here has become mundane to me. i acknowledge that i am not being entirely objective here. but i know my point of view. and no one needs to take mine, because i am not trying to shove it down your throats.

Quote Originally Posted by nordleadx View Post
    seems like a gd idea
    it's a safe topic as nothing one says here can be 100% right nor wrong, so feel free to 'express' yourselves Afterall, Street Photography itself is already illed-defined in the first place, how wrong/right can you get? Rather I think unheard definitions would supplement my understanding for the things I never thought of possible, why is that a bane?

Unless you said Street is NOT THE SAME as NUDE photography!!! But wait... why not? If I photographed some people running nude in the street (doesn't that sound familar for a couple's stint in Holland V not too distant back?). So is everything else a subset of Street? hmmmm.... that's debatable and I think my answer is NO at this moment

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    I dont understand why Asia, being the biggest continent around with many countries, citys places to visit, can be less interesting than one city in the UK

Please enlighten me.
    well, i don't know.

things like.. ang moh back views when they are holding hand.. a person sitting on a bench with cluttered background.. stolen shots of girls shopping..

i can't say that these excite me. maybe they do excite you.

and as a note, landscape photography isn't something you can duplicate the next moment if you just keep at it. some light, you get once in a lifetime. maybe similarities will be there, but there are subtle differences.

street photography in singapore as a whole (at least here) has become something very warped from the days of HCB. he pushed the concept of the "decisive moment", a moment that was different. i think he meant that it had to stand out, something that made it different from other moments..

here in singapore, it has been warped into anything that is different.. in that case, anything goes. it is a matter of stating the obvious, "oh, this guy will never be at this spot at the EXACT same position at the SAME TIME again..".. you'll have to forgive me if i disagree with that.
    Last edited by night86mare; 23rd September 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast