Thread: Which entry level DSLR?

Default Which entry level DSLR?

Hi guys,

I know you've probably seen tons of questions about this before, but even though I've scoured the internet for reviews and information, I'm still not entirely sure which DSLR I should go with. I'm hoping that you guys can offer that final, crucial piece of advice to me

I've been reading vigorously about the following cameras:
    - Canon EOS 450D
    - Canon EOS 500D
    - Canon EOS 1000D
    - Nikon D5000

Three things that I find important to note:

- I don't care about video - at all. I will only be using the camera for taking pictures. I've had various point and shoot cameras in the past 6-7 years, and in total I've shot 3-4 videos or so. And none of them were "serious" in any respect.

- I'll be doing a fair bit of night photography, since this is starting to become my main hobby Both long exposures, but also more "spontaneous" higher ISO shots. I'd like a camera that I can mount a 50mm 1.8 lens to, and shoot some good shots at a club for instance without the use of a flash. Therefore, level of noise is a key factor.

- I'd like to do some prints. Not poster size, but not standard size small ones either. I'm thinking 20" x 20" or 25" x 25" at most.

Now, the video-part makes me think that I don't have any reason to go for the 500D and should rather go for one of the others, and that I should rather use the money on higher quality lenses in the future.

However, the 500D has more megapixel. Will all of them be enough for the prints I want? Of couse I don't want more MP if the image doesn't look any better

I think the noise output of the 1000D is pretty good actually, and it's quite cheap as well, leaving more money for future lenses... However, I'm afraid that I won't be able to grow with this camera. I don't want to invest in a DSLR now (even though I realize that I'm on a stretched budget) and have to change it in a year or so. 1000D doesn't have spot metering, for instance, which seems to be an important feature.

The D5000 handles noise very well and has a nice rotating screen, but it has some other problems. There's no internal motor, meaning that the aforementioned 50mm 1.8 lens would have to be somewhat more expensive than if I went with one of the Canons. Also, D5000 doesn't have a DOF button, which is a feature I'm really interested in.

I've had all the cameras in my hand and shot a few pics with them, and in all fairness, I like the feel of all of them So it mainly comes down to the specs.

Thanks in advance guys, hope you can help

Default Re: Which entry level DSLR?

Why don't you compare the high ISO shots of these cameras on dpreview? That seems to be the only limiting factor for you now.
    Alpha

between the 3 canons i would pick the 500D simply because it is the latest release among the trio. plus points, more megapixel, slightly faster fps, video (u might not need it, but can be a handy option), bigger LCD, digi 4 processor, 9AF pts. but then the 450D is abt the same as the 500D minus video, less pixel, digi 3 processor. so once u can narrow of to 1 canon then the decision between 5000D n the canon is really up to u

You can consider D3000 too.

Thanks for the replies guys

I've looked at the D3000 as well, but I think the noise levels are much higher than the competitors

500d ftw
    Playing with M43.

Blog Entries

Hmmm.. gone are the days when we were using film and we have to stick to whichever ISO film we loaded...

Quote Originally Posted by trifecta View Post
    Hi guys,

I know you've probably seen tons of questions about this before, but even though I've scoured the internet for reviews and information, I'm still not entirely sure which DSLR I should go with. I'm hoping that you guys can offer that final, crucial piece of advice to me

- Canon EOS 450D
    - Canon EOS 500D
    - Canon EOS 1000D
    - Nikon D5000

Three things that I find important to note:

- I don't care about video - at all. I will only be using the camera for taking pictures. I've had various point and shoot cameras in the past 6-7 years, and in total I've shot 3-4 videos or so. And none of them were "serious" in any respect.

- I'll be doing a fair bit of night photography, since this is starting to become my main hobby Both long exposures, but also more "spontaneous" higher ISO shots. I'd like a camera that I can mount a 50mm 1.8 lens to, and shoot some good shots at a club for instance without the use of a flash. Therefore, level of noise is a key factor.

- I'd like to do some prints. Not poster size, but not standard size small ones either. I'm thinking 20" x 20" or 25" x 25" at most.

Now, the video-part makes me think that I don't have any reason to go for the 500D and should rather go for one of the others, and that I should rather use the money on higher quality lenses in the future.

However, the 500D has more megapixel. Will all of them be enough for the prints I want? Of couse I don't want more MP if the image doesn't look any better

I think the noise output of the 1000D is pretty good actually, and it's quite cheap as well, leaving more money for future lenses... However, I'm afraid that I won't be able to grow with this camera. I don't want to invest in a DSLR now (even though I realize that I'm on a stretched budget) and have to change it in a year or so. 1000D doesn't have spot metering, for instance, which seems to be an important feature.

The D5000 handles noise very well and has a nice rotating screen, but it has some other problems. There's no internal motor, meaning that the aforementioned 50mm 1.8 lens would have to be somewhat more expensive than if I went with one of the Canons. Also, D5000 doesn't have a DOF button, which is a feature I'm really interested in.

I've had all the cameras in my hand and shot a few pics with them, and in all fairness, I like the feel of all of them So it mainly comes down to the specs.

Thanks in advance guys, hope you can help
    If you want a Nikon that allows full functionality with the 50/1.8, you gotta go D50/D70/D80 and above.
    I'd have recommended a used D80 w kit lens, but then you mentioned high-ISO capability, and I'm worried the D80 will disappoint in that regard. I daren't really go higher than ISO500 or 640.
    The mid-range Nikons have the added capability of wireless flash commander, which might or might not be interesting to you...

But purely to satisfy your criteria:
    1) high ISO
    2) can use with 50/1.8

I think you gotta stick with the Canons unless your budget can stretch to $1.7K just for D90 + kit lens.
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

With your requirements, only the Canon 500D fits the bill. There you go, that's your answer.

And shooting in a club without flash will be hard even for a 50mm f/1.8. You might want to consider the f/1.2 or at least a f/1.4

go for 450D (the price difference btw 500D and 450D is quite big!) cos 450D dun have HD video which suits you (same as you, i dun give a **** for HD video). You can use the savings from buying a 500D to buy a better lens.

And when you are ready, just upgrade to a better body and continue to use your existing lens.

Canon is a cheaper option...
    save $ for better like lens 50mm/1.4
    Currently I'm still using Canon 400D just tweaks the ISO to 3200...yeah

[QUOTE=trifecta;5459091]Hi guys,

- Canon EOS 450D
    - Canon EOS 500D
    - Canon EOS 1000D
    - Nikon D5000

500D canon
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/