Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which camera mode and settings to use for wedding shots

Default Re: which camera mode and settings to use for wedding shots

To TS, these are some advices when I have 2nd fresh photographer tagging along:

Communicate with the main photographer, ask him how you can compliments the wedding shots from different angles. Also, try to offer help if you are needed for crowds control.

Remember, don't block him ~ And try to get candids shots assuming the main photographer will take care of the complete events flow.

Regarding which mode to use, learn how to get the right exposure for flash. Once you got it right, you won't need to change it most of the time (thus, use MANUAL mode) under similar lighting and TTL mode for flash.

Hope this helps.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by reconn
    Wow, I did't think I could spark a debate. Quite shocked to c some quite hostile. I take it positively no worries. I apologise if my inputs not relevant here. Some will understand I believe. No worries.
    Your comments very controversial mah... don't think those pros out there use ISO 3200 and f/1.4 or f/1.8 for wedding shoots. Maybe some of the shots but probably not the group shots etc.
    Office cannot check facebook. I'm curious to see what type of wedding photos you've got up there with prime lens.

Anyway I don't think any of the replies were hostile la. A bit sarcastic or blunt maybe...
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    Agreed. Anyway, jus sharing some of the photos here. We all hav passion for great photos I believe. Shots with/without prime lens...

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=592959375

would love to join guys here for learning n sharing photoshoot.
    The link cannot view eh, I also want to see iso 3200 sia.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Blog Entries

-deleted- opppsss meant for another thread not here...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd September 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Originally Posted by reconn
    Best camera use for wedding, choose full frame regardless wat brands. ISO is tolerable up to 3200 with prime lens. Hence if u using camera such as the 450d. Stick to prime lens in or outdoors. Flash use for group shots only wen necessary. Lens apperture f1.4-1.8 is the best for weddings.

Lol. A wedding photographer like him is going to spoilt someone's else wedding photography.
    1) Full frame or crop sensor doesn't matter. Its the skill and composition of the photographer.
    2) In wedding photography, the most importance is to capture the right moments regardless of ISO setting. ISO setting is not the priority. Grainy photos with perfect moments is better than quality photos without nice moments.
    3) You HARDLY use F1.4 - F1.8 for wedding.
    4) Flash for group shots, how many flashes you intend to mount to cover the group?
    How many flashes use for groupy? This is something new. U tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    The link cannot view eh, I also want to see iso 3200 sia.
    The ISO variable numbers used bro. Depending how dark the area u wanna shoot at. With prime lens can use all the way to 3200 with minimum noise compared with slow lens if dun wanna use flash. Wedding photos look stunning without flash. I'm sure u agree.

U guys never shoot low light with primes before? I'm not just talking about 50mm only...
    Last edited by reconn; 22nd September 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    The ISO variable numbers used bro. Depending how dark the area u wanna shoot at. With prime lens can use all the way to 3200 with minimum noise compared with slow lens if dun wanna use flash. Wedding photos look stunning without flash. I'm sure u agree.

U guys never shoot low light with primes before? I'm not just talking about 50mm only...
    I've seen many stunning wedding photos with flash
    I can't access the link you gave... the proof is in the pudding!

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I've seen many stunning wedding photos with flash
    I can't access the link you gave... the proof is in the pudding!
    I've seen it too. Especially off camera flash.
    perhaps u wanna add me in facebook: preitorion@yahoo.com
    Last edited by reconn; 23rd September 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nismonur View Post
    I been approach by my friend to be his 2nd photographer, but i only had my canon 500d for 3 months and i am still in the stage of exploring my camera. i have also borrow the canon speed-lite from my friend, its either the 580 or 430. can't recall

in order for the shots to look good what mode should i set my camera to? the aperture and ISO settings?
    I have to agree wif Octarine and Zerocool: I'd be worried if I were u- If its a night time indoor wedding, then u got a headache, as flash fotography isn't easy: U gotta know yr flash setup very well, and also the technical basics.

Best to take yr flash, cam, the lens u wish to use and start shooting in a similar sized room, similar height ceiling, similar lighting, etc and get familiar wif yr flash settings, exposure, and aperture.

This website very useful for beginners: U may wanna read up prior to the wedding...
    http://www.all-things-photography.co...otography.html
    http://www.mettalifephotography.com/

I have a amateur question..

Can he use f1.4 or f1.2 lens and don't use external flash at all?

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    I have a amateur question..

Can he use f1.4 or f1.2 lens and don't use external flash at all?
    with such a fast lens, it MAY be possible to get the exposure levels ok without flash.
    If the interior lights aren't well dispersed though, you might get weird shadows across people's faces.
    But the biggest concern would be that the depth of field would be too thin, thus causing lack of sharpness in certain parts of the photo that you may want sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    with such a fast lens, it MAY be possible to get the exposure levels ok without flash.
    If the interior lights aren't well dispersed though, you might get weird shadows across people's faces.
    But the biggest concern would be that the depth of field would be too thin, thus causing lack of sharpness in certain parts of the photo that you may want sharp.
    DOF, if u shoot closer to the subject using say 50mm f1.4, u will get shallow DOF. U want sharp, shoot a little backwards. U dun have to shoot wide open as long u're shutter is fast enough. Do metering, spot u're focus point where u want it to be sharp. What u will get sharp images and nice bokeh. Experimental. Using prime lens is an art, it seperates things u want to be sharp, the rest doesn't. Some well known wedding photographers use prime if u wonder y u didn't c flash looked images. Great for moments. In a very poor light but u want to have that dramatic effect, boost up the ISO. That's y i say the best camera to do wedding shoot r full frame. But this is a newbie thread so i dun think full frame owner can be found here. I'm not using full frame myself though. ISO for full frame can boost up real high. Hence, if it's get too dark and the shutter is too slow, use flash. Experiment like I said. Those who already did wedding photography will know this theory. View some images taken here in the wedding photography thread. Look carefully at those images. Any flash? Most are natural ambient lights...End of the day, it's u're work and how creative u want u're photos to be and not just sharp sharp everywhere...cheers bro.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...475507&page=24
    Last edited by reconn; 23rd September 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123