Thread: Manual vs auto focus

Default Manual vs auto focus

Hi,

I have a D90 and I've been using film lenses on my camera this whole time and getting quite fast at setting manual settings, but I was wondering if an autofocus lens (G series) is worthwhile for taking those "in the moment" shots where I won't have time to fiddle around with settings.

Choosing between Nikon 50mm F/1.2, 50mm F/1.4D or 50mm F/1.4G.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Keith

Default Re: Manual vs auto focus

Quote Originally Posted by Keith78 View Post
    Hi,

I have a D90 and I've been using film lenses on my camera this whole time and getting quite fast at setting manual settings, but I was wondering if an autofocus lens (G series) is worthwhile for taking those "in the moment" shots where I won't have time to fiddle around with settings.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Keith
    if you ask my opinion...wait for those in the 30~35mm range as its more versatile as opposed to 50mm which on a crop camera is like tele already.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

the best way is just rent the lens and try it out yourself, nobody know how you feel/like/dislike/handling the lenses other than yourself.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Just wondering, what do you mean by film lenses and manual settings? Are you referring to manual lenses?

If you are referring to manual lenses, the good thing about the AF lenses is that you will gain the ability to meter on your D90.

In terms of AF speed, the speed of the 'D' and 'G' lenses are pretty similar (no difference in terms of metering for them as both are set using the dials on the camera body). Even with AFS lenses, they are just slightly faster.

Autofocus is much preferred for efficiency

Hi,

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Keith
    You want a quick snap and run type... go for AF.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Such narrow aperature you're better off Auto. Manual you'd get v high chance of errors.

Blog Entries

Is there a AF-D or G 50/1.2 out there? I think the only f/1.2 available is the AiS 50mm/1.2. It will neither autofocus nor meter on a D90. But it is a great lens.