Thread: HDMI cable

Default HDMI cable

Does anybody here know the difference between a cheap and no brand $28 HDMI-HDMI cable and $64 with brand?
    I wonder why the huge price difference between these two.

Default Re: HDMI cable

You are paying for,

(1) brand name
    (2) better shielding vs normal shielding/no shielding
    (3) better connector head, moulded vs screw-in vs gold-plated
    (4) better quality of the conductor used, normal copper vs OFC vs purer grade copper or silver or other precious metal

It is always what-you-pay-is-what-you-get. Cheap cables get the job done, but better (and most of the time, more expensive) cables make you enjoy your audio/video better.

For bigger screen (40" and beyond) and using DVD/BR materials, the effect of using the cheaper cable and the more expensive cable is obvious and visible.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    You are paying for,

(1) brand name
    (2) better shielding vs normal shielding/no shielding
    (3) better connector head, moulded vs screw-in vs gold-plated
    (4) better quality of the conductor used, normal copper vs OFC vs purer grade copper or silver or other precious metal

It is always what-you-pay-is-what-you-get. Cheap cables get the job done, but better (and most of the time, more expensive) cables make you enjoy your audio/video better.

For bigger screen (40" and beyond) and using DVD/BR materials, the effect of using the cheaper cable and the more expensive cable is obvious and visible.
    Hi AJ23,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I just want to connect my MIO SETBOX into my 32" FHD LCD.
    So I guess, based on the information above, a cheapo brandless $28 HDMI cable should do the job, right?

Agreed with AJ, the signal loss will be much more evident as your equipment sensitivity increases. Just like scratches on a CD may not be that fatal but on a DVD it is.

It would seem that you're already investing on a HDTV and the other equipment.... so why scrimp on the cabling for +- $20?
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    I just want to connect my MIO SETBOX into my 32" FHD LCD.
    So I guess, based on the information above, a cheapo brandless $28 HDMI cable should do the job, right?
    Hmm... IMO, get a branded one, and keep the length short, <1m would be good.

For your setup, I would reckon a sub-$50 HDMI cable would be good, don't need those 80-hundreds and beyond. There's a few brands that would fit in this category, Belkin, Monster, etc. Check out the HD section of the Challenger @ Funan, they got quite a collection there for different brands, lengths and prices.

For your setup, I would reckon a sub-$50 HDMI cable would be good, don't need those 80-hundreds and beyond. There's a few brands that would fit in this category, Belkin, Monster, etc. Check out the HD section of the Challenger @ Funan, they got quite a collection there for different brands, lengths and prices.
    Agreed.
    Will visit Funan/SL this week.

AJ, still playing with Audio and home theater?

There is not that much difference between the no brand and the budget cable if the length is < 3m.
    Make sure it is a 1.3v cable.

For longer lengths, get the better ones.

Try here for more info:
    http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=63140.0

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    Does anybody here know the difference between a cheap and no brand $28 HDMI-HDMI cable and $64 with brand?
    I wonder why the huge price difference between these two.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    There is not that much difference between the no brand and the budget cable if the length is < 3m.
    Make sure it is a 1.3v cable.

For longer lengths, get the better ones.

Try here for more info:
    http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=63140.0

Cheers
    In other words, if my HDMI cable is <3m in length, buying a cheap no frills vs say a more expensive Monster cable would not give me a perceptible difference in audio or visual quality, right?

This is in the context of watching movies on a 52" LCD TV.

Thanks!

The potential yield is low compared to putting the money towards a better BR player or amp.

Whatever small differences will be negated by other potential factors, including the power cables, the amp, the player, the disc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    In other words, if my HDMI cable is <3m in length, buying a cheap no frills vs say a more expensive Monster cable would not give me a perceptible difference in audio or visual quality, right?

This is in the context of watching movies on a 52" LCD TV.

Thanks!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm